Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?
Yes - fire him now 11 6.51%
Wait til after the season to decide 38 22.49%
No 120 71.01%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #1621
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: Should Mike Shanahan be fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Old rich dudes
Shanny has a vault in his house filled with gold coins and after every win he swims in it like Scrooge McDuck.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #1622
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Here's part of the interview with Michael Lombardi:

Michael Lombardi on Shanahan, the GM
Lombardi is dead on. Hopefully Snyder will read this.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #1623
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Lombardi is dead on. Hopefully Snyder will read this.
I read that article yesterday. Shanahan has drafted great in the first round in 2010, 2011, and 2012, but other picks in the later rounds with the exception of Alfred Morris have been quite poor. Terrance Austin was probably one of his best late round picks but I question the drafting of Aldrick Robinson and the selection of Selvish Capers. Even selected Hankerson in the 3rd round must be questioned. Drafting wide receivers who are fast but can't catch the ball is definitely Shanahan's fault. Or drafting receivers with size and big hands but can't catch is also his fault.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #1624
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I read that article yesterday. Shanahan has drafted great in the first round in 2010, 2011, and 2012, but other picks in the later rounds with the exception of Alfred Morris have been quite poor. Terrance Austin was probably one of his best late round picks but I question the drafting of Aldrick Robinson and the selection of Selvish Capers. Even selected Hankerson in the 3rd round must be questioned. Drafting wide receivers who are fast but can't catch the ball is definitely Shanahan's fault. Or drafting receivers with size and big hands but can't catch is also his fault.
How many team draft difference makers in those rounds? It's a few in a dozen.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #1625
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

HTTR 24-7 - Defensive Dysfunction: How Mike Shanahan Can Fix His Achillies Heel

Makes you feel bad for Haslett in a way.

Quote:
Jim Haslett was hired as defensive coordinator on January 13, 2010. In the preceding three years, Haslett not hired one of his own coaches. Bob Slowik is a long time defensive assistant of Mike Shanahan’s. Jacob Burney is the same. Lou Spanos was actually hired as linebackers coach the same day as Haslett was, which shows how much input Haslett had on that call. Raheem Morris wasn’t hired by Jim Haslett, nor was Bobby Slowik (Bob Slowik’s son).

Haslett has not had a hand in hiring a single defensive coach. And that fact has started to show itself on game day, when the three levels of the defense often seem completely separate from one another, as if there’s not one, singular voice guiding the course of the defense. Sometimes it seems like the coaches don’t even talk to one another.

We already know that last year, Haslett went off the record and openly campaigned to fire Bob Slowik. To show how much Shanahan respects Jim Haslett, after Bob Slowik had effectively coached himself out of a job and was basically on his way out , after hiring Raheem Morris to basically replace him, instead of firing him, Shanahan moved Slowik to linebacker’s coach. Bob Slowik has never coached linebackers in his career, but Shanny still moved him to linebackers coach.

Bob Slowik was notorious for being political in the Denver Broncos organization. And now, he may be actively campaigning to be the defensive coordinator next year. Meanwhile, Raheem Morris is thought to be the guy who may the defensive coordinator next year. The problem with that? The defensive coaches don’t want him to be the d-coordinator and want to go outside the organization. Jim Haslett is a lame duck and the defense is a mess.

How in the **** does Slowik still have a job? Why is that dipshit on this team? He failed with that guy in Denver, did he think anything was going to change? Why is he coaching a position he's never coached before? This is the kind if shit I put on Shanahan. C'mon man!!
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1626
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

When's your boy HTTR247 coming back to visit us?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #1627
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
When's your boy HTTR247 coming back to visit us?
Good question. I put up the bat signal.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 11-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #1628
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Shanny has a vault in his house filled with gold coins and after every win he swims in it like Scrooge McDuck.
He hasn't been swimming much the past 3 years, that much is sure.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1629
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
How in the **** does Slowik still have a job? Why is that dipshit on this team? He failed with that guy in Denver, did he think anything was going to change? Why is he coaching a position he's never coached before? This is the kind if shit I put on Shanahan. C'mon man!!
Either Slowik has pictures of Shanahan with another woman or is his gay lover.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1630
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
HTTR 24-7 - Defensive Dysfunction: How Mike Shanahan Can Fix His Achillies Heel

Makes you feel bad for Haslett in a way.

It's pathetic but what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Mike needs to pick a DC and then basically get out of the way.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #1631
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
It's pathetic but what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. Mike needs to pick a DC and then basically get out of the way.
Yeah, ShanahaN shows up 2 years ago.. Gives the DC his way and doesn't have a say.Defense still fails badly, and everyone is saying..

