View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #34
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Dunbar traded to Seahawks

Agreed, but with the cap spend specifically, a couple of points:
1) We are not party to the dialogues with other parties so we don't know the specifics in every instance, if any. All we're doing is reading between the lines. With all these negotiations they have to be balancing all the cap space across multiple strands of dialogue simultaneously. That may mean a wrong decision is made here or there because they misjudged the cap impact of upping our offer in that moment. As such I think they are erring on the side of caution, unlike say the Dolphins who have commited a lot of money to mainly 2nd tier FAs with no proven pedigree.
2) It's not just the year 1 impact to consider. We splash out on an FA we are not 100% sold on, we could be in cap he'll in 2-3 years time, especially when we want to re-sign/extend guys already on the roster, rookie contracts etc. We know largely what we have and who we want to keep, hence the Dunbar trade, releasing Nicholson etc. Says to me Ron wants to keep guys like Allen, Payne, Holcomb, Sims, Harmon etc. and probably the guys we're not 100% on like Sweat. We commit say $20M cap to someone like Cooper, just for example, over the next 2-3 years and that's money we burn or can't spend elsewhere. I'd rather go into September with $20M cap space than waste our opportunities next year and maybe more importantly, the year after. We can't buy a SB team this year so why try?
3) Just my thinking, but I think they are keeping money aside to re-sign TW, assuming his trsde search is fruitless. Yes there'd still be money left after that, but it's a factor.

I think they could have been a little more aggressive in going after the likes of Hooper, Littleton etc. Guys I would say were good prime candidates. But we don't know what happened when they called them. I'm inclined to trust the process for now at least.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.32675 seconds with 10 queries