View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

As someone who has dealt, from a media perspective, with pretty much all the professional sports teams in the DC area, I always found the Redskins the most difficult to deal with. Personally I love them, professionally they were a constant pain in my ass.

In my opinion, that is a very strong and pointed response from the Redskins, especially the jab about the Post taking seats from the common fan. My quick reaction is shame on the Redskins. The Washington Post is a lapdog for the Redskins 12 months out of the year, to scared to ever say anything that might displease the King of the Hill sports team in this town, not to mention the psyche of Washington sports fans. So they toss out one negative story and the Redskins are so spoiled by the cushy treament they always get, that
they lash back like this? Never knew how lucky they were. Of course, shame on the Post for never having the guts to "dig in." If all you did was read The Washington Post for the past decade to get your Redskins coverage you'd have no idea how truly piss poor they've been.

But the Skins are out of line in this case. Yeah, I know, "but the Post should have done proper reporting," but that sort of thing will always happen, this way, that way. The Skins could/should have posted a much more constructive and less vindictive release, clarifying what really happened, but not taking a shot at the Post. It will be interesting to see how this affects future relations between the two. My guess is it will have little impact in the long run, they need each other.

"What's the difference between a 3-week-old puppy and a sportswriter? In 6 weeks, the puppy will stop whining"-Joe Gibbs

"There aren't any embarrassing questions -- only embarrassing answers."-Joe Gibbs

"Never believe in anything until it has been officially denied."-Joe Gibbs

"Remember, son, many a good story has been ruined by over-verification."-Joe Gibbs

"Harmony seldom makes a headline"-Joe Gibbs

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.06381 seconds with 10 queries