Joe2 Legacy2 will be?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Re: Joe2 Legacy2 will be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
JLC pretty much sums up my feelings. Am I really that bitter?
Framing the Past to Evaluate the Future - Redskins Insider
I think J-La had some good points, but he also needlessly was beating a dead horse with some others. I was as big a critic of 2.0 as I was a fan of Gibbs first run as HC. He left the franchise better than it was when he got here, but on the field his teams were a disappointment and he made some HUGE mistakes that I think a more contemporary coach wouldn't have made.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
MTK
\m/

It's a new era, time to move forward. JLC must be bored.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #18
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Moderately Successful. I can see how some might consider the lack of a SB title to mean a failure. I wouldn't go that far. Gibbs has to be commended for:
1. Assembling a talented team around a nucleus of character guys
2. Going after some great draft choices (Vinny also deserving of credit here)
3. Keeping the team together after ST's death
4. Two playoff appearances

On the other hand, he has to be criticized for:
1. Sub-par offensive performance by the team over last 4 seasons - Gibbs was in charge of the offense.
2. Conservative playcalling during games and restraining Al Saunders' play calling freedom
3. Inconsistent team showings (we would lose regularly to bad teams, e.g. Baltimore in 04, Cleveland in 04, Oakland in 05, Tennessee in 06, etc) - players deserve blame for this too, but Gibbs should've had them ready to beat up on these types of teams.
4. Stubborn reliance on Brunell even when he was injured and/or ineffective
5. Not being a threat in the playoffs even when we made it

The sad part about that last point is few people other than skins fans will remember the 04-07 skins as a playoff team even though we made it to the post season twice - we just weren't threatening enough in the playoffs (despite beating Tampa).

I'm glad Joe stepped down because we never had a chance of being a championship team under him during his second stint. He knew it too. Zorn might not get us there either, but at least its looking good so far and the players seem to have a degree of enthusiasm markedly higher than in previous years and are looking like they've bought into his scheme and coaching style.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #19
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

If you measure "Gibbs 2.0" by the standards of "Gibbs 1.0", then the second coming was pretty much a failure. If "Gibbs 1.0" had not gotten him voted into the HoF, then "Gibbs 2.0" would not have polished his resume in any way; he'd be on the outside looking in for the rest of eternity.

If you measure Gibbs 2.0 by the standard of Steve Spurrier/Norv Turner performances, then "Gibbs 2.0" is a roaring success.

Is the glass half-full? Is the glass half-empty?

Or is the glass twice as big as it needs to be???
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #20
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrykaine View Post
Moderately Successful. I can see how some might consider the lack of a SB title to mean a failure. I wouldn't go that far. Gibbs has to be commended for:
1. Assembling a talented team around a nucleus of character guys
2. Going after some great draft choices (Vinny also deserving of credit here)
3. Keeping the team together after ST's death
4. Two playoff appearances

On the other hand, he has to be criticized for:
1. Sub-par offensive performance by the team over last 4 seasons - Gibbs was in charge of the offense.
2. Conservative playcalling during games and restraining Al Saunders' play calling freedom
3. Inconsistent team showings (we would lose regularly to bad teams, e.g. Baltimore in 04, Cleveland in 04, Oakland in 05, Tennessee in 06, etc) - players deserve blame for this too, but Gibbs should've had them ready to beat up on these types of teams.
4. Stubborn reliance on Brunell even when he was injured and/or ineffective
5. Not being a threat in the playoffs even when we made it

The sad part about that last point is few people other than skins fans will remember the 04-07 skins as a playoff team even though we made it to the post season twice - we just weren't threatening enough in the playoffs (despite beating Tampa).

I'm glad Joe stepped down because we never had a chance of being a championship team under him during his second stint. He knew it too. Zorn might not get us there either, but at least its looking good so far and the players seem to have a degree of enthusiasm markedly higher than in previous years and are looking like they've bought into his scheme and coaching style.
I would also criticize JG bringing in Saunders and installing a brand new complex offense the year after we made our first run to the playoffs. I believe that was the year that we were hyped up by the media and ended up 5-11.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Im a Gibbs fan, but his record speaks for itself.
1. He won less than 50% of his games in 4 years.
2. Won 1 of 3 playoff games, and you can chalk most of that up to the D.
3. He (the skins) spent a ton of money on players and coaches.
4. He couldnt drop Brunell, when he was hurting the team.
5. Couldnt put together a team that didnt have a bunch of motion penalties, false starts, and delay of games.

