Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Latest espn mock

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #16
offiss

Re: Latest espn mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Between a big time CB and Mike Williams at 9 - gotta take Mike. I think he'll be a good receiver and with his hands and not relying on speed to beat DBs, I feel he'll be able to play some as a rookie and be somewhat successfull.

Daseal I know you have an eye for talent see what you can dig up highlight wise on V. Jackson and tell me what you think. I really like this guy.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #17
offiss

Quote:
Between a big time CB and Mike Williams at 9 - gotta take Mike. I think he'll be a good receiver and with his hands and not relying on speed to beat DBs, I feel he'll be able to play some as a rookie and be somewhat successfull.

nice article on Jackson

http://www.kktv.com/sports/headlines/1188281.html
Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

This probably wouldn't happen but if we got Derrick Johnson at number 9 I would love that. He is going to be a great linebacker with the only thing to stop him from doing that is a freak injury. If Barrow comes back he could play strong safety maybe or we could start playing New England's type of defense with linebackers moving around a lot more and playing down or up.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #19
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003
This probably wouldn't happen but if we got Derrick Johnson at number 9 I would love that. He is going to be a great linebacker with the only thing to stop him from doing that is a freak injury. If Barrow comes back he could play strong safety maybe or we could start playing New England's type of defense with linebackers moving around a lot more and playing down or up.

Barrow at strong safety??????
Old 03-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #20
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:

I doubt we draft a LB. We have plenty of depth at the position. And moving Barrow to SS would be a huge mistake. I mean the guy can barely run right now, and he's doesn't have the speed to be a Safety
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #21
e16bball
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
Based on the very popular, pick for talent not position, strategy. Wouldnt we assume that at the 9th pick there is no de? You could argue that maybe a lb and convert, but at the 9th pick? Thats risky. So throw defensive ends out. And I ask this.

If Antrelle Rolle, and Mike Williams are on the board at 9. Who does the Gibb's racing team go with?

My opinion is Rolle. Less of a risk.
I can't imagine that we would take Rolle over Williams. Williams is one of the few players in this draft that almost everyone believes is a stud. He has the size, hands, and physical ability to be one of the best in the league. Rolle is good, but he isn't on the same plane, especially since there is less emphasis being placed on big "shut-down" corners and we have such a small WR corps. Williams is a perfect fit and should be taken over Rolle; I think Rolle is a good fallback option though.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #22
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Ah, my bad I meant that Derrick Johnson may be able to play Strong Safety due to his speed and agility. I believe he ran a faster 40 then Thomas Davis who is actually a safety, It would be like have 5 linebackers on the field.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 PM   #23
e16bball
Special Teams

Quote:
Ah, my bad I meant that Derrick Johnson may be able to play Strong Safety due to his speed and agility. I believe he ran a faster 40 then Thomas Davis who is actually a safety, It would be like have 5 linebackers on the field.
Davis ran very poorly at the Combine, but he ripped off a 4.43 at his Pro Day, which is significantly better than DJ's 4.52. Johnson hasn't run a short shuttle yet due to conditions at the Texas Pro Day, but Davis's time was very impressive in that event (3.97). DJ might be able to play SS in a pinch, but he doesn't have the coverage skills and speed/quickness necessary. It's a nice thought, but DJ is definitely an OLB, and the question facing us is whether we want to move Marcus Washington inside in order to get him.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #24
John Hasbrouck
Special Teams

DEs Dan Cody- Shaun Cody- Matt Roth all 3 are damn good prospects-But IF Derrick Johnson is available at 9 I would suspect we would pick him-I don't think Barrow will get very far into the season
John Hasbrouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #25
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I think that would be a shame for poor Lemar. We promote him and then replace him in the draft when we have much more glaring needs.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 AM   #26
jrocx69
Special Teams

Quote:
Let's not forget Rogers beat both Rolle and Pac-Man out to get the best DB in the league award last year. In my opinion, Rogers may be the best of the three. PacMan is quick, sacrifices his body, and a good tackler, Rolle is big, kinda slow (lets not trust the combine), good fundamentals. Rogers has a mix of the size and speed and fundamentals. I think he's all around the best one. He can match up with a TO/Moss type, but then also take a Holt type. If we're stuck at 9 without a real playmaker there I bet we'll get some calls to trade down.
agreed i as well would take rogers at 9, trading down doesnt seem likely with all the parity between players

and i wouldnt mind shawn merriman either at 9

my biggest concern though, is how do we get vincent jackson w/o a second rd pick, i would love to get ramsey a big big target a the wr position if MW is taken at 9. our biggest need is offense in the redzone, we are just flat horrid in there. i think a big wr would help dramaticly along with cooley and royal in the mix inside the 20.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #27
BossHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy
First time I've seen a reputable mock with us taking Rolle.
Reputable? Hmmm.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #28
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

This is interesting, from the Sun-Sentinel:

"Armelia Rolle said her son will have a workout Tuesday with the Dolphins, who have the second overall selection in the NFL draft. Rolle also has agreed to pre-draft workouts with San Francisco, which selects first, Detroit (10th), Houston (13th) and Carolina (14th).

Armelia Rolle said her son, who is regarded as one of the draft's top defensive backs, declined individual workouts with the New York Jets and St. Louis. She also said the only players the 49ers are hosting for individual workouts besides Rolle are Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards and quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers (California) and Alex Smith (Utah)."

Wonder why the Skins aren't mentioned here
Old 04-02-2005, 02:40 AM   #29
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
This is interesting, from the Sun-Sentinel:

"Armelia Rolle said her son will have a workout Tuesday with the Dolphins, who have the second overall selection in the NFL draft. Rolle also has agreed to pre-draft workouts with San Francisco, which selects first, Detroit (10th), Houston (13th) and Carolina (14th).

Armelia Rolle said her son, who is regarded as one of the draft's top defensive backs, declined individual workouts with the New York Jets and St. Louis. She also said the only players the 49ers are hosting for individual workouts besides Rolle are Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards