Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #196
AnonEmouse
Impact Rookie
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 872
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Alex just did the unthinkable. He can do whatever the F he wants in my book.
In an ideal world yes, but as far as playing QB in the NFL again, or at least starting, he's got a lot to prove, not just his ability to take hits. It's not up to him IF he can't play better than any of the 32 starting QB's in the league. But truth is, the fact he can play at all has taken that decision out of his own hands. The team could (and arguably should) have released him last year, but they stuck by him, and now it makes sense to at least keep him around until next year, when cutting him would give us a 'smaller' cap hit of, I believe, $10.4M.

But will he play well enough again, indeed especially here, to warrant keeping him on a starters salary? If we draft the new wunderkind, and logically keep Allen as backup, Smith would again be #3, assuming he couldn't become #1 or 2 in camp. We could hardly justify keeping a #3 let alone such an expensive one. But he's still not likely available to other teams until the spring, and he'll be 37 with little playing time in 3 years (assuming Allen doesn't get hurt again or shit the bed). Who's going to give him the chance to win the starters job at that age, with that lack of recent playing time? With the likely 2 or 3 top QB's in next years draft, there's going to be younger QB's available with a better portfolio of recent game film that can probably compete better for the #2 job, let alone starters. I just can't see a market for him unless he comes onto the field again this year and wow's us. And considering he hardly wowed us before the injury...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #197
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,155
Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
In an ideal world yes, but as far as playing QB in the NFL again, or at least starting, he's got a lot to prove, not just his ability to take hits. It's not up to him IF he can't play better than any of the 32 starting QB's in the league. But truth is, the fact he can play at all has taken that decision out of his own hands. The team could (and arguably should) have released him last year, but they stuck by him, and now it makes sense to at least keep him around until next year, when cutting him would give us a 'smaller' cap hit of, I believe, $10.4M.

But will he play well enough again, indeed especially here, to warrant keeping him on a starters salary? If we draft the new wunderkind, and logically keep Allen as backup, Smith would again be #3, assuming he couldn't become #1 or 2 in camp. We could hardly justify keeping a #3 let alone such an expensive one. But he's still not likely available to other teams until the spring, and he'll be 37 with little playing time in 3 years (assuming Allen doesn't get hurt again or shit the bed). Who's going to give him the chance to win the starters job at that age, with that lack of recent playing time? With the likely 2 or 3 top QB's in next years draft, there's going to be younger QB's available with a better portfolio of recent game film that can probably compete better for the #2 job, let alone starters. I just can't see a market for him unless he comes onto the field again this year and wow's us. And considering he hardly wowed us before the injury...

Smith showed that he has little to offer as the backup. Even when he brought the team to 6-2 in 2018, defenses had finally figured how to stop him. Put “8 in the box” and daring Alex to throw long. They were crushing Alex when he got hurt in 2018 and this last game when he took 6 sacks. Of course, part of it is that our OL is full of holes. Glad to see Martin moved out as the LG.

Smith was rusty and may play again if Allen is hurt. It is interesting that Smith is exactly the same type of passer as BRUNNELL, who also was an aged QB who loved the dunk and dunk sort of pass games. Why do we keep bringing in guys like that? Because SNYDER was making the personnel decisions. He’s happy to win 5-6 wins, so he can say, “Winning is just around the corner”. That’s what you get with that sort of passer.

Smith probably will retire and perhaps coach like Zorn did. But he is WAY, WAY too expensive as a backup. On this team, he will be gone. He had a amazing comeback and he was a wonderful tutor to Haskins but the NFL of 2020 has passed him by. You need to be a great passer with excellent mobility for this league. That’s what we’ll draft next year in the draft.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"

Last edited by Warthog; 10-17-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #198
SolidSnake84
Playmaker
 
SolidSnake84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Stephens City, VA
Posts: 2,827
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Smith showed that he has little to offer as the backup. Even when he brought the team to 6-2, defenses figured how to stop him. Put “8 in the box” and daring Alex to throw long. They were crushing Alex when he got hurt in 2018 and this last game when he took 6 sacks. Of course, part of it is that our OL is full of holes. Glad to see Martin moved out as the LG.

