View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 PM   #54
30gut
Playmaker

Re: Not drafting a QB a mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
No. That is not what I think happened. I feel our draft board and ranking of Qb's (in terms of value and where they should be drafted) resulted in us not finding value enough to select one.
So rather than REACHING for a QB, like we reached for OG Josh LeRibeus years ago, what a mistake that was. Our GM decided to stick to his draft board. That is all. No grand mistake or colossal problem as your hoping someone will say. It is not a big deal that we did not spend a draft pick in this draft on a QB.
We can still get one that is cut from another team or get one next draft.
In fairness and with no disrespect intended I don't see how your speculation on what happened with the draft and draft board relates to this discussion. Neither of us know the process. We can only judge the result. The result is they didn't draft a QB.

And c'mon really 'grand mistake or colossal problem' I'm hoping someone will say? That's a false claim, strawman and exxagerration all rolled into one phrase. Impressive use of internet debate tactics but unnecessary. You can't quote anywhere that I've even remotely intimated that sentiment. How you define a mistake is your construct not mine. And the only thing I hope for is good dialogue.

The draft is zero sum. Every draft pick can be judged as a mistake or not. Even the best GMs don't bat anywhere close to 100%. Bill Polian said that the best GMs hit at about a 60% rate give or take. So every draft there are gonna be mistakes either or comission or omission. And no believes in BPA more then me. But most teams choose based on BPA but that doesn't mean their BPA evaluation was correct, only time can tell that answer. So speculating well they chose BPA there, doesn't mean that selection can't be a mistake.

I just happen to think for reasons I've already expressed that not taking a QB somewhere in this draft was a mistake. There is no need to jump to any wild conclusions or conjecture.

And even though my speculation on what may have happened is just as irrelevant as your; since you brought it up here's my speculation:

I think Scott and Jay both thought that they would and should draft a QB somewhere in this draft. This QB could be a potential starter caliber to groom or a developmental prospect to mold in the system. I think that Jay, like his brother Jon, liked Garrett Grayson. And even aside from Grayson may have liked other pro-style/pro-concept familiar QBs available in the draft. At pick 69Grayson was available. BUT they chose to trade down with Seattle which cost them Grayson and Mannion. At the bottom of round 3 they chose Matt Jones at pick 95 by their next selection at 105 it looked like Bryce Petty was gonna fall into their laps but the Jets traded up to get him at pick 103. Round 5 they chose Martel Spaight (who I think is a stud btw, he's one of the guys I wanted in this draft and mentioned in the draft thread) over Brett Hundley.

Jay's specialty is QBs and its his 2nd year and he still hasn't drafted "his" guy. And fact is many teams (especially WCO) draft a QB to develop somewhere in almost every draft. Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren were masters of the QB pump and dump scheme where they would draft a developmental QB and trade them down the line for more value. Jay wasn't happy with the QB position last year it just seems like good planning to have one of 'his guys' waiting/developing in pipeline.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.07346 seconds with 10 queries