View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #187
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Offseason starts now: A Redskins players thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
I think you're missing my point here...

Trent Murphy was not worth that contract, I agree. But the fact of the matter is HE GOT IT. I don't care for all the numbers and averages you've laid out. The NFL pays for potential. And a players worth is WHATEVER another team decides it is.

Have you ever sold a car? When anybody asks, "How much is it worth?" The answer is, "As much as somebody is willing to pay." That's what it's worth.

Now, I agree that Preston Smith's numbers DO NOT deserve a large contract (although I think i'm a bit higher on him than you are). But do you really think the NFL is going to all of a sudden STOP overpaying for players in free-agency?

Look at Sam Bradford. How much money has he made in the league compared to what his numbers would determine he "deserves?"

I'm not saying P. Smith is going to re-set the market come free-agency with every team bidding for his services. But I DO fully expect him to get multiple offers from other teams who might offer 1-2 Mil./year MORE than we do. In which case he'll probably take it.

Smith is a solid OLB and for a lot of teams they would welcome that as an upgrade. We've gotten used to having stable play there for a long time but it's not just a given somebody will step in and fill that role if he leaves.
So what if the bad teams like the terrible Buffalo Bills overpay under productive players like Trent Murphy or that other misguided teams over pay for an under productive players. That is what bad teams do.
We should not do that.
We overpaid for Paul Richardson, Jordan Reed and Shawn Lauvau. With Jordan Reed it is not so much because of talent, Reed has plenty of receiver skills. It is his lack of production due to consistently being injured. Plus he is a terrible run blocker, enough that it effects our running game. Even when healthy he has holes in his game. So it reaches a point that after years of seeing this that they are not worth multi-millions dollars of salary.

Preston Smith is not a solid OLB. He is a one dimensional pass rush DE being forced to play OLB. He is terrible at setting the edge against the run. He is terrible at reading run and pass plays. LB have to be good at reading plays.
I played OLB and watching Preston Smith play against the run is embarrassing. I am sure he gets his ass chewed out on film day for not protecting his edge. I can not tell you how many times he misread a run play and blew right by the RB going after the QB. That is part of why he is not getting a contract offer. he has holes in his game. Do not give him millions of dollars. We CAN do a lot better.
In a 3-4 defense having two great OLB's makes a good defense great. Both OLB's have to produce sacks in today's pass crazy NFL. If we get another solid OLB to go with Ryan Kerrigan, to go with that great D-Line, to go with Rueben Foster and Zach Brown. we should have a top 5 defense. Plus all of the DB's coming back from injury
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.05799 seconds with 10 queries