View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #37
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: How many starting RBs are worse than Portis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Calling him a disgrace may be a bit of a stretch, he does have issues however, some fotball related and some not. I think some people are beginning to wonder if he's actually still worth the price or the time. BTW had he cut back inside Sellers block he would have scored. The fact he didn't is reflective of his lack of ability to change directions at full speed, a quality neccessary for a featured RB.
Good post. Above is the key point. Two plays yesterday showcased this. The swing pass where he couldn't lose the LB and was tackled for no gain and the pitch play to the outside where the KC safety closed and rather than beat him to the sideline for 4 or 5 yds, CP tried to cut back, knowing he doesn't have the explosiveness the once had.

CP is an old back in terms of carries. Right now he is simply a downfield runner, and good in pass-pro. The OL was average in run blocking yesterday, the holes were mostly there, aside from a couple break-downs. CP just lacks the second gear to get through the hole and explode into the seocnd level. We are not L or R run dominant, over the last 3-4 games the L/R balance has been there. For the Panthers and Chiefs we also have gotten away from running the Stretch on every run play.

Portis is certainly not worth $8-10M / season in a capped or uncapped year. He will be gone after this year.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.05956 seconds with 10 queries