View Single Post
Old 05-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
It's hard for me to think of it as MORE of a mistake when no draft pick was wasted.

Your question is a good one but it's just impossible to answer now. If one of our three current QBs really establishes himself this year (hopefully Griffin), then it won't be a mistake.

If they don't then we could have this discussion, it would only be a mistake if the QBs we passed on in 2015 end up looking good. Like if Petty or Hundley tear it up then yeah we will kick ourselves.

It's just too early to say. But as of right now I am a fan of our draft, we needed an attitude adjustment in the form of big nasty players to help establish an identity of toughness. I liked that every pick had toughness and competitiveness in common. At this point in time I'll take that over the (false?) hope that a new QB provides.
We can certainly opine on whether or not it was mistake to pass on QB. Just like you can opine that we should build the trenches. We don't have to wait to know the outcome to assess whether or not we think the plan is right.

Not having a contingency plan at QB going forward sure seems like a mistake with the state of our current QB group. Then when you add the fact that none of our QBs are under contract (2016) it sure seems like putting all our eggs into one basket.

Just as many praise the Matt Jones pick for its foresight at tge RB position why shouldn't lack of foresight at arguably the most important position on team be viewed as a mistake?

Around the league other franchise with better current QB situations drafted QBs to groom for the short/long term future. We stood pat and did not draft one. You hsay you think Halliday was their developmental guy but for me it's even more of mistake to target an UDFA as their developmental QB and therefore chose to pass over all the QBs for a prospect that they do not have. Go by your hypothesis it would mean that yes they saw the need for a developmental QB but failed to acquire one they liked.

Talking about what they should have done after the fact is nothing more then second guessing. And to be clear we had a chance to draft any QB from Grayson to Trevor Siemain.

And criticizing one FO decision does not in anyway mean that I'm anything but pleased with the overall direction of the FO.

Last edited by 30gut; 05-24-2015 at 09:23 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04109 seconds with 10 queries