Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Santana Moss needs the damn ball

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Santana Moss needs the damn ball

Something that's been bugging me the last 2 weeks is the complete disappearance of Santana Moss. I know that the Rams and Eagles basically sold out to stop him, but Zorn needs to get creative and get the ball in his hands. Screens, put him in motion, reverses, whatever, just get him the damn ball. He's just too talented to have 2 catches in 2 weeks, and he's too valuable to this offense to let defenses take him out of the gameplan.

Advertisements
Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
J. Spanky
Special Teams

Re: Santana Moss needs the damn ball

agreed!

and if defenses are taking him out of the game so successfully, we need to do a much better job of exploiting the coverage holes that are left by doubling him.

the way cooley made the eagles pay for focusing on santana, is what needs to happen EVERY time. we did not do that against the rams.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

While I don't agree with forcing the ball to someone in spite of the defense (a la T.O.) I think Z has to do a better job of making sure Moss touches the ball more. Do the bubble screens, run a reverse or two, run him on a shallow drag pattern, etc. He needs to get the ball if for nothing more than to keep defenses honest.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I agree. They need to start moving him around in motion and even run some reverses with him. Or they could run some screens early in the game when the defense isn't expecting it.

What kills me the most is that he's my starting WR on my fantasy team and he hasn't given me $hit in the last two weeks.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
hesscl34

I couldn't agree more. JC also needs to give him more opportunity and not always go for the check down because he's being covered. Sometimes you gotta take a shot!
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
over the mountain
Playmaker

lots of good thoughts from ya'll. i agree that teams focusing in on moss has helped cooley rack up catches and yards and i think that is something we must continue to be successful at if Ds continue to gameplan around moss.

to add your alls suggestion of bubble screens, etc i would like to see some drag routes out of moss like he did for his first td catch this year and what the boys did with TO in the second half against us when we were doubling TO. drag him across the field so he can use his speed to get separation if its man coverage, it its zone JC hits him as the cb releases moss to an inside zone defender who hasnt picked him up yet.

truth be told, from what weve seen from coach zorn is that he is very studious about identifying problems and implementing adjustments to take care of those problems.

go skins!!
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
GTripp0012
Living Legend

If we protect Jason Campbell better, he'll be able to find Moss downfield. I disagree that we should be running bad plays just so Moss touches the ball. However, if the defense is overpursuing, thats another story.

Here's how to protect the QB better.

Jason Fabini Don't ever see the field.
Casey Rabach You're a 9 year veteran. Learn how to sort out the protections.
Jon Jansen Get him help against top pass rushing LEs. Jansen gives way too much ground with Portis to help. He almost always ends the play in Campbell's hip pocket. If you are beat, Portis will chip your guy back into harms way.
Randy Thomas You need better leverage off the snap. If you win the first step, it's all over.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

how about some motions/screens to give him an edge?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
Skins_4_Lyfe
Special Teams

Jason Campbell has not thrown a TD in 10 quarters...WTF...Zorn has discovered and is falling in love with this thing called a running game. I wouldn't expect to see too much more of Campbell and Moss...niether will make the probowl this year for the simple reason that Gibbs left behind a power running team. He really is putting an emphasis on the running game which is justified by the unnecessary signing of Alexander. But I do miss seeing the Campbell-Moss connection, I thought it would be our backbone for years to come.

Skins_4_Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Southpaw
The Starter

It'd probably also help if Moss could hold on to the balls that are thrown his way.
Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If we protect Jason Campbell better, he'll be able to find Moss downfield. I disagree that we should be running bad plays just so Moss touches the ball. However, if the defense is overpursuing, thats another story.

Here's how to protect the QB better.

Jason Fabini Don't ever see the field.
Casey Rabach You're a 9 year veteran. Learn how to sort out the protections.
Jon Jansen Get him help against top pass rushing LEs. Jansen gives way too much ground with Portis to help. He almost always ends the play in Campbell's hip pocket. If you are beat, Portis will chip your guy back into harms way.
Randy Thomas You need better leverage off the snap. If you win the first step, it's all over.
I thought one of the newer issues with this offense was that JC had to take care of a lot more of the protection calls rather than Rabach?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Maybe our other recievers can step up and make a big play (Kelly and Thomas, Im talking about you), they could defelect attention from moss. ARE and Cooley are doing great but we need another credible threat.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Coff
Impact Rookie

It's great to see that Campbell hasn't thrown an interception this year, but INTs are not always the result of a bad throw or decision but sometimes the result of a well weighed risk. When you see that a team's deep passing game is suffering and that the team hasn't thrown any interceptions, you could make the argument that the team and the QB need to take more risks.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
It'd probably also help if Moss could hold on to the balls that are thrown his way.
1-You have to make those catches. 2-Campbell needs the line to play better. 3-The Philadelphia game was a perfect example of what to do if he is going to be the main focus of the defense.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Takeuon
Impact Rookie

Please, please try to get the ball to him more! He's been hurting my fantasy team! haha Seriously though....I get the whole he's not getting thrown to as much "but he's an on field threat". Therefore he is being double covered. But some properly placed slant passes and I know some one on ones have to be opening up to allow him to break it open!
#21 Will always be missed. Gone but not forgotten
Takeuon is offline   Reply With Quote