View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #158
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
If your Grandfather is alive thank him for his service. The Germans treated American POW’s decently. The P-47 was an awesome aircraft that was as good fighting against aircraft in the sky as hammering the German ground forces. Most P-47 were shot down either because the pilot was green (less than 10 combat missions) or attacking highly guarded targets (airfields).

WWII was an incredible war that almost defies belief. Your grandfather was part of that incredible generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, he lived a long and happy life but died at age 93 in 2016. You nailed it, he was shot down during Operation Market Garden, he was asked to dive on German anti-aircraft positions to pave the way for heavy bombers. It would often be the American plane diving on the anti-aircraft bunker, using the forward guns when possible to apply pressure, all the while the bunker was trained right back on the diving plane. It was often a matter of who got who first. He was pretty decent at it and won several of such toe-to-toes, but he eventually caught one on the right wing.

Sad thing about many of those pilots in those units, the P47 could take a serious beating, and sometimes would still be able to fly while the cockpit was on fire. So the way guys went out was burning up in the cockpit, and eventually the plane made its way to the ground with nobody at the controls.

When you get hit on the wing like he did, you get the opportunity to eject before something that terrible happens. I'm glad he did, I wouldn't be here today!

You're right, that was a hard war. They don't call 'em the greatest generation for nothing.

Advertisements

Page generated in 0.04845 seconds with 10 queries