The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #76
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: The Too Soon 2021 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
We are not the only ones salivating for Wilson.

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article...s-15824665.php

If the Jets get the second pick they should jump all over him. If for some reason he’s available at #3 I would offer our 1st, 3rd and as much as I love Matt I. Or Tim Settle.
I'd rather throw in Landon Collins.

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #77
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I'd rather throw in Landon Collins.
Him too

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #78
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I wish Bill O'Brien was still with the Texans. Maybe we'd be able to trade Haskins and a KFC bucket for Watson and save the gamble of drafting a QB?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #79
hagams
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I wish Bill O'Brien was still with the Texans. Maybe we'd be able to trade Haskins and a KFC bucket for Watson and save the gamble of drafting a QB?
Ha! Obrien might have given us Watson, and their 1st round pick....for nothing. Dude was not making smart moves.

-Mike-
Old 12-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #80
SunnySide
Playmaker

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...eelers-get-rb/

CBS mock draft w current projected draft order
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #81
hagams
Impact Rookie

There's so many scenario's to consider for an actual mock.

Three things that keep running through my head about the upcoming draft is that:

1) We shouldn't waste our 1st pick on a QB. I think about how many successful QB's have come in the 1st round vs. the amount that have came in later rounds. If it is not "our guy", don't select him. With this pick (if we don't trade it) we need to select the best player available.

2) Do we need to draft a QB? Jack Fromm (Georgia) was drafted by the Bills and is currently on their practice squad. Josh Allen's success may have dropped the Bills value on Fromm, and should be available for a low-cost trade.

3) Trade back our 1st and make as many O-line, TE, and WR selections we can. The defense will be lit next year with Landon coming back. Even if we trade him, I'm fine with sticking with Curl. We need to shore-up the O-line, or nobody that we sign or draft will stand a chance.

-Mike-
Old 12-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #82
VTSkins1961
Special Teams

My thoughts are this about drafting QB's. Not one Ohio State QB ever drafted has done well in NFL. Heisman Trophy winners mostly are busts, there are a few exceptions...
Wilson will be gone by the time we pick and most likely Jones as well. If we really want to draft a QB we are going to have to trade up for him
VTSkins1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #83
GridIron26
Playmaker

Despite the fact we need a QB badly, we should not force ourselves to draft a QB with our #1 pick (or trade up unless it's a good deal). We have multiple needs all over the team, so we need to go BPA in the draft. It is better to build a good team and need a QB, than risk our picks (forced draft or trade up) on QBs that might or might not become a franchise QB and be stuck with multiple needs for the next few years.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #84
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagams View Post
There's so many scenario's to consider for an actual mock.

Three things that keep running through my head about the upcoming draft is that:

1) We shouldn't waste our 1st pick on a QB. I think about how many successful QB's have come in the 1st round vs. the amount that have came in later rounds. If it is not "our guy", don't select him. With this pick (if we don't trade it) we need to select the best player available.

2) Do we need to draft a QB? Jack Fromm (Georgia) was drafted by the Bills and is currently on their practice squad. Josh Allen's success may have dropped the Bills value on Fromm, and should be available for a low-cost trade.

3) Trade back our 1st and make as many O-line, TE, and WR selections we can. The defense will be lit next year with Landon coming back. Even if we trade him, I'm fine with sticking with Curl. We need to shore-up the O-line, or nobody that we sign or draft will stand a chance.

-Mike-
If you wanted Fromm, why not just sign him off their practice squad to the 53 man roster for week 17? Isn't that how that works, or am I misunderstanding?
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:44 PM   #85
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfanatic View Post
If you wanted Fromm, why not just sign him off their practice squad to the 53 man roster for week 17? Isn't that how that works, or am I misunderstanding?
teams can now protect 4-5 PS players. not 100% sure as I didnt google it to verify

edit -- you can protect 4 players. Fromm is on the Bills active squad as QB3. I looked this up a few weeks ago .. id say 75% of the teams now go with 3 active QBs vs 10 plus years ago very few did. The clear trend is carrying 3 and it makes sense. Perhaps the new PS protections will allow teams to put the QB3 on the PS vs active roster. Well see.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #86
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Here's a thought. If the 9ers do draft QB in rd1 they will surely be looking to trade or release Garoppolo. If he's let go, would he fit here as QB1 with AS as backup next year, then draft QB in 2022?
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #87
MTK
\m/

Garoppolo isn't very good IMO
Old 12-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #88
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Trade preference = Stafford
FA preference = Fitzmagic
Draft preference = Won't be anyone I'd want at 19. Go BPA. Bring back Alex and Heinicke/Allen. If someone is drafted later in the draft, only keep 1 of Heinicke/Allen

Note - I don't know what to make of Mac Jones and Trask. I wouldn't get upset if we picked either of them at 19, but it will probably be forced, with a lot better players still available.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #89
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Trade preference = Stafford
FA preference = Fitzmagic
Draft preference = Won't be anyone I'd want at 19. Go BPA. Bring back Alex and Heinicke/Allen. If someone is drafted later in the draft, only keep 1 of Heinicke/Allen

Note - I don't know what to make of Mac Jones and Trask. I wouldn't get upset if we picked either of them at 19, but it will probably be forced, with a lot better players still available.
Isnt Stafford a free agent??

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #90
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Of course it all revolves around ALEX. Earlier in the year I was good with him coming back next year as the starter, because the team seemed to turn the corner when he took the reins. However, as the season progressed, even though he gave this team the best chance to win, he regressed. I am now of the opinion that you can't count on him to be the starter next year (although I'm no doctor and maybe he'll be just fine), and for me, if you can't count on him to be the starter because of health, that means I don't want him as the backup either.

Of the available FAs, I'm mostly intrigued by Fitzmagic or Tyrod Taylor. I personally would lean towards Tyrod because of his dual threat capability, he's six years younger, and he has less wear and tear. He's had an interesting career, and his numbers look decent overall. He entered the league as Flacco's backup for four years, then went to be the starter at Buffalo for three. They were 3rd, 3rd, and 2nd in that division owned by the Patriots, and their defense was nothing like what we will likely have here next year. He never had a chance in Cleveland as they drafted Baker. He never had a chance in LA as they had Rivers, then drafted Herbert. He would be an immediate upgrade to the QB room (as would a lot of guys).
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote