other 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #1531
JackLord
Special Teams

Re: Come up with a new name for the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Nah it would associate the new team to this massive failure of a season, and with any name you can find jokes and puns when they get destroyed on the field 3 days after announcing the name.

From a marketing stand point, the smart thing to do is stick to the calendar and announce it before the start of free agency, have people excited about something, give them hope that with the new name everything will change, and you have 6 months to build it up before they get humiliated on the field again.
Agreed.

Any announcement now would be seen like the retirement of Sean Taylor's number: a distraction from the chaos.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #1532
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Nah it would associate the new team to this massive failure of a season, and with any name you can find jokes and puns when they get destroyed on the field 3 days after announcing the name.

From a marketing stand point, the smart thing to do is stick to the calendar and announce it before the start of free agency, have people excited about something, give them hope that with the new name everything will change, and you have 6 months to build it up before they get humiliated on the field again.
THIS

Whatever the new name is it will be 50/50 with folks liking the new name.

I am saying it right now if the new name is shit IMO, I am done. I was born and raised in new England, pretty much now that Tom B is gone it seems like a reasonably time to jump on their ship. Before i thought it be too fair weather like to do.

I feel like the name going away from Redskins is the end of my fanhood. I will always be a REDSKINS fan but not a WFT or Redwolves or Warlocks or Red Hogs or whatever stupid shit they come up with.

Does anyone here really thing they are gone do a good job on the name? I mean seriously, its going to be fucking stupid.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #1533
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
THIS

Whatever the new name is it will be 50/50 with folks liking the new name.

I am saying it right now if the new name is shit IMO, I am done. I was born and raised in new England, pretty much now that Tom B is gone it seems like a reasonably time to jump on their ship. Before i thought it be too fair weather like to do.

I feel like the name going away from Redskins is the end of my fanhood. I will always be a REDSKINS fan but not a WFT or Redwolves or Warlocks or Red Hogs or whatever stupid shit they come up with.

Does anyone here really thing they are gone do a good job on the name? I mean seriously, its going to be fucking stupid.
I can understand that, and that's interlinked to many personal things, but for me, obviously the name was one of the big reasons why I became a fan of this team, so I asked myself "will I still be a fan after they change that ?" (and this is why I got onboard so fast on campaigning for a new name I like. If you take away something I like, I wanna do whatever I can so the replacement is something I like too)... but I just can't see myself rooting for another team... all other 31 teams are rivals to some extent... it just would feel too weird. Having no connection to anywhere in particular in the US (expect DC now that I got to witness a 40 to 16 beat down at FedEx ^^) also makes it feel senseless to just pick a random team now.

I became a fan of this team as I was discovering this sport, just felt like this was my team, colors, name, logo, run oriented team back then with Clinton Portis... Just felt right.

Now after nearly 13 years watching this team, rooting for another one wouldn't feel legit, like trying to fool myself... But if I'm being honest, if they pick something boring AF à la Presidents or Commanders... the logo better be really badass, and the team better start winning soon otherwise it'll be hard to stay as engaged as I am now...
Old 11-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #1534
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
I can understand that, and that's interlinked to many personal things, but for me, obviously the name was one of the big reasons why I became a fan of this team, so I asked myself "will I still be a fan after they change that ?" (and this is why I got onboard so fast on campaigning for a new name I like. If you take away something I like, I wanna do whatever I can so the replacement is something I like too)... but I just can't see myself rooting for another team... all other 31 teams are rivals to some extent... it just would feel too weird. Having no connection to anywhere in particular in the US (expect DC now that I got to witness a 40 to 16 beat down at FedEx ^^) also makes it feel senseless to just pick a random team now.

I became a fan of this team as I was discovering this sport, just felt like this was my team, colors, name, logo, run oriented team back then with Clinton Portis... Just felt right.

Now after nearly 13 years watching this team, rooting for another one wouldn't feel legit, like trying to fool myself... But if I'm being honest, if they pick something boring AF à la Presidents or Commanders... the logo better be really badass, and the team better start winning soon otherwise it'll be hard to stay as engaged as I am now...
For the record i would not leave solely over the name change. ITs more DS and the shit this has become. I just feel like the team i grew up and so many folks associate me with loving is the REDSKINS. In my head its just a good break, its the end of the REDSKINS and the start of XXXXX a team solely run and owned by Mr. Shithead.

I literally cheer for every other pro New England team probably time to just include the NFL in that group.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #1535
MTK
\m/

If you've put up with 22 years of ineptitude and now the current scandal under Snyder, but a name change is the final straw, I don't know, seems kinda strange to me. But whatever it's a personal choice for everyone.

Personally, Snyder and his mountain of BS bothers me a lot more than what the team is called. He's the main reason I don't give a fuck anymore and why my fandom will probably continue to fade.

I love the NFL though, I can honestly be pretty happy watching the other 31 teams.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #1536
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

me too, i don't have to have 1 team... I Can root for players
Old 11-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #1537
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If you've put up with 22 years of ineptitude and now the current scandal under Snyder, but a name change is the final straw, I don't know, seems kinda strange to me. But whatever it's a personal choice for everyone.

