Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

I kinda wanted us to ball out this draft with the new regime. With the draft strictly in Bruce's hands I'm left with a lot of questions and so is the roster.

Best pick Moses in the third. Worst pick a fifth round guard in the third. Much like the signing of luavao, this made little sense.

It's a meh in my opinion.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Reaction to Draft: exceeds, meets, or meh

Only time will tell

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Fiversons
Special Teams

It was a bad draft all around... Like I said on the other blog, I liked the Moses pick, the CB from Clemson in the 4th and the RB from Baylor in the 6th... Everything else was a reach and a complete head scratcher... Great call on a K in the 7th when Dion Bailey was available and we have Kobra Kai that made 35 of 40 the past 2 years... IMO is was a D grade draft and a real disappointment... And to answer your question I don't have much faith in the Front Office...
Fiversons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiversons View Post
It was a bad draft all around... Like I said on the other blog, I liked the Moses pick, the CB from Clemson in the 4th and the RB from Baylor in the 6th... Everything else was a reach and a complete head scratcher... Great call on a K in the 7th when Dion Bailey was available and we have Kobra Kai that made 35 of 40 the past 2 years... IMO is was a D grade draft and a real disappointment... And to answer your question I don't have much faith in the Front Office...
The reason they are not in love with Kia is he sucks at kickoffs and the result was horrific last year because of it.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
WillH
The Starter

I don't know. I'm not a talent scout, so maybe these guys suck. What I thought sounded promising was that they were looking for character guys that could potentially have an immediate impact on the team. They showed patience and waited for Moses, I would've liked to see a safety, but if none of the Safeties that dropped to them were high on their board then there you have it. This team will take another few years to have quality starters and depth throughout. I don't think we did a bad job the past couple days in getting potential contributors for this team. We shall see, but I think the FO have exhibited patience throughout the offseason, and got some key pieces. I think it will pay off.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Bushead
Impact Rookie

I don't get how people split hairs about 6th and 7th round choices when they almost never make a difference. If you mention Alfred Morris, i'll research every 6th and 7th pick for the skins from the past 10 years.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #7
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Meh.

Half the picks made sense, half were head scratchers. I'm willing to accept that much of this is a crap shoot, but why is it that we always manage to buck the conventional wisdom and pick someone we don't need who no one else wants (at that point in the draft, anyway). Weird. Seemed a bit like two different people were picking this time, and were sort of alternating. I would love to be a fly on the wall in their draft room to see just how the dynamic plays out.

So I'll look on the brightside: we did draft a decent looking tackle (a project, to some extent, but with the right physical tools at least!); a nice looking corner, and a speedy RB (albeit one who hasn't caught a pass in his life or something). And I'll accept the idea that you can't have too many pass rushers.

Time will tell, and it's easy to forget how friggin random so much of this stuff is. Isn't it about time we hit a few long shots? But I do worry that we still have not properly invested in scouting and that we still don't really have real player/personnel folk. It's got to be better than Shanny just picking RBs and TEs and whiffing on the rest, but it aint Ozzie and the raisins yet, either.

(Is it time for camp yet????)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Looking back at the Murphy pick. I love the guy and its much easier to look at since we ended up with Moses but I think I now know how Jag fans felt when they took Tyson Alualu with the 10th overall pick back in 2010. Going in no one doubted that Alualu was a solid player with a great motor but picking a guy graded a mid 2nd round prospect with the 10th overall pick was just nuts at the time. Apparently Alualu has had some injury problems but has been solid while healthy.

However when you look at him as not only as an early first round draft pick but an early first round draft pick in the year that turned out to be the last draft before the slotted contracts he looks to be a bust. I don't think Murphy is destined for the same exact career path just that I know the feeling of getting a solid guy a little to early.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #9
Fiversons
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
The reason they are not in love with Kia is he sucks at kickoffs and the result was horrific last year because of it.
Kobra Kai has a weak leg on kickoffs... But to blame the ST play on him is lunacy, and to draft a K is even worse...
Fiversons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

I'm gonna go right in the middle with Meets.

There weren't a lot of big names taken, but we also went into the draft with a few chambers of the gun empty. I think being able to get an extra pick or two was good management.

I believe Free Agency addressed many of the pressing needs. The coaches saw everyone in mini camp before the draft.

So I feel they went into this draft trying to add better players that can develop over time, not feeling like they needed an immediate starter.

I watched Coach Gruden's recap and he genuinely felt good about the players drafted.

The issue with a lot of the internet & TV draftniks is that they don't necessarily interview players and coaches of the players. They watch tape, analyze measurables, etc.

Not that tape/measurables/injury history isn't important, but I'm gonna give our FO/scouts a little leeway and trust that they followed their board.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
SirLK26
The Starter

My reaction? Somewhere between "meets" and "exceeds." Some of the picks were outstanding, some were meh, and one was a headscratcher.

Trent Murphy - Great pick.

Morgan Moses - Great Pick.

Spencer Long - Meh pick.

Bashaud Breeland - Great pick.

Ryan Grant - Meh pick.

Lache Seastrunk - Great pick.

Ted Bolser - Meh pick.

Zach Hocker - Terrible pick.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Most of the views I saw gave us a solid, but not stellar grades. Personally they hit good areas of need, and I an looking forward to see which players pan out. The only one I think we absolutely need to pan out is Moses, every other one gives us a guarantee of solid competition for roster spots.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiversons View Post
Kobra Kai has a weak leg on kickoffs... But to blame the ST play on him is lunacy, and to draft a K is even worse...
Yeah but to potentially use a 53 man roster spot for a second kicker as well as activating a second kicker for the 46 man game day roster seems futile in an era where they keep starting the kickoff team further and further up the field.

With that said the Kicker was the only SEC player the team drafted so I think its a foregone conclusion that the Skins will go 0-16 next year #SECSpeed #InfinityBajillionBCSChampionships

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

always hard to tell with drafts.. I'd say on paper I'd give us a C-
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

murphy and the OG were taken too early. i like murphy as a player though. moses was good value, and i like the CB/WR/RB picks and where we got them. I don't care about 7th rounders really. if they show up, great. if not, no big loss. the trade down was great though.

overall meh. solid, but not exciting or great. C/C- for reaching.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote