View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: New 4th and 15 rule..................

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Its intriguing, but I don't like it.

The reason this change is being proposed is because other rule changes have made on-side kicks even more unlikely to succeed than they were previously.

But this proposed change takes, what was a special teams play, and gives it to the offense. Fundamentally, i don't like that, and i think teams would do this with success much more frequently. As a result, what has always been historically been a last-ditch, "hail mary" type-play to give the losing team a glimmer of hope now becomes something that is fairly easily attainable. It's giving the losing team a significant advantage compared to what they've had historically.

And why do we want to do that, other than to add "unearned" drama into a game? If a team wants to win a game, they should play better during the first 56 minutes of regulation. The league shouldn't give them a boost to help them win games when their play for 56 minutes shows they don't deserve it.
Agreed, plus trying to help come backs doesn't add drama, it takes some away IMO.
The drama comes from the idea that a team will manage to do something highly unlikely, not that they'll manage something that we're trying to put them in position to be able to do...
Okay, I know, a 4th and 15 is not a gimme, but this sport and its rules are a beauty, they make sense, as a whole. After a score, the ball is put back in play by a kickoff. Like in so many other sports.
Giving the ball back to the offense that just scored makes no sense at all.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04126 seconds with 10 queries