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SHANAHAN? WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE SAY ON WHO IS ON HIS DEFENSE? WAH BLAH BLAH WAH WAH.

I'm going to be on fire today guys.. Getting pumped for the game, so ill take it out on the special ones here.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #1632
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
Yeah, ShanahaN shows up 2 years ago.. Gives the DC his way and doesn't have a say.Defense still fails badly, and everyone is saying..

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SHANAHAN? WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE SAY ON WHO IS ON HIS DEFENSE? WAH BLAH BLAH WAH WAH.

I'm going to be on fire today guys.. Getting pumped for the game, so ill take it out on the special ones here.
Gotta disagree on this, HC might have final say, but in functional units the DC's opinions and desire probably get a whole lot of pull. Doesn't sound like this is the case, and you can see on the field that the team isn't functioning so since Shanahan put his people in, it's on him.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #1633
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Gotta disagree on this, HC might have final say, but in functional units the DC's opinions and desire probably get a whole lot of pull. Doesn't sound like this is the case, and you can see on the field that the team isn't functioning so since Shanahan put his people in, it's on him.
Oh I agree actually.. I was just commenting on what half the community would be saying if the roles were reversed.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #1634
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket View Post

Yeah he's done a wonderful
Job so far. Putting position coaches coaching positions they've never coached before..not allowing the DC to have any imput on who his assistants are
Bring it on man. You're assuming if he got out of the way the defense would fail. Guess what genius? The defense IS failing and couldn't be a whole hell of a lot worse.
If you can't see a problem with anything Shanahan does maybe you'd be better off just sitting back and reading instead of posting a bunch of blind BS. On fire? If ignorance is fire you're blazing right now.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #1635
Skinzerdie
Camp Scrub

Shanny won't be fired this season as the acquisition of RGIII has pretty much guaranteed him another year, however, how he finishes this season, I feel, will definitely have an effect on the earnestness to produce emphatic results in ’13.

If we’re 3-6 by this time next season, Shanny won’t be lent nearly the same latitude he’s receiving this year. He’s getting a lot of leeway this season because he’s grooming a rookie QB and certain “growing pains” were to be expected.

But in year two for RGIII/year four for Shanny, it’ll certainly be a different story, especially considering how evident its becoming that it’s not RGIII’s maturity as a passer that’s costing the team so much as it is the talent around him. According to Michael Lombardi, absolutely all football matters – including all talent decisions – are incumbent upon Mike Shanahan, so any and all liability will rest squarely on the coach’s shoulders.

I’ve been an outspoken advocate of the Shana-plan since the start; though, if I’m being honest, the loss to Carolina definitely had me second guessing ever hitching a ride on Shanny’s bandwagon as I questioned in moments during and after the game whether his decision making was really making a difference.

Like Lombardi, I don’t have any reservations about Shanny’s tactical brilliance. When players stay focused and execute, we’ve seen the results his teams can produce, but his coaching isn’t so much what’s in question as it is his ability to assess talent.

According to Lombardi, the scouting department never changed over. Apparently, we’ve got the same scouts here from the Cerrato administration.

Considering that Shanny has spent the last three seasons cleaning house and doing away with nearly every piece of talent this crack team of scouts had brought here for nearly a decade prior, it’s almost inconceivable that he hasn’t brought in his own team of evaluators.

But nevertheless, I like a lot of what Shanahan has done to help this team in the talent department since he's been here.

Am I ecstatic about RGIII? Of course I am.

Am I thrilled with our 6th round pick out of Florida Atlantic, Alfred Morris? Without question.

Cofield? Love him.

Bowen? Same.

But it seems for every reliable Trent Williams and Ryan Kerrigan, there is an unaccountable Tim Hightower or Jamal Brown – promising players at skill positions that we’ve banked our seasons on who can’t stay on the field.

Now, I don’t fault Shanahan for having to bargain hunt, as I believe many grossly underestimate just how badly Vinny & Danny had/have screwed this franchise in terms of picks and cap, but for all of his shopping, at some point he’s got to start finding some healthy product, because it would seem other teams are doing more with perceivably less – namely the Colts, who presently sit 5-3 with an interim head coach, a rookie QB and a roster full of nobodies.

If he is, in fact, the true GM, Shanny has to start finding guys who are not only capable of playing at a high level, but able to survive week-in and week-out in this league, because just as much as depth, durability has become a clear area for concern for this football team.

In my opinion, it’s less about the talent and more about the durability of this squad. If this team under Shanahan is ever going to win, his players have to stay healthy and on the field one way or another.

Because whether it's bad scouting or bad luck, it isn't going to save his job come this time next year.

I'm editing to state that personally I'm willing to stay the course until said time comes to "evaluate talent" again.

Last edited by Skinzerdie; 11-16-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread