View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #43
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Jack Del Rio Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I didn't like Manusky's defenses either, but the sack rate ranked 4th in 2019.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl/2019

That's not no pressure on the QB.

I think it's more accurate to say the pressure was inconsistent, especially against good qbs who could beat a blitz.

I can't find the numbers right off, those with a pff sub probably could, but I believe we blitzed alot. I also believe those blitz's weren't good against good QBs.

I also don't believe the blitzes were coached well and timed well. Good teams picked them up.

I also agree Del Rio is going to be a huge improvement. The two just have very different styles.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Redskins had a great sack number but ultimately it meant NOTHING because the defense was rated 27th in the NFL. An example is Giant’s QB Jones who toasted us for FIVE TD passes - this is a rookie QB who struggled mightily against many other teams. The sack number tells me that we have the raw talent on our DL, if used properly.

By going to a 4-3 we’ll properly use our DL talent, so that the EDGE rushers aren’t falling back into coverage instead of pressuring the QB.

Blitzing or stunting just makes the QB’s analysis of the defense (right before the snap) that much more difficult. I don’t have any numbers to back up my assertion that the Redskins did not often blitz or stunt. If we draft Chase Young we won’t need to blitz very often, but by stunting a lot, the QB won’t be able to assume it’s just a normal 4 man rush.

I believe we will see an immediate and substantial improvement in the defense under Del Rio / Rivera. Both coaches have taken bad defenses and made them elite quickly. I think our defense will take 2 years to get there. Getting Chase Young and some good FA in the backfield will have an immediate effect, but Manusky dug us a big hole to get out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04094 seconds with 10 queries