If this were any other coach, everyone would say that he was garbage. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and he didnt do much the second time around. But heck, he had a team that fought thier guts out.
This is an honest and accurate assessment of Gibbs 2.0. Like someone in another post said, in comparison to Norv and OBC Gibbs 2 looked pretty good but in comparison to Gibbs 1 it didnt look so hot. Gibbs was not brought back to out do Norv & OBC, he was brought back to repeat Gibbs 1 and he didnt come close.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
It's a new era, time to move forward. JLC must be bored.
Thank you! I sure didn't agree with a lot of what Gibbs 2 did. But he sure did bring us back to respectability. Anyone remember games in 03 when Dallas shut us out at home? We were a 2nd rate team back then. But it's time to move on now. Joe is gone now and I really like what Zorn is doing now. Time to turn the page!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
If you measure "Gibbs 2.0" by the standards of "Gibbs 1.0", then the second coming was pretty much a failure. If "Gibbs 1.0" had not gotten him voted into the HoF, then "Gibbs 2.0" would not have polished his resume in any way; he'd be on the outside looking in for the rest of eternity.

If you measure Gibbs 2.0 by the standard of Steve Spurrier/Norv Turner performances, then "Gibbs 2.0" is a roaring success.

Is the glass half-full? Is the glass half-empty?

Or is the glass twice as big as it needs to be???
I agree with the notion of just moving on. But one final question. At the end of the day should Gibbs be measured as Joe Gibbs, or Gibbs 1.0 and Gibbs 2.0?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #24
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Its kinda like when michael jordan came back from retirement to bring the wizards to glory. The game passed him by, all the innovations that he brought to the game had been further innovated, the game had passed him by. It was time for him to step away.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #25
freddyg12
Playmaker

This is a disturbing, scary thought, but the washpost guys brought it up on comcast a couple weeks back; what is the team gonna be like if Zorn is 1-4 after 5 games? Will they rally behind him or will it be like pettibon's lone season?

The reason I pose the question is that Gibbs may be viewed as a success based on how Zorn does. If Zorn loses badly, it will make Gibbs look good. If Zorn wins a lot, you can point to Gibbs' roster moves, e.g. Campbell. If we don't make the playoffs for a few years, people will look back at Gibbs' years as the last time we made it.

Bottom line, Zorn will have to stay here & win a while to diminish what Gibbs did and make people forget those years.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #26
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I personally believe he left us the legacy JZ, and the fan base is currently enjoying, and is reponsible for the about face, and maturation of Danny, and the VIN
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #27
hurrykaine
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I agree with the notion of just moving on. But one final question. At the end of the day should Gibbs be measured as Joe Gibbs, or Gibbs 1.0 and Gibbs 2.0?

Good question. He should be measured only as Gibbs 1.0 for the football history books. That his bust sits in Canton is testament enough. However, he should only be measured as Gibbs 2.0 if you're considering how to make this current team a championship caliber team.
hurrykaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Trading up for Jason Campbell will be the centerpiece of the Gibbs 2.0 legacy, and I'm convinced that Campbell will develop into the franchise QB that Gibbs envisioned. While I was critical of Gibbs and conservative playcalling during the 2nd run, he brought stability and maturity to the organization, as reflected by Snyder's more prudent approach during the past two offseasons.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

The fact that JLC saw fit to write what is basically an article on what the old coach did before the new coach has done anything shows to me how much of a hardon he has for poopooing Gibbs. I don't think he is totally wrong is some respects but I think his general attitude towards Gibbs 2.0 is simply skewed far to negatively. He says the team was in the dumps last year and then when Collins comes in and get the offense going and we win 4 straight it is only because of the Defense.

I do wonder where this blog posting came from. It seems to have come out of nowhere for no reason.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #30
charliebrown88
Camp Scrub

I agree that Gibbs 2.0 was moderate in success. I think people underestimated how far the franchise and roster had fallen before he returned. Expecting Gibbs as great as he was in 1.0 to immediately produce a Super Bowl champion in three years with what he inherited would be like turning Fat Albert into Carl Lewis in three years, a bit too much to expect. I think in trying too hard to do this, Gibbs may have made some big mistakes, Sticking with Brunnell too long, Arch, LLoyd, Ultra-Conservative Offense that neutralized good moves, Campbell, Cooley, the 04 FA class, Taylor and Landry.

The one positive that I think people overlook in Gibbs 2.0 was that he also got us back to playing tough within the division. During Norv, Shotty and Spurrier we let division opponents smack us silly on the road and at home. Gibbs got us playing better within the division both on the road and at home. This is the first key in becoming an elite team.

I think Gibbs 2.0 may parallel what happened with Parcells at Dallas, he may indeed enable the next coach to excel and succeed in what he created as a foundation and left behind.
charliebrown88 is offline   Reply With Quote