View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Thank you for giving me my father back for a brief moment

A few years ago, my dad was diagnosed with a disease called dementia with Lewy bodies. He's weak, frail, disoriented, thinks my mom is his nurse, and doesn't know who I am most of the time. It's horrible to watch the most important person in your life wither away in front of you by a disease no one understands. I've been through a lot in my life. I've made mistakes. My dad always encouraged, forgave, and loved me.

My dad is usually completely unaware if what's going on after 8pm. He was alert and lucid all night. He stayed awake and was alert. We hollered and cheered the entire game. This has not happened in years. Years.

Ive broken down in tears several times trying to write this. At the end of the game, my dad, in a moment of complete clarity and normalcy, remembered a time years ago when we traveled from Raleigh North Carolina to FedEx field to watch a redskins game. He told me it was one of his favorite memories and that he treasured it. He can't remember who I am most of the time, but after this victory, he remembered that. He remembered me, and a special trip we took together. I will treasure tonight forever. Not because the skins won, but because, for a brief moment, I had my father back. I might not not ever have him "back" again. I just wanted to say thank you, redskins. You gave me a moment with my father I may never get again. My father knows who I am. And he loves me. Thank you.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04665 seconds with 10 queries