Smith was rusty and may play again if Allen is hurt. It is interesting that Smith is exactly the same type of passer as BRUNNELL, who also was an aged QB who loved the dunk and dunk sort of pass games. Why do we keep bringing in guys like that? Because SNYDER was making the personnel decisions. He’s happy to win 5-6 wins, so he can say, “Winning is just around the corner”. That’s what you get with that sort of passer.

Smith probably will retire and perhaps coach like Zorn did. But he is WAY, WAY too expensive as a backup. On this team, he will be gone. He had a amazing comeback and he was a wonderful tutor to Haskins but the NFL of 2020 has passed him by. You need to be a great passer with excellent mobility for this league. That’s what we’ll draft next year in the draft.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about Brunell. He was one of my favorite players here, along with Stephen Davis, and Champ Bailey. Joe Gibbs' first year back in 2004 was obviously not successful, and Mark Brunell IMO bore a lot of the blame when it wasn't 100% his fault. Compare in 2005, what a great year he had. Over 3K yards passing, 23 TD's, and 10 INT's. He was throwing the ball downfield well. Remember those two bombs he throw to Santana Moss to beat the Cowboys? I'll never forget that game.

I'll still never know why they brought in Al Saunders and his 2 thousand page playbook in 2006. Joe Gibbs' offense was pretty good in 05'. But it made us suck, because nobody knew what they hell they were doing. Cooley has said it many times. Brunell had to go with the dink and dunk because it was the safe easy throw when nobody knew what else they were doing out on the field. I will always believe that Brunell was the scapegoat for an entire team that was underperforming.
__________________
Time to nut up or shut up
SolidSnake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #199
Warthog
The Starter
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 1,155
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with you about Brunell. He was one of my favorite players here, along with Stephen Davis, and Champ Bailey. Joe Gibbs' first year back in 2004 was obviously not successful, and Mark Brunell IMO bore a lot of the blame when it wasn't 100% his fault. Compare in 2005, what a great year he had. Over 3K yards passing, 23 TD's, and 10 INT's. He was throwing the ball downfield well. Remember those two bombs he throw to Santana Moss to beat the Cowboys? I'll never forget that game.

I'll still never know why they brought in Al Saunders and his 2 thousand page playbook in 2006. Joe Gibbs' offense was pretty good in 05'. But it made us suck, because nobody knew what they hell they were doing. Cooley has said it many times. Brunell had to go with the dink and dunk because it was the safe easy throw when nobody knew what else they were doing out on the field. I will always believe that Brunell was the scapegoat for an entire team that was underperforming.

You’re right, I forgot about that monster offensive playbook during the latter part of the Gibbs era. Even Tom Brady, the best QB of all-time, and who played 2 decades for the same team only had 800 plays for the Patriots. I think Gibbs felt that he had to bring in the best Offensive Coordinator and that this Uber-complex offensive plan would help Brunnell. It didn’t. I still think Brunnell had a real tendency at this late stage of his career to play it save and keep his passes short - hoping for lots of YAC.

But eventually defenses used the same program to stop Haskins, Smith and yes, even Brunnell (last year as a Redskin). They play “8 in the box” which jams the run and short passing game. The way to beat it if course is the throw it long and successfully a couple times. I’d like to see some long passes from Turner to open up the Giants and to keep them honest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Four Combat Tours in Afghanistan, Iraq and Kuwait.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #200
AnonEmouse
Impact Rookie
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 872
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I’d like to see some long passes from Turner to open up the Giants and to keep them honest.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My memory isn't 💯, but I recall us opening up a game (season opener even?) With a beautiful PA pass for a TD, to I think it was Santana Moss. Something like that would set things up nicely.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #201
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,523
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

2 weeks ago this conversation didn't seem possible, but here we are

Rivera: Alex Smith has proven he is 'back', has chance to be the guy beyond 2020
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #202
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 28,959
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
2 weeks ago this conversation didn't seem possible, but here we are

Rivera: Alex Smith has proven he is 'back', has chance to be the guy beyond 2020
Good lord no
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #203
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,523
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

If he keeps balling like he's been it's a legit discussion to be had. He's certainly proving to be a much better fit in Turner's offense than he ever was in Jay's. At the very least he can be a bridge to a rookie and take the pressure off having to get a QB in the top 5.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #204
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 28,959
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If he keeps balling like he's been it's a legit discussion to be had. He's certainly proving to be a much better fit in Turner's offense than he ever was in Jay's. At the very least he can be a bridge to a rookie and take the pressure off having to get a QB in the top 5.
I just don't see him holding up for a full season.. He has played well
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #205
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,627
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Cant lie ... Id be fine with Alex Smith in 2021, especially if we dont add a blue chip QB in the top end of the draft. Seems like there is Lawrence/Fields then Lance/Wilson.

