View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Bobby Beathard in, Joe Jacoby snubbed HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
You can’t have a conversation about the Hogs without talking about Jacoby. Grimm and Jacoby were definitely the top Hogs, JJ deserves it.
Yes he does,even LT thinks so.

Interesting read from a few years ago.

Jacoby Deserves His Day in ‘The Room’ « CBS DC

(Credit: Mike Powell/Allsport)
Joe Jacoby, the standout left tackle of the Hogs during the Redskins’ glory days in the 1980s, will learn Thursday night whether he will finally become a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame for the first time.

Jacoby is concerned that there’s a mistaken impression that he was responsible for failing to block New York Giants Hall of Fame pass rusher Lawrence Taylor on the sack that ended Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann’s illustrious career on “Monday Night Football” in 1985. That play has become even more infamous since that’s how the 2009 Oscar-winning movie, “The Blind Side,” begins. Trouble is, Jacoby missed that game with a knee injury, giving Taylor a break.

“The hardest thing for me to deal with was that big, agile left tackle,” Taylor told author Michael Lewis in the book that led to the movie.

Taylor figured that if he couldn’t outmuscle Jacoby, he’d try to lure the 6-foot-7, 305-pound lineman into putting his hands up prematurely. If Jacoby did, Taylor would turn on the jets and aim for the quarterback.

In an email, Taylor called Jacoby, “a very tough player. We had such great battles. For a bigger guy, he was able to move so although I was more athletic, he could really hold his own. The Hogs were all excellent players, but certainly Joe and [Hall of Fame left guard] Russ Grimm were the anchors of that line. To do it for as long as he did on such a high level, it’s a surprise to me that he’s not in Canton already.”

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06409 seconds with 10 queries