View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #68
Number44
Special Teams

Re: Problem with posts or censorship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Years ago I gave the name some thought and did some research. Some research on the word and some research on George Preston Marshall and the notion that the name was chosen to 'honor' Native Americans seemed incongruent.
I wish you would share what you found in your research, as it might help me with a couple of questions I have in my mind.

I shared a few weeks ago that I had never witnessed anyone in real life use the word "redskin" as a demeaning term or racial slur, and that I had, in fact, witnessed some idiots using the term "chief" in a sarcastic, derogatory, and demeaning way directed at a Native American. Punch then said I was being political (which is ironic, seeing as how he brings politics into the majority of his posts), that I was in love with Trump, and that the word "chief" could not possibly be used in a sarcastic and demeaning manner. I was surprised that he not only had never heard "chief" used in such a way, but that he couldn't even imagine how that could happen. I asked him if he ever witnessed the term "redskin" being used as a racial slur, and he didn't answer.
Punch must think anytime that anyone says anything about any subject that he disagrees with, that person must be in love with Trump. I feel sorry for him. It must be difficult to go through life applying one's political view to everything. I like football, and I don't think about politics when I'm watching or discussing football. The fact that he felt I must be a Trump supporter was humorous to me, and underscores the fact that I don't get into politics on this board, since Punch was so obviously far off on my political leanings. If your research showed that, in fact, the word "redskin" is used as a racial slur, I'd be interested in hearing about it. The only usage for the word "redskin" that I recall witnessing, other than for the football team, is redskin potatoes.

My second question is about the whole underlying issue with the naming of the team. You speak of incongruency, and I have always wondered why the owner of an NFL team would choose to intentionally name his team after a group of people if that owner was a bigot that considered that group of people to be inferior; and if he felt that the word he chose was a demeaning term and a racial slur. It simply doesn't make sense to me that anyone would do that, rather than naming the team after someone or something that he admired, and felt was noble, with a word that engenders pride in the team. Never made sense to me. I mean, if you were a billionaire and purchased a sports franchise, would you name the team "the Slimeballs" or "the Cowards?" That the name of the team was meant to accent the strength and pride of Native American warriors just made more sense to me. Could your research clarify this incongruency for me? Thanks.

The barn door is shut and the name of my favorite team is definitely changing. That is sad to me, but it isn't the end of the world. I just wish I didn't feel like the change is being rammed down my throat by a small minority of folks without any substantive reason. I think I would feel better if it could be shown to me that the name really was demeaning, hurtful, and derogatory, not just claimed to be so.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.72509 seconds with 10 queries