Personally, Snyder and his mountain of BS bothers me a lot more than what the team is called. He's the main reason I don't give a fuck anymore and why my fandom will probably continue to fade.

I love the NFL though, I can honestly be pretty happy watching the other 31 teams.
its not the name change that is upsetting me.

I am just saying its like we are snapping the chalk line here and its the start of a new franchise.

How many former Browns fans are Ravens fan or Oilers fans are Titans fans now? I realize we are not physical moving the team but it is a milestone in the history of the franchise.

LOOK! I am just trying to find away to get off this crazy train and in my head close the chapter.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #1538
mredskins
MVP

I will also say this; its a LOT more fun when you are fan of your home town's team.

When the Celtics, sox and Bruins won it all and I lived back in RI it was so much fun going to school and everyone being happy etc...

When the Skins won it in 91 i lived in RI. I was like YES WE WON, then proceeded to air high five thousands of imaginary Skins fans living around me.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #1539
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
For the record i would not leave solely over the name change. ITs more DS and the shit this has become. I just feel like the team i grew up and so many folks associate me with loving is the REDSKINS. In my head its just a good break, its the end of the REDSKINS and the start of XXXXX a team solely run and owned by Mr. Shithead.

I literally cheer for every other pro New England team probably time to just include the NFL in that group.
I completely understand how you feel. And like I said it's mostly feeling, so it's a quite personal thing, not judging in anyway, I was just thinking out loud, stating my own train of thoughts.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #1540
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

I understand your point of view, but disagree a bit. I would put it this way. I grew up in PG County, singing hail to the Redskins, wearing Redskins gear, following players who were a part of the Redskins.

When Dan Snyder bought the team, I was a fan of the Redskins and their tradition in spite of Snyder. I watched years of ineptitude rooting for the Skins to turn it around. Then these past 10 years we have seen the insipid nature of Dan Snyder's ownership, but still they were the Redskins, Gibbs vouched for them, I wanted to believe. Hell I did believe that Skins name meant something to Snyder and his ilk. Then it was changed. It looked like it was external pressures that had been building up, but now we see it was as much to distract from even more detailed and disheartening information. So now you take all of the crap we have put up with as fans for the past 22 years add on top of that the crap they did to the cheerleaders, ST, and who knows many others, and I say that isn't my Redskins. That is NOT the team I rooted my guts out for in HS and college. That's not the team I knew the Redskins to be. Now, they aren't the Redskins, and they are continuing to behave in the spirit of that other team that I don't know. So yes the name is the tipping point, or alot of what my allegiance was built around. It sure wasn't an allegiance to Dan Snyder or even Ron Rivera.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #1541
mredskins
MVP

I agree with CR it’s just not the Redskins I grew up with and cheered for win or lose.there was always some hope, now with all the dirty coming out and just the absolute no light at the end of the tunnel coupled with them literally changing the name and logo; I just feel it’s a good time to break free.
Look at Denver they have not won in awhile but that place was rocking this past Sunday and Von Miller was literally crying that they traded him. If there is any tears here after a trade or release they are fucking tears of joy.

I got believe no player or coach willingly wants to come here unless it’s their only or last chance in the NFL. It has to be the laughing stock of the nfl amongst its members.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #1542
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree with CR it’s just not the Redskins I grew up with and cheered for win or lose.there was always some hope, now with all the dirty coming out and just the absolute no light at the end of the tunnel coupled with them literally changing the name and logo; I just feel it’s a good time to break free.
Look at Denver they have not won in awhile but that place was rocking this past Sunday and Von Miller was literally crying that they traded him. If there is any tears here after a trade or release they are fucking tears of joy.

I got believe no player or coach willingly wants to come here unless it’s their only or last chance in the NFL. It has to be the laughing stock of the nfl amongst its members.
The name will be a big deal for me, more so the Logo. If they keep the W, as the primary I'll be all in. If they change it all up to something dumb , it'll be hard to stay. I love the B&G and it's all I have ever known to love (NFL ) so it would be hard to jump ship but if I did it would be to the bills. Love Allen and their fans are awesome.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:16 AM   #1543
TheGuyFromOverThere
Impact Rookie

I, too, became fan because of the name, at least indirectly. It was at the 90s in school when Football became popular over here and everyone in my school was rooting for the cowboys - I picked the biggest rival, in name and reality.

But honestly, since I grew up with European Soccer at a time where about zero teams hat official names (my team had the nickname the Red Devils, but it was never announced or seen in statistics) I even do not see the big problem with Washington Football Team. If the announcers weren´t so stupid to always announce "the football team" instead of Washington, it would also not sound bad on TV.

I get the want for a cool and new name and I am all for it. But it would not end my fanship if there is none or if it is stupid or boring.
TheGuyFromOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #1544
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

Agree. If this team was a perennial playoff team and SB contender nobody would care what they are called. Now that they are total garbage from top to bottom the magnitude of changing the name and logo are magnified by powers of 10.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #1545
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ron on the DP show

“The name will be announced very soon, I know they are placing an order for all of the stuff soon”