Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #46
dmek25
MVP

Re: Chris Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd -- would you do it?

our most consistent receiver helped us lose to the lions, and was held without a catch last week

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #47
insideman
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
It is. We've seen some of the elite teams trade away or let go some of their more popular players when it's in the best interest of their long term success. Moves that come to mind are Joey Porter in Pittsburgh and a bunch of guys for the Pats (Seymour this year). Can't let personal feelings get in the way of sound business moves. The team comes first. If we could get a 1 and 3 for Cooley, I'd say do it. Not sure we could though, and not all that confident the FO would make good with the picks. Tough call.
There is no confidence in the front office period to trust them to make good sound draft picks. They haven't done anything yet to assure us as skins fans that they the brains for such a deal.
insideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #48
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

no ones giving up a 1st and 3rd for a tight end....More like Santana Moss for a 2nd and a 3rd....Id take that right off the bat.....
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #49
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
If we accept that the only player on our roster that's attractive enough for another team to give up a first and third round draft pick is Chris Cooley, would you trade him?

Assuming that we could use both first round picks for offensive linemen, along with regaining the third round pick we lost for Jarmon, I would probably be in favor of it. Doesn't mean I don't like Chris Cooley -- he is a world class tight end, no doubt. But if there isn't a quarterback who could be kept upright long enough to find him, what good is he?

I think we could all agree that O-line should be the priority. If this was the only way we could stockpile extra draft picks to rebuild the line, would you jump? What if this could be our 'Hershel Walker' trade?
I would drive him to the airport! I don't think the skins would get more then a #2 pick for Cooley.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #50
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMonkey View Post
....More like Santana Moss for a 2nd and a 3rd....Id take that right off the bat.....
Throw in Betts in the package (a token of appreciation) just for the Heck of it.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #51
twinskinsfan
Special Teams

Smart one, maybe you should be our GM, you have some real bright ideas.......get rid of our best player. This season is having some real down effects on you.
twinskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #52
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Throw in Betts in the package (a token of appreciation) just for the Heck of it.
I like the sound of that
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #53
Counter-Tre
Special Teams

I'll give you my Cooley when you take him from my cold, dead hands!!!!!
Counter-Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #54
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47FAN View Post
now doughty and horton?
I didn't mean to trade them both.. I'm just saying that we should try and see what their value is.. If we could get like 2nd or 3rd rd for one of them, we probably should go ahead and take it.. We could use the pick to draft OT or C..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #55
GMScud
Swearinger

Why a 1st and a 3rd? It's totally arbitrary. We can't trade him to ourselves, so aside from the Skins, the only teams stupid enough to trade a 1st and 3rd for a TE are Dallas and Oakland.

If someone offered that much I'd certainly take it, but it's not ever going to happen so it seems like a wasted discussion. Especially with how enamored Danny and Vinny are with skill players. This line of thinking (trading good vets for multiple picks) is the exact opposite of the way we do business unfortunately.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #56
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

would totally do it...goodbye, show your penis in blogs to the texans or wherever you go..love the guy, but we need the picks
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #57
freddavisbro86
Camp Scrub

wow alot of fred davis doubters i see, its cool u havent even seen what he can do - when used properly youll see

Last edited by freddavisbro86; 10-19-2009 at 04:48 AM.
freddavisbro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 AM   #58
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Considering that the current cap situation wouldn't allow this until after the season, I would at least consider Cooley for a first and a third at that point. I'm just not sure that price is high enough.

Theoretically, we're getting more than reasonable value for a pro bowl Tight End, but anecdotally seen this type of trade backfire too often to feel comfortable about it. Secondly, any team crazy enough to offer a first and third for a tight end at his developmental prime must be crazy enough to think that we're not using Cooley in an optimal manner. You'd have to at least lend credence to the thought that we could keep him and get more out of him.

So honestly, I don't know how much those two picks would help the rebuilding effort. I'm not a big fan of trading players who have value to the organization for draft choices. I prefer to trade draft choices that have value-added for other draft choices, and to trade players who lack a lot of value to the organization for draft picks.

So while it's definately tempting, I'd say no to Cooley for a 1st and a 3rd. If I could get a first and a second or two firsts though, I'd probably not be able to resist, even given my fears.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 AM   #59
drew54
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddavisbro86 View Post
wow alot of fred davis haters i see, its cool u havent even seen what he can do - when used properly youll see hatersss
Hi Fred, is that you? Maybe catch the ball when thrown to you. Then we all can see what you can do.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2009, 04:11 AM   #60
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddavisbro86 View Post
wow alot of fred davis haters i see, its cool u havent even seen what he can do - when used properly youll see hatersss
We'll see. Did he run hurdles at USC? You can't predict his future anymore than any of us, hopefully he works out and we utilize him well in that regard, but who knows. Don't sound ignorant throwing the word "haters" around, that's for ghetto TV rappers and corner hustlers, not professional athletes.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote