View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: What Numbers Should Be Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Personally I don't know how you can be on the fence with Riggo, he's an easy lock IMO. Hall of Famer, SB champ, SB MVP, one of the best backs of all time. Just an iconic player on and off the field.
I just looked up Riggo's career and he was a Redskin for a lot longer than I thought. For some reason I had him in my mind as spending just as much time with the Jets as he did with the Skins but that was not true - nine seasons with WAS and five with NYJ. And the 24 TDs in 1983 kind of make the case all by itself.

The ultimate test is: would 44 look OK on another Redskin ever again? I think that's a no, so I'm in on Riggo.

My big concern though is that if we are making the retired jersey number the ultimate honor, more selective than ring of fame, more selective than 70 greatest Redskins, whatever, then a Hog has to make it. That was the identity of our Super Bowl winning teams. We had three different starting running backs, three different starting QBs, but the Hogs were there for all for them. They paved the way for Riggo, so as long as Grimm and possibly Jacoby's numbers are retired then I'm OK.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.03762 seconds with 10 queries