Alex Smith seems to fit Turner's quick read/throw scheme and perhaps his legs and escapability comeback to him as he plays more.

The idea of keeping Alex Smith then being able to add a stud LT (Sewell/Darrisaw) or LB (Parsons) or CB (Surtain) is not a bad second result if we dont get Lawrence/Fields and are not sold on Lance/Wilson.

The current top 8 players of the draft fits our needs nicely. ^^ These guys mentioned above are the top 8 prospects and fit our need of QB, LT, CB or LB.

We have good options ... as long as we dont drop out of the top 8.
__________________
Experiencing failure is a critical element to development. Ive failed a lot and Im still finding new ways to fail but Im starting to feel good about myself. Really good.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #206
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Posts: 14,796
Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Good lord no


Why? Imagine if he had a couple more weapons, namely a TE and another WR, and a better O line? Add a secondary with some semblance of NFL talent and a MLB. Alex Smith is far from the problem right now.
Allows you to draft a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round to actually groom for a year or two or three.
As far as him holding up for a full season well he has the same chance as any other QB. It isnt like he is injury prone. Id say he is the exact opposite after this amazing comeback. Almost any other human would be retired. He is not only playing but playing damn well. As well as can be expected with what he has around him.

Douche Snyder ruined my Sundays
__________________
Douche Snyder ruined my Sundays.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #207
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,627
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

I know Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder and brady a 6th ... but this organization has not shown the ability to identify certain traits of a player that fit their scheme to allow a 2nd or 3rd rounder to flourish.

if we go QB ... it has to be a top prospect QB imo. Our organization is not good enough to pull a Wilson out of a magical hat.
__________________
Experiencing failure is a critical element to development. Ive failed a lot and Im still finding new ways to fail but Im starting to feel good about myself. Really good.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #208
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 94,523
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I know Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder and brady a 6th ... but this organization has not shown the ability to identify certain traits of a player that fit their scheme to allow a 2nd or 3rd rounder to flourish.

if we go QB ... it has to be a top prospect QB imo. Our organization is not good enough to pull a Wilson out of a magical hat.
Not so sure of that because Snyder has continuously gotten in the way when it comes to making QB decisions. So who really knows who the football guys in the building really wanted when they were instead forced to take Haskins.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #209
Number44
Special Teams
 
Number44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 205
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I know Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder and brady a 6th ... but this organization has not shown the ability to identify certain traits of a player that fit their scheme to allow a 2nd or 3rd rounder to flourish.

if we go QB ... it has to be a top prospect QB imo. Our organization is not good enough to pull a Wilson out of a magical hat.
Out of curiosity, what about the pre-Brady Patriots made you think they were a "good enough" organization to do that? They were a flat out bad team for years, as I recall. Kyle Smith has shown an eye to find talent with the McLaurin and Gibson picks, IMO. Do you think that eye is limited to non-quarterbacks?
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #210
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,627
Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

I hear that and I do like Kyle Smith .. but as a general rule, Id only take a QB, LT or pass rusher with a top 10 pick. Once you get out of that range, I think the prospects of landing a fraqchise QB, LT or pass rusher go down significantly.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid. We are stupid until we show otherwise imo. Lets not get cute, not yet anyways.

------------------

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/t...office-roster/

^^ looking at our organizational chart ... that seems like a lot more college scouts on staff than I remember in years past. If true thats great, because weve always had poorly staffed/funded scouting imo.
__________________
Experiencing failure is a critical element to development. Ive failed a lot and Im still finding new ways to fail but Im starting to feel good about myself. Really good.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.16489 seconds with 11 queries