Old 05-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #16
jrocx69
Special Teams

jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 AM   #17
jrocx69
Special Teams

gregg williams will be next in line if he has the d he always brings for every club he's worked for. and i would love to have a defensive minded coach that learns from gibbs in all aspects of the game. he failed in buffalo cuz he doesnt have such a offensive mind but he will learn alot from gibbs and give the team what they need.... PREASURE ON THE DARN QB!!!!!!!!
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 01:18 AM   #18
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon
3. If the Redskins improve next year to 9-7 (just to pick a figure here for argument's sake) and EVERYONE here in THE WARPATH and in the press says that this is 100% Joe Gibbs' doing, will Danny Boy stand aside and allow all the accolades to go somewhere other than to Danny Boy? Or will he "exert his own will" next off season and maybe sign someone Gibbs does not want? If that happens, then all bets are off. My guess is Gibbs takes a hike and half the staff walks with him. Don't tell me it can't happen. You can wish that it won't happen, but it can...
Gibbs is in charge now, and is team president, he gets the final say. I hope when Gibbs leaves that Snyder does not take over as president and that we hire someone to do it.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:04 AM   #19
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Skins - Snyders writes the checks, so it's his club. He get's the final say, because if Snyder wanted he could fire Gibbs in a second. That would be stupid, bu possible. You act as if Gibbs is now the owner of the Redskins.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:05 AM   #20
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Unless Gibbs has Alzheimer's Disease or suffers from some unreported Senility than I don't really think that his mental processes should be slowed by his age. I'll take his decades of experience and be pretty happy with that, thanks. Paterno's decline is more to do with stubborness (sp?) than any health concern. He sticks to a system that just isn't having the same effect it used to. On the contrary, Gibbs has always been an innovator dating at least back to his days with San Diego and I'd wager before that. Now the Diabetes could be a genuine concern, but with the top level medical care that I am sure he is getting, I would be surprised to see it affect his performance.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:20 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

I'm not concerned about 3 or even 5 years down the road. The time is now for Gibbs.

He appears to be in great shape and in great spirits for a guy his age. Actually, 63 isn't even that old anymore. So my answer would be no, age is not a concern. Guys like Parcells and Vermeil have proven that "older" coaches can be very successful and can relate to today's players. If you are a leader and you have a proven system, it doesn't matter how old you are.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Snyder isn't dumb, firing a legend like Gibbs would be the worst possible thing he could do, unless Gibbs takes the team into the tank for multiple seasons there's just no way he could justify firing Gibbs. It won't happen, Snyder has made some stupid decisions, but firing Gibbs won't happen, mark my words. I really don't think Snyder wants to be that guy who canned Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs. If he thinks people hate him now...
Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 AM   #23
Shane
Special Teams

I believe Joe will be here for at least 5 years, and hopefully will sign another contract beyond that.

The key is that he is completely changing the direction of an organization that has been floundering for a decade. He is providing the leadership that is changing the dynamics here so that when he retires, whoever takes over will be taking over a transformed organization.

Some organizations are static and inert, some are chaotic, some vascillate between those extremes more or less, but with Joe Gibbs we are going to be balanced, focused, committed to the highest standards in all ways, and we will be winners regardless of our won and loss record.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #24
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

I think he will at least stay the full five years.
Another thought: When he is done, or if coaching becomes too much for him, health-wise, he could stay as team president...
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #25
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

SkinsRock - I think that is probably the plan. Barring the unlikely event of a complete team collapse/player revolt, I think Gibbs is here and coaching until he wants to stop. Depending on the diabetes factor, Gibbs could have another 10 years in him (Marv Levy coached and was successful into his early 70's). After that, Danny will keep him as team president or some other front office arrangement for as long as Gibbs wants to work.

IMO - The bottomline is that this is Gibbs final job and he is here for as long as he wants to be - whether it be on the sideline or in the front office.

If he stops coaching sooner rather than later, I believe Williams is the heir apparent. However, I don't think Williams is going to stick around for 5-10 years waiting for his next head coaching job.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

I'd imagine Gibbs will probably get a cut of the team ownership at some point. Not sure if he could have that now as coach, anyone else know?

Gibbs is a Redskin for life, just the way it should be.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #27
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I "think" I heard that in fact after Coaching Gibbs is guaranteed 10% ownership of the Redskins. No, I don't believe he can Own and Coach at the same time. They didn't let Michael Jordan do it and I "think" the NFL is the same way.

My buddy STU swears up and down that Gibbs has enough money and will get enough money to one day buy the Team. That is just a guess at best but that would be a great dream.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #28
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I don't think there is any bar to ownership if you are coaching the team in which you have an ownership interest. Because of the conflict of interest, Gibbs had to sell his interest in the Falcons b4 he could coach for us.

There is a long history of owners coaching NFL teams and, as late as the early 70's, owners coached teams (Paul Brown and the Bengals). I am, however, unaware of anyone more recent than Brown and don't know if the rules have changed.

Here is a nightmare scenario for you:
After the season, Gibbs and Snyder fight about how much control Gibbs has over personnel moves. Saying he watched and learned from Gibbs, Snyder steps in and attempts to coach the team in 2005.:vomit-smi

JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #29
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
My buddy STU swears up and down that Gibbs has enough money and will get enough money to one day buy the Team. That is just a guess at best but that would be a great dream.
Ask your buddy Stu how he plans on buying it from Snyder who is either the youngest or one of the youngest owners around and has a good 20 years on Gibbs, probably more. I don't think you'll ever see Gibbs with more than 15-20 percent ownership. But any little bit is nice.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:01 AM   #30
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I cant see Gibbs scraping together a billion dollars to buy the Skins. Ill throw in 20 bucks for part ownership though. I just want to sit in the owners suite everyweek.