View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #58
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Well that went further than I thought it would. Anyways, I find it a little hilarious this is only such a big issue now simply because Trump kept bringing it back up.

Does anybody remember the end of last season when barely any teams/players were doing it? And Kaep/Reid have been blackballed by the league. If Trump had ignored it, it would've gone away, it was barely even getting media coverage towards the end.

Now it's issue A1 again.

Even though I agree with the players, I believe Daseal makes a legitimate argument as to why this is bad for the NFL, which kinda forced their hand. OTOH, I empathize with the players' cause even if it has been hijacked into "they hate America" in laments terms.

For the time & place argument, I agree in that there are other options (why not lead peaceful marches in your hometown, volunteer work, etc.?) but I see why they chose to use the biggest stage, because that has the chance to make a big impact. I agree in that their plan didn't work as it seems the focus has been shifted from racial inequality to "why does the NFL allow them to disrespect America" by non-minorities who can't or won't empathize with their cause.

Shame it went this way, I still believe the media attention would've faded in this era of 15 minute news cycles, but it is what it is. Some players will still kneel this fall, the NFL will fine them, and those fines will probably go to charity. I'm still gonna be watching though.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.10187 seconds with 10 queries