Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


3-4 vs. 4-3

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #31
Meks
Playmaker
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 3,915
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

with a fresh coordinator and scheme and a much better defensive mind this roster should crush it.
__________________
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR

BURN IT DOWN!
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #32
JoLo
Impact Rookie
 
JoLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 533
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
Are Sweat and/or Young going to play DE or OLB?



Would the line look like this?

DE Sweat, Young

DT Allen, Ioannidis, or Payne (with one of them on bench in base 43?)



Or more like this?

DE Allen, Ioannidis

DT Payne, Settle (with Sweat and Young at OLB?)



Or something in between?


I think the answer is simple. Theyíll be defensive ends primarily. Del rio will have them with their hands in the dirt in every situation possible. He already made comments about guys who are best going after the qb need to be doing that as much as possible
JoLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #33
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,620
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
Are Sweat and/or Young going to play DE or OLB?

Would the line look like this?
DE Sweat, Young
DT Allen, Ioannidis, or Payne (with one of them on bench in base 43?)

Or more like this?
DE Allen, Ioannidis
DT Payne, Settle (with Sweat and Young at OLB?)

Or something in between?
Rotation, situational substitution, resting players and keeping them fresh. Yes, yes, yes. For example I do not want Sweat on the field on an obvious run play. But a pass play he needs to be in there. With all of the talent we have and if we add Young and keep Kerrigan, this front seven will be much improved.
But the greatest room for improvement and will hopefully be most notable on the field is what Meks is saying, we FINALLY have a defensive coaching staff that knows what they are doing. Our coaches have been so bad for so long.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #34
SFREDSKIN
MVP
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 12,077
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Sweat, Young at DE, Kerrigan (for the right price) McKinzy

Payne, Settle inside or Allen, Ionnadis, any combo would do, serious fucking talent and beef here.

LBís Holcomb, Anderson (move him inside) Foster when recovers, SDH, Bostic if he stays.

This group with Del Rio could be as effective, if not more dominant than SF. Theyíve underachieve and itís time to kick some serious ass.

Get Chase!!
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #35
AnonEmouse
Impact Rookie
 
AnonEmouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 696
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Sweat, Young at DE, Kerrigan (for the right price) McKinzy

Payne, Settle inside or Allen, Ionnadis, any combo would do, serious fucking talent and beef here.

LBís Holcomb, Anderson (move him inside) Foster when recovers, SDH, Bostic if he stays.

This group with Del Rio could be as effective, if not more dominant than SF. Theyíve underachieve and itís time to kick some serious ass.

Get Chase!!
+1

Also means that barring BPA being an LB, we can spend a pick or 2 on the secondary and still have picks for the OL and TE. Or better still, go after a good S and/or CB (Jones?) in FA and spend the rest on O/BPA.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #36
calia
The Starter
 
calia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Woodside, CA
Posts: 2,240
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
+1



Also means that barring BPA being an LB, we can spend a pick or 2 on the secondary and still have picks for the OL and TE. Or better still, go after a good S and/or CB (Jones?) in FA and spend the rest on O/BPA.


Improving the FS spot will be key too. With fewer LBs in coverage, the importance of someone at the S position with range is higher and thatís a big need.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Coach, what do you think of your team's execution?"
"I'm all for it." -- Coach McKay
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Posts: 13,699
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
Are Sweat and/or Young going to play DE or OLB?

Would the line look like this?
DE Sweat, Young
DT Allen, Ioannidis, or Payne (with one of them on bench in base 43?)

Or more like this?
DE Allen, Ioannidis
DT Payne, Settle (with Sweat and Young at OLB?)

Or something in between?
Sweat and Young at DE
Payne, Allen, Ionnadis, and Settle at DT

Kerrigan at DE too but we will see what we do with him
__________________
https://open.spotify.com/artist/2DfaB5lr7hZsqiI4W15Lge

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #38
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams
 
Bishop Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 323
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

This is a great breakdown of the 4-3 defense.
https://youtu.be/DnjySDZJLlc

https://youtu.be/lbIX-Exm1xQ

For the longest time I didn't know what 0,1, 2, 3, etc, etc tech and A, B, C, etc gap meant. Thanks to this video I now have some idea. Plus the creator is a legit Skins fan so that's morw reason to show the content and it's creator some love.
__________________
I don't have to sell my soul
he's already in me
I don't need to sell my soul
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"

Last edited by Bishop Hammer; 02-29-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #39
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,071
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
with a fresh coordinator and scheme and a much better defensive mind this roster should crush it.
Maybe im in a debbie downer mood ... but im starting to think Payne and Allen are just really good players and not great not elite. I really like them but we did spend 2 1st R on them (passed up on Derwin James) and when it comes to contract talks ... are we going to have to pay these "really good" players elite type money in a year or two?
__________________
"We haven't put it together. We've made too many mistakes on game day. But the effort. The effort of the players and the rest of this organization is fantastic," Redskins Team President Bruce Allen said in early October.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #40
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,583
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Maybe im in a debbie downer mood ... but im starting to think Payne and Allen are just really good players and not great not elite. I really like them but we did spend 2 1st R on them (passed up on Derwin James) and when it comes to contract talks ... are we going to have to pay these "really good" players elite type money in a year or two?
Gotta reset opinions now that they are with a competent DC. I think Payne played pretty damn well last year. Eager to see him as a 4-3 DT than the nose.
__________________
Happy Thanksgiving!
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #41
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,071
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Gotta reset opinions now that they are with a competent DC. I think Payne played pretty damn well last year. Eager to see him as a 4-3 DT than the nose.
yeah thats what Im telling myself .. but there were many times last year where payne or allen were just hat on hat with an O line guy and they didnt win the battle ... but then there were times when they did, or payne would shoot the gap like a freak of nature given his size.

Their goal line stands last year were amazing. Ive never seen a skins D line hold on goal line stands like they did.

Idk ... im starting to think neither will be all-pro and thats fine, they dont have to be ... but I was hoping for more than just really good. I was hoping for a Fletcher Cox out of one of them. Still early ..
__________________
"We haven't put it together. We've made too many mistakes on game day. But the effort. The effort of the players and the rest of this organization is fantastic," Redskins Team President Bruce Allen said in early October.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #42
GridIron26
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,298
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
yeah thats what Im telling myself .. but there were many times last year where payne or allen were just hat on hat with an O line guy and they didnt win the battle ... but then there were times when they did, or payne would shoot the gap like a freak of nature given his size.

Their goal line stands last year were amazing. Ive never seen a skins D line hold on goal line stands like they did.

Idk ... im starting to think neither will be all-pro and thats fine, they dont have to be ... but I was hoping for more than just really good. I was hoping for a Fletcher Cox out of one of them. Still early ..
Del Rio said he noticed the players were often confused on the plays when he studied Redskins defense. Being confused about what you are supposed to do will impact your performance regardless of your talents/strength.. I believe we have to give the players a clean slate with new coaches - if they continue to perform same as they did before then we can start considering if it's worthwhile for Redskins to keep those players.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #43
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,071
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Del Rio said he noticed the players were often confused on the plays when he studied Redskins defense. Being confused about what you are supposed to do will impact your performance regardless of your talents/strength.. I believe we have to give the players a clean slate with new coaches - if they continue to perform same as they did before then we can start considering if it's worthwhile for Redskins to keep those players.
I gotta double down on the debbie downer here, again.

New coaches come in and always identify what the past coaches were doing wrong and what new exciting ideas the new coach has for the unit. Id guess Manusky, barry Tosula all said the same word salad of "same page", "all in", "aggressive", "cohesive unit", "attacking", "accountability", "best position to win", "play to their strengths" etc

it is not lost on me that Im complaining about players "only being really good and not elite" ... or that they are still young and have improved each year.
__________________
"We haven't put it together. We've made too many mistakes on game day. But the effort. The effort of the players and the rest of this organization is fantastic," Redskins Team President Bruce Allen said in early October.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #44
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,620
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

With a lot of winning teams (Ravens, Rams, 49ers etc) running variations of the outside zone running game and using the play action boot leg off of that. I thought it was interesting to learn how it was successfully defended by the 49ers and Patriots. Most importantly the chess game of adjustments that Gruden and staff did not have the brain capacity to do, but our new defensive staff does. Please note the 49ers run the 4-3 as base with D-line playing 2 gap and secondary playing a zone 4 deep quarters coverage. We will be playing 4-3 as our base now, which our D-line is our strength so it makes sense. Plus i have always preferred the 4-3 as base D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VeTo8Becw
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #45
Meks
Playmaker
 
Meks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 3,915
Re: 3-4 vs. 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I gotta double down on the debbie downer here, again.

New coaches come in and always identify what the past coaches were doing wrong and what new exciting ideas the new coach has for the unit. Id guess Manusky, barry Tosula all said the same word salad of "same page", "all in", "aggressive", "cohesive unit", "attacking", "accountability", "best position to win", "play to their strengths" etc

it is not lost on me that Im complaining about players "only being really good and not elite" ... or that they are still young and have improved each year.
when the past coach should be coaching on the high school level tho its a big difference
__________________
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR

BURN IT DOWN!
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.21986 seconds with 10 queries