Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Todd Marinovich Documentary on ESPN

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Todd Marinovich Documentary on ESPN

I was up late last night, watched this thing in its entity. Todd's story was funny, sad, and inspiring at the same time.

Most emotional part for me was when Todd was telling of when he finally started for the Raiders, they won the game, and Marv (his dad) tells him that he loves him and is so proud of him. Todd says he worked his whole life to get to that moment and he knew right then that it was the beginning of the end, as he now asked himself "what do I do now. what next".

Observations:

Almost everyone Todd played with on that USC team went on to play in the NFL. Literally each person's story that was interjected into the documentary, they made it in the NFL.

Todd was a phenomenal player who was way before his time in terms of football knowledge and natural ability. Surprised that Al Davis cut him for using drugs when it was well known at the time that many other Raiders had substance problems. Typical raider player back then would be drug tested 2 times a year, Davis had Marinovich tested 3 times a week.

Very surprised that no other NFL team gave him a tryout in 1993 when he looked promising, and the games he played in he played well.

Steelers, Seahawks, and Chargers were still interested in him in 1999 after being out of the league for 7 years.

His 10 touchdown passes in a single game with the LA Avengers in 2001 is still the record today. He did this while suffering from severe heroin withdrawal.

In Closing: Surprised that they (his agents, family, etc.) tried so many times to re-start his football career, all with limited success (He played in the CFL, played very well in the AFL), but guys like Jamarcus Russell & Vince Young may never get another chance to show they've matured.

A sad and cautionary tale....

Advertisements
Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Re: Todd Marinovich Documentary on ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I was up late last night, watched this thing in its entity. Todd's story was funny, sad, and inspiring at the same time.

Most emotional part for me was when Todd was telling of when he finally started for the Raiders, they won the game, and Marv (his dad) tells him that he loves him and is so proud of him. Todd says he worked his whole life to get to that moment and he knew right then that it was the beginning of the end, as he now asked himself "what do I do now. what next".

Observations:

Almost everyone Todd played with on that USC team went on to play in the NFL. Literally each person's story that was interjected into the documentary, they made it in the NFL.

Todd was a phenomenal player who was way before his time in terms of football knowledge and natural ability. Surprised that Al Davis cut him for using drugs when it was well known at the time that many other Raiders had substance problems. Typical raider player back then would be drug tested 2 times a year, Davis had Marinovich tested 3 times a week.

Very surprised that no other NFL team gave him a tryout in 1993 when he looked promising, and the games he played in he played well.

Steelers, Seahawks, and Chargers were still interested in him in 1999 after being out of the league for 7 years.

His 10 touchdown passes in a single game with the LA Avengers in 2001 is still the record today. He did this while suffering from severe heroin withdrawal.

In Closing: Surprised that they (his agents, family, etc.) tried so many times to re-start his football career, all with limited success (He played in the CFL, played very well in the AFL), but guys like Jamarcus Russell & Vince Young may never get another chance to show they've matured.

A sad and cautionary tale....
It's amazing that the father would date women and ask them about their family genes so that he could make a super athlete marinovich. Both kids he had end up with major arrests and problems because their father would restrict them from so many things (Not allowing them to go out and party with friends when they were in high school, not allowing them to eat birthday cake when they were at a birthday party making and eat healthy foods instead) when these kids would go out and get scholarships and leave home they would get arrested for drugs or robbery because they had been restricted so much in life. Very interesting doc though.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Agreed on all points. The hardest thing for me was trying to figure out if Marv really did love Todd, and I think that he did. It showed them at the end and now him and his dad do art together and make sculptures. both are incredibly artistic. Todd is now working as a QB coach of sorts helping young athletes, and now works with his Father's company, Elite Athletes, or something like that (a sports training company).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

The Irrelevant Giant.

This was pretty good from ESPN.

30 for 30 Shorts: The Irrelevant Giant - ESPN Video - ESPN
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The Irrelevant Giant.

That was great thanks for sharing!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Jayroc24
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The Irrelevant Giant.

Very sad...... Makes you appreciate life..........
Jayroc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Y'all need to watch Elway to Marino tonight. Very cool stuff
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Y'all need to watch Elway to Marino tonight. Very cool stuff
I never miss 30 for 30 . Best sports series there is. Hands down
Old 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

It was a really good documentary. I'm glad Todd got his life sorted out.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I think for any son that's ever grown up with a Dad that they've tried their whole life to please, we can relate.

I personally didn't enjoy sports for myself until I was in my late teens. My dad was active and always coached our teams, many years I went out for baseball, football, not for myself but because we were made to play sports.

I can relate to Todd just wanting to make his Dad happy, I think most guys can that have lived in their dad's shadow. I loved Todd's quote how he said he would get so irritated when people would tell him things like "oh If I had your talent", etc.. He would answer with "how do you think I got that talent", or "whose talent was it to throw away". He made a great point by saying a lot of talent for athletes are god given, but they have to work for it too.

And I think that point is lost with most armchair athletes. They think because a guy is an NFL bust he sucks or is lazy, but think about all the work they have to do from childhood until college to even get a chance at the NFL.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

That elway Marino one was great.

Makes me wonder, what would have happened if we had chosen Marino over Darrell Green. Or if we had traded theismann for elway.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I didn't get too watch all of 30 for 30 but I'll finish tomorrow.

E60 was Great Tonight Especially The Auburn Story
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
IHG_2012

This was a good documentary but a sad story.. shame he was a true talent
IHG_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote