Bryce Harper???

Other Sports

Old 02-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Bryce Harper???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
What happened to all the talking heads saying he doesn't want to go to the Phillies?? He should've stayed in DC for the $300 million...but that didn't get Boris the largest contract ever.
Blatant attempt at leaks by Boras to milk more money out of Philadelphia.

Advertisements
Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #17
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Phillies got a great deal here. If Bryce knew the future free agency had in store for him, he would've resigned with the Nats for 300.

Boras looking like an epic failure as an agent here (which I enjoy).

Sucks Harper is going to the Phillies, which means I will silently boo him for the rest of his years, but I don't think we're going to look back here and say "man, can't believe Harper is only getting paid ~26 or so million a year, what a steal for the Phillies that is!"
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #18
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
He's coming up here. Phillies for sure.
Good call.Not being a super big baseball guy, ......is he worth the money?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #19
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Based on history? No. Based on potential? Sure.

This offseason was a wakeup call though, teams aren't going to spend top dollar on a single guy anymore because even the projected impact isn't worth the potential cap hell.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #20
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
$25.3M per season though, Arenado got $32M per season. Shorter period yeah, but much higher cost. Phillies didn't do badly here at all.

They did once you take into consideration that his play is probably going to be declining around 34. Then you are on the hook for 5 more years of a declining (even more) player at that figure as well.

I for one am glad the Nats didn't put that kind of length into any offer. Not sure why he didn't take the 10yr/300 million they offered. Makes you wonder if the Nats were really serious about the offer to begin with.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
They did once you take into consideration that his play is probably going to be declining around 34. Then you are on the hook for 5 more years of a declining (even more) player at that figure as well.

I for one am glad the Nats didn't put that kind of length into any offer. Not sure why he didn't take the 10yr/300 million they offered. Makes you wonder if the Nats were really serious about the offer to begin with.
Maybe. But when Ryan Howard and Chase Utley's play declined I thought to myself well this sucks but 2008 made it all worth it.

If the Skins won the SB in 2020 and then found themselves in cap prison from 2024-2026, would you be OK with it? I think I know how most would answer.

Of course there are no guarantees the Phils will get a ring with Harper under contract. If it doesn't happen, then it wasn't worth it. If it does, then it was. Sports in a nutshell right there.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
He wouldn't have been worth $30M per season. But $25M per season I'm good with.

His defensive value isn't great. He's not a liability on defense at all, but he's also not adding a lot of value. In Citizen's Bank Park though where the OF is small, his range isn't as important.

What is important is the lineup impact he has. Rhys Hoskins has never had this kind of lineup protection, his numbers should get better just because of the presence of Harper. Harper led MLB in walks last season, his career OBP is 0.388. He'll be on base a lot, and he'll drive in his fair share as well.

It's not just about Harper as an individual, it's about how he affects the rest of the lineup. The Phillies had already made big improvements by acquiring Jean Segura to play short, JT Realmuto behind the plate, and a declining Andrew McCutcheon to play OF who is no longer the all star level player but still an offensive threat.

Segura consistently hits 0.300 so he fits perfectly at the top of the order. Harper being the lefty power hitter breaks up the right handed heavy order, so he slots naturally into the 3 hole. That puts Hoskins the young slugger right behind him in the 4, with Harper and Segura on base ahead of him plenty.

Realmuto slots in as a nice 5th, a guy with good gap power who had 30 doubles and ~20 HRs each season the last two years.

And then your 6 7 8 become McCutcheon, Odubel Herrera, and Maikel Franco in some order. McCutch is on the downside but still gets 20+ HRs per season. And Franco and Herrera don't make for great middle of the order hitters the way the Phillies had to use them the last few seasons. But they make for a great bottom of the order. For your 7 and 8 hitters to be guys who hit 0.260 - 0.270 and 20 HRs apiece, that's dangerous and gives you the ability to score in any inning.

Harper works the count. With the rest of the lineup around him, the Phillies will run pitch counts up and get deep into the bullpen of opposing staffs in a hurry. His fit into the lineup as a lefty slugger is perfect.

And best part of all, this should make Mike Trout want to come home in 2021, for certain.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Phillies line up is fairly stacked...the only issue with the team is outside of Nola there isn't great pitching. Arrieta is about done.

13 years is long, but you get his prime years. I just don't think he's a great an offensive player as many believe.

I think the east will be extremely competitive, should be fun.

Update, the more I read the better I like the deal for both.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 03-01-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:17 AM   #24
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Now you got Bryce calling Philly the greatest city in the world.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nstagram-story
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #25
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Well if you're a fan of Max striking out Bryce, last night was alright. If you're a Nats fan, a fan of competent bullpens, a fan of the Nats lineup, a fan of Trea Turner or Matt Adams, a fan of curly W's, or a fan of Bryce doing nothing, last night sucked. Congrats to Bryce on a successful return to Nats Park.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #26
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'm a Braves fan, we can all hate Harper together now.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #27
MTK
\m/

That worked out well, Harper with a epic bat flip too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 AM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Well if you're a fan of Max striking out Bryce, last night was alright. If you're a Nats fan, a fan of competent bullpens, a fan of the Nats lineup, a fan of Trea Turner or Matt Adams, a fan of curly W's, or a fan of Bryce doing nothing, last night sucked. Congrats to Bryce on a successful return to Nats Park.
Lol...oh shit did trea turner get hurt? I saw him get hit...and thought wow that’s a guy who can’t go down right now.

Bryce’s bat just passed over my house down here...yup still flipping

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 04-03-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #29
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

O's fan but I pretty much hate all things about philadelphia so F philly
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #30
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote: