Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #181
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Dwayne Haskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
You would be surprised how much wealth of knowledge can be obtained from guys like Case Keenum and Alex Smith. And yes, I'd even say Colt McCoy to a lesser extent. I don't see a need for Haskins to be thrown into the fire unless he clearly beats out the other guys for the starting job.

It's not like he's coming onto the scene with John Beck and enter no-name quarterback as the backup. He's got some guys around him who can help build him up. Gruden is pretty good with quarterbacks, and he's got some former quarterbacks as coaches who can help further develop him. I think Haskins will be OK.
O I think he can learn either way and I believe he will be fine either way but I'd rather have him start day 1 if he proves it in the Pre Season

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2019, 01:15 AM   #182
httr198020
Special Teams

Jay should put Haskins out there when he's ready and not a moment before.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #183
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
He is already better than Keenum, might as well start him barring a horrible Pre season.

We don’t know that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #184
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

The best QB should play until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Same for every position imo. After that, nothing wrong with letting the young guys play a lot more and/or start, even if they aren't necessarily the best at that given time.

Hopefully Haskins wins the job, but also nothing wrong with him sitting and watching for part of the year, or even the whole year if we somehow get 2017 Keenum.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #185
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We don’t know that yet.

We don't but as for potential its not even close.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #186
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1h6bc3Dniw

Good stuff from Bruce
Old 05-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #187
MTK
\m/

They key is going to be Gruden and KOC designing an offense he can handle as a rookie.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #188
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
They key is going to be Gruden and KOC designing an offense he can handle as a rookie.

No doubt, I believe they will. I know some here are hesitant to play him right away but I think this guy is special. He's super smart
Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #189
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:

If that's the key then we're screwed. Jay Gruden's offense was designed in the 1980's by somebody else and he has used that offense, unchanged in any way, since he has been an OC. Gruden has no imagination whatsoever and his totally predictable play-calling proves it. On the positive side, perhaps our new HC can design something effective for Haskins in 2020.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #190
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

After watching every snap from 2018 on Haskins:

STRENGTHS
1. Accurate passer from the pocket, hits all 3 phases well. Short , Medium , Deep.
2. Shows resilience when his team is down in the 4th QTR, led a couple of very good comeback drives late.
3. Leader, you can see his guys love playing with him.
4. Kid is smart, he can recognize coverage very quickly after the snap.

WEAKNESS
1. Footwork needs work, too many times he threw off balance and mechanics were off.
2. Played in a very pass friendly system (as do most College QB's)
3. Times under pressure he missed wide open and I mean WIDE open guys running downfield.
4. Not really a weakness but he isn't very mobile, better than some think though but he is 100% a pocket passer.

Overall I think he's going to be as good as Kirk was, he will put up good numbers if surrounded by weapons like Kirk had. The big difference? Haskins is great in the RZ and in late game situations.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #191
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
After watching every snap from 2018 on Haskins:

STRENGTHS
1. Accurate passer from the pocket, hits all 3 phases well. Short , Medium , Deep.
2. Shows resilience when his team is down in the 4th QTR, led a couple of very good comeback drives late.
3. Leader, you can see his guys love playing with him.
4. Kid is smart, he can recognize coverage very quickly after the snap.

WEAKNESS
1. Footwork needs work, too many times he threw off balance and mechanics were off.
2. Played in a very pass friendly system (as do most College QB's)
3. Times under pressure he missed wide open and I mean WIDE open guys running downfield.
4. Not really a weakness but he isn't very mobile, better than some think though but he is 100% a pocket passer.

Overall I think he's going to be as good as Kirk was, he will put up good numbers if surrounded by weapons like Kirk had. The big difference? Haskins is great in the RZ and in late game situations.
Thanks for the analysis. I'm not too concerned about the footwork issue, since that is something Haskins can fix eventually. The biggest thing I love about Haskins is his ability to handle comeback pressure, which is completely opposite of Cousins. While Redskins offense is good enough to protect and develop Haskins this year, Redskins definitely will need to upgrade receivers and maybe tackle position (TW is getting old and Moses need to show he can play at top level consistently) next year to help Haskins go even further.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #192
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Thanks for the analysis. I'm not too concerned about the footwork issue, since that is something Haskins can fix eventually. The biggest thing I love about Haskins is his ability to handle comeback pressure, which is completely opposite of Cousins. While Redskins offense is good enough to protect and develop Haskins this year, Redskins definitely will need to upgrade receivers and maybe tackle position (TW is getting old and Moses need to show he can play at top level consistently) next year to help Haskins go even further.
Weapons will have to be upgraded yearly, especially at TE.

Trent is fine, believe it or not he's still only 30 yrs old
Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #193
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:

I would wait 2 more seasons before spending a 1st rounder on his replacement. Anticipating team needs for next or that year is tough but, I really think we're trending in the right direction (on paper) with the youth we have to make that happen.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 05-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #194
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:

I take it back. I didn't realize Trent is only 30, for some reason I thought he is mid 30's by now
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #195
skinsnut
Playmaker

I am frankly not concerned with Haskins as our starter from a passing game standpoint. He will learn the best on the field and in practice getting all the reps.
Putting him on a shelf is crazy if he can play...that ironically could stunt him too as he wont get any reps, or attention if he isn't the starter once the bullets start flying.

I am more concerned with him playing under center. Any new QB must also learn the playbook and establish rapport with playmakers too.
It is a real stretch for him to learn all this, and audibles, checkdowns, protections, etc.
But from my very limited knowledge, he has a bunch of shotgun experience, but not so much snapping the ball.

Am I wrong?