View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

It's key to understand the salary cap side of this because it rules out cutting him as a legit option. Alex's salary is guaranteed this year so if we cut him the cap hit would be the same as if we kept him on the roster this year.

So from a cap perspective you are incentivized to keep him. There's no financial benefit to cutting him.

As for what to do with him, I think if setting a culture is what I'm primarily looking to do, I'd let the team see how hard Alex is working to get back, and thus you give him a legit chance to work his way back and prove himself. If he can do it physically, and he can show enough to compete with Haskins and win the job, then you give him the starting job.

Whether or not that's a long shot is irrelevant. The team needs to see that you're keeping an open mind and ready to reward the best player.

And if he works his ass off but still physically unable to perform, then you shelve him again on PUP/IR.

As for whether he'd help mentor or develop Haskins, I think he'd be doing that no matter his physical condition (both Mahomes and Haskins have said he was helpful in this regard). As long as he's on the roster, and like I said he has to be because of $, then he'll be an active mentor.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.95327 seconds with 10 queries