NFL Anthem Policy

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #196
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: NFL Anthem Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
There is a train of thought out there about Trump on this issue. Theory is Trump has a serious axe to grind against the NFL. Especially the owners. Seems Trump made a bid to buy the Buffalo Bills in 2014 and the owners 'blackballed' him by not approving the sale. Thoughts are he did not like being prevented from joining that elite fraternity of NFL owners. No matter what the league did here, Trump would find fault in it.
No , he was "blackballed" along time before that .

The 1985 USFL championship game was held at Giants Stadium, home of the New Jersey Generals, who were owned by future presidential candidate Donald Trump. And it was Trump's strategy for the league that is widely considered to have led to its demise.Jul 14, 2015

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/do...he-got-crushed

Advertisements
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #197
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Conveniently leaves out a big stat here...while trying to apple and orange products. What’s the biggest comparable product to the NFL not included?

College Football....and the fact ratings are way up. If Coke sales dropped 15%(huge in the marketplace...NFL yuge) wouldn’t you look at Diet Coke sales?

Also I like how he admits nfl ratings are down but. Streaming has affected tv watching for years...but the nfl before that protest had bucked it.

The protests have certainly affected viewership and the slip in ratings and merchandise are evident to nfl and tv executives.
Not sure if that is true about college football here was last seasons viewership. Overall it was down but the jump at Fox makes me question whether it was a significant downward trend.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #198
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah as really need to be in the trying to win back viewers and win back respect most of all.
Think the NFL needed to suspend the player or players that kneel down and deck money from their check books/pay.
To teach them a huge lessons. Yes is is chump change. But put politics out of the game. Want to watch the game. Not see a political rally.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #199
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Yeah as really need to be in the trying to win back viewers and win back respect most of all.
Think the NFL needed to suspend the player or players that kneel down and deck money from their check books/pay.
To teach them a huge lessons. Yes is is chump change. But put politics out of the game. Want to watch the game. Not see a political rally.
"To teach them a huge lessons"? Wait one cotton pickin minute!
Them boys got too much money. Too bad we can't teach them a huge lessons like my grand pappy used to back in the good ole days.
/s

If you don't want politics in the game, reach out to FOX and demand that they don't acknowledge the protest during the broadcast and don't attend the first 3 minutes of the game.

Mostly white billionaires "punishing" black millionaires isn't the publicity/politics the NFL needs.
NFL owners need to support their current and former players by working with the players on an anthem resolution and also paying out CTE settlements.

The anthem is pretty much run its course but if the owners draw a hard line in the sand, players are going to cross it.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #200
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I am getting tired of this BS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...layers-n893021
Old 07-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #201
MTK
\m/

I haven't heard a better idea yet than the one proposed by Ross Tucker. He said let's have a moment of silence before the anthem where the player's causes will be acknowledged, the players are free to kneel, hold a fist in the air, whatever, then everyone stands for the anthem.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #202
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I haven't heard a better idea yet than the one proposed by Ross Tucker. He said let's have a moment of silence before the anthem where the player's causes will be acknowledged, the players are free to kneel, hold a fist in the air, whatever, then everyone stands for the anthem.
Fine. I realize this is all for good cause and such but it's not all the same cause and I am just tired of all the BS.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #203
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think this would be great
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #204
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
I'm more than fine with that idea!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #205
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'll agree that people can kneel during anthem, hell even burn a flag, if ESPN and other sports sites can no longer give a team by team breakdown every week of how many/what players did so.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #206
MTK
\m/

Trump is rock hard over the anthem "issue" today of course

Meanwhile...

@evansilva
Such a joke. 2 players kneeled. 24 teams played. 90-man rosters. 2 out of 2,160 players. 0.09%. #StickToActualProblems
Old 08-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #207
irish
Playmaker

Personally I don't think they should even play the anthem anymore. Its not played before a movie, concert, or Broadway show so why do it before a sports game. I am always fascinated at how people want to solemnize something as trivial as a sporting event.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #208
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
No , he was "blackballed" along time before that .

The 1985 USFL championship game was held at Giants Stadium, home of the New Jersey Generals, who were owned by future presidential candidate Donald Trump. And it was Trump's strategy for the league that is widely considered to have led to its demise.Jul 14, 2015

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/do...he-got-crushed
That's the premise of the 30 for 30 "Small Potatoes".
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #209
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Funny, I haven't heard of any 'work' being done by these gentlemen on the issues they are protesting about in, oh about seven months. Are the issues they care about so much only worth bringing attention to during football season? If the issues are so near and dear to their hearts that they want to use the two minutes set aside to respect the flag, what the hell are they doing about it when it's not football season? Perhaps the fight persisted after the end of football season, but I haven't been in a hole the last seven months, and I haven't heard or seen anything about it from NFL players...until last night.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #210
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Funny, I haven't heard of any 'work' being done by these gentlemen on the issues they are protesting about in, oh about seven months. Are the issues they care about so much only worth bringing attention to during football season? If the issues are so near and dear to their hearts that they want to use the two minutes set aside to respect the flag, what the hell are they doing about it when it's not football season? Perhaps the fight persisted after the end of football season, but I haven't been in a hole the last seven months, and I haven't heard or seen anything about it from NFL players...until last night.
NFL players, reform advocates kick off campaign on social justice

NFL's Players Coalition members may be giving up protests, but activism, advocacy continue

NFL Player’s Drive for Social Justice Takes Him to the Hill