Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Grading the 2006 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1. Sean Taylor, S, Miami - 5th overall
3. Chris Cooley, TE, Utah State - 81st overall
5. Mark Wilson, OT, California - 151st overall
6. Jim Molinaro, OT, Notre Dame - 180th overall

If you give 2006 an A-, what would you give this?
I give zat an "F". 50% to be exact az only 50% of ze players went to ze pro bowl.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What a terrible waste of a draft for the whole division.
Seriously. Especially for the Cowboys. I mean, Fasano turned into a very good player... on another team. Barbie Carpenter and the rest of that draft class were piss poor.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
What a terrible waste of a draft for the whole division.
All in all, it was kind of pathetic.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
GTripp0012
Living Legend

The division was 2/7 in first two round picks, three if you count Fasano, but I can't because the Cowboys never seriously tried to use him. If you add third round picks, that's 3, maybe four out of ten.

Just pick out of a hat next time. You'll hit like 50%.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Even though I wasn't really looking at the FO moves, certainly it fits under the topic. So the FO gets a C- for costing us a 2007 pick, but the I think getting 4 productive players out of what picks we had gives them plus points.
Well I only give them 3. A player like Reed D. can be found via free agency. Plus that pick could've well been a starter on the o or d line and that is why our depth sucks cause we keep doing these 2 for 1 deals over the years.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
How do you factor Jason Campbell into the 2006 draft? He cost us the 1st rounder that year (plus a 4th that the Broncos used to get Brandon Marshall) so do you factor him in to 2006?
We always do these 2 for 1 deals and it doesn't work. Yes we have Cooley, JC, Portis and Rocky but we gave up 4-5 potential starters to get those players. We have an average QB that we gave up and extra number one pick for. Sorry but you don't do that unless it's Peyton Manning. So far we're losing out big time on the JC deal. I like the guy but so far he's not worth the price we paid to get him.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #22
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We always do these 2 for 1 deals and it doesn't work. Yes we have Cooley, JC, Portis and Rocky but we gave up 4-5 potential starters to get those players. We have an average QB that we gave up and extra number one pick for. Sorry but you don't do that unless it's Peyton Manning. So far we're losing out big time on the JC deal. I like the guy but so far he's not worth the price we paid to get him.
I agree about the 2 for 1 deals. Mainly cuz I think the league knows that if the Skins want something they are going to pay the price for it. That's one reason that I am hoping this "restraint" in picking up some of these additional FA's (pick any of the one's that the board has been yelling for). Maybe rationality will take hold.

As for picking up an o-line, or saying Doughty could have been any FA, I go back to the fact that he was supposed to back up ST, and he did that admirably. In fact if ST was still here, I think Doughty would be on the team and Horton probably would not have been taken. Finally Doughty held down a solid special teams position. Thats a good deal for a 6th round selection.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #23
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
We are one of the leagues top defenses. We have a maniac owner that will do anything to win. We went after the best DT in football, he would start on any team in the league. If I am wrong, name the team.
Yeah Haynesworth can start on any team.

I was saying that Montgomery and Golston probably wouldn't be able to crack the roster on some of the NFL's top defenses.

I am aware that we had a top ten defense but that didn't translate to wins like it did for the other nine teams.

Last edited by Skinny Tee; 03-15-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Skinny Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #24
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I give it a c-. Giving up the extra pick for Rocky was just stupid. But Monty and Goldston have been very solid.
Agreed. I wonder whether we were really targeting Maryland's LB D'Qwell Jackson, who was selected one pick before we took McIntosh.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Well, lets see, using the apparent criteria of having all our draft picks (not whether they are playing or not) obviously this was lousy as we only have four picks. Must be an E.
Now if you look at quality of the pick relative to where they were picked, and the growth they have(had) shown, I would say solid A to A+.
Two pro bowlers out of four picks is another a+. I have always said that Vinny does a great job drafting, we just need to keep our picks for him.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

taylor/cooley is an A++++++++++++.

2006 we moved up to take a LB (cause teams had a run on them) with a bad knee that has spent a lot of time not playing. we got a decent teamer and 2 DTs for depth (they're great as a #3 and #4). second day would get an A for getting late picks that actually play on gameday (for cheap), but day one is a D unless rocky really shows up healthy sometime soon.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #27
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Tee View Post
Yeah Haynesworth can start on any team.

I was saying that Montgomery and Golston probably wouldn't be able to crack the roster on some of the NFL's top defenses.

I am aware that we had a top ten defense but that didn't translate to wins like it did for the other nine teams.
I can't think of any other team in the league where neither Monty or Golston could at least win a starting job out of camp. Minnesota, probably, but even they could definately use the youth.

Jacksonville 2003-2007 could have probably done without them, but there's no 4-3 defense in the league today that has two guys who you could say would definately start over Monty and Golston. They might not even make the Giants roster, but realistically, either could win a starting job in camp.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #28
jamf
Pro Bowl

Why should we consider draft position when we rate the players? We have to field the best team possible regardless of draft position. We gave away our draft picks so we have to live with the lack of quality we drafted.

I give the Draft a D+
We did not add what you need to add every year to build/maintain a solid team.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #29
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Why should we consider draft position when we rate the players? We have to field the best team possible regardless of draft position. We gave away our draft picks so we have to live with the lack of quality we drafted.

I give the Draft a D+
We did not add what you need to add every year to build/maintain a solid team.
Ok, but using your logic that draft position doesn't count, only production I don't understand how you arrive at a D+. Out of 6 players, we added 4 who have seen considerable playing time. That is a solid hit to miss ratio. And we added 2 DL players, 1 LB that all contributed in a way that gave us a top 5 D last year. And Doughty would probably have seen significant ST playing time, barring his injury.

So my questions are:

What type of production would it take to get an average grade from you?

Do you say 6 pro-bowlers out of 6 picks is an A+?

Or that an average draft should have 3 pro-bowlers out of 6 picks?

my answers, taking draft position out of the mix, are:

-an average draft class of 6 picks, after 2years in the league, should result in 1 starter, and 2-3 backups, with significant ST play.

- i say that 6 out of 6 probowlers (not fan vote but real ProBowl quality), is unrealistic and would indicate that the GM was using jedi mind control tactics

- i think if after two years you have 1 probowler(real not fan) then your draft could be no less than an A. hence the 2004 class with 2 clear PB players, has to be considered one of our top drafts of the last several years, even considering we only had 4 total picks.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #30
freddyg12
Playmaker

Philly's draft wasn't bad that year, we'll see if W. Justice starts this year & Bunkley has become ok. But the thing that stands out about that draft to me is O.Gaither, they got him in the 5th & he's turned out to be a solid MLB.

I look at the draft like a batting avg. w/runs scored or FG pct. w/scoring in hoops. Your chances of scoring increase the more at bats or shots you take. Obvious I know, yet we've continually given up picks & reduced our chances. Vinny's got a rate of success, just needs more shots.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote