Income falls 3.2% during Obama's term thus far

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #31
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Income falls 3.2% during Obama's term thus far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Government jobs still stimulate economic growth, just not in a sustainable way.

The theory is that while people are unemployed, you might as well put them to work doing something productive. It doesn't do the nation any good to have people sitting on their duff when they could be building better roads or fixing things.

So the government pays them, they take that money and spend it, which helps businesses. Businesses then have more money to invest, they begin to grow, and they start adding jobs.

The key is to make sure the government jobs, which act as the catalyst for growth, are cut back once the economy starts adding jobs. If this isn't managed well (which often it is not), then you get overspending and severe deficit problems.

If Obama can successfully cut spending once the economy is running well, then he will have succeeded. Problem for him is that a second wave of economic recession is coming, due to no fault of his own, which will derail his ability to cut the deficit. He'll get voted out in 2012 if the GOP plays its cards right.
Thats one of the things Obama said his spending would creat jobs but I don't see that happening. The ones they posted on their site we find out that most of them are false. I actually don't think they are trying to creat goverment jobs to help build roads its the contractors that will get the contracts and hire.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #32
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Sometimes I think you should be banned for the sole reason that you add nothing productive to the discussion.
That's a little strong , no ? Acounting fraud , cooking the books did happen at Fannie Mae , The Fannie Mae debacle was brought to you by the vast bipartisan conspiracy. - By Jack Shafer - Slate Magazine .New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - NYTimes.com . We need football soon , the sooner we spank Philly/cowturds and the g-strings ... the better !
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
dmek25
MVP

i cant speak for everyone, but we just hired 55 people. the jump in production is back to " normal" levels for us. it seems like its starting to turn( for the better) how long it lasts is yet to be seen
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
i cant speak for everyone, but we just hired 55 people. the jump in production is back to " normal" levels for us. it seems like its starting to turn( for the better) how long it lasts is yet to be seen
Congrads , that is great news ! Now if Allen/Shanny can hire a few O-Linemen .... we really are moving it the right direction .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Thats one of the things Obama said his spending would creat jobs but I don't see that happening. The ones they posted on their site we find out that most of them are false. I actually don't think they are trying to creat goverment jobs to help build roads its the contractors that will get the contracts and hire.
Well, whether it's an actual government job, or a government-funded job that contractors actually hire, it's six to one half dozen or the other. Either way, the point is that the government is supporting those employees, and it can't afford to do it forever. It must cut the government funding for the job once the economy is rolling along at a level that can sustain the job on its own.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Back to normal...saying the 55 hires are previously-eliminated jobs? That's 0 net jobs.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH for the company, workers and families.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Plus, temporary Census positions are usually being counted and applauded as new jobs.

The ACTUAL unemployment # is being estimated just under 20%.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #38
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Sometimes I think you should be banned for the sole reason that you add nothing productive to the discussion.
What's productive about discussing an unemployment rate? Posting opinions about who's at fault doesn't change the fact that they're still unemployed.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #39
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Back to normal...saying the 55 hires are previously-eliminated jobs? That's 0 net jobs.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH for the company, workers and families.
around January of last year around 75 people were laid off. another 35 or so retired. since then, all 75 have been called back. plus the 55 new hires. that equals 55 net jobs. or 130 if you count the call backs. my point was i usually see the mood of the economy in my job. right now things are moving upward. my statement really wasn't meant to be political. just trying to relay a trend
Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #40
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
What's productive about discussing an unemployment rate? Posting opinions about who's at fault doesn't change the fact that they're still unemployed.
I think what he's trying to say is that you're not a product of intelligent design.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote