View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #413
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: Ron Rivera Thread

So ... I am fine with the housecleaning. Remove Allen and Gruden and any vestiges of the prior regime by root and claw. As someone has already pointed out, trading out the Skins staff/FO for Carolina's staff/FO is an upgrade.

Further, both his OC and DC are different from his time there. He may have been familiar with both but they were not in these roles while he coached Carolina. Further, as much as many wanted an untested KOC, RR still went with a shiny young coach in his first stint as OC in Turner. He provided Turner a staff with whom Turner and RR were familiar to help the 1st time OC find his feet.

As to the FO, again, I would rather RR have a FO he is confident in then one that may be on a different page - even if he moves on from people we think are talented.

Preliminarily, I just don't think parting ways with Schaffer is a body blow to the organization. Sure, he is talented, but, truthfully, I don't recall Carolina having "cap hell" problems. Was Schaeffer more than a money guy? I think but did he bring an irreplaceable skill set to an otherwise number crunching position? Not sure. Find it hard to believe though. Moving Doug Williams to a senior mentoring position seems a good fit for him. I had hoped he was an Ozzie Newsome in the making but get the feeling he really did not have the "it" factor that Ozzie and other successful personnel guys have.
I do think Kyle Smith has that though and the fact he is not out of the building yet may mean that he is getting a longer look. I would not be surprised, however, if Santos is gone after the draft.

There are reports that both RR and the Skins draft folks (read: K. Smith) both love Chase Young. This may be a point of commonality for them going forward and something on which to build a working relationship.

Finally, the authority given to RR by DS is pretty evident. The decision to move on from Schaeffer is huge b/c he was also the General Counsel to the Skins meaning he had Snyder's ear and was likely someone on whom DS relied for more than just player personnel and capology advice. The fact that he is now gone should send a clear message to the entire organization that Riverboat Ron is running the show now and that DS is all good with that.

RR is the new authority in town and I am ALL good with that.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04430 seconds with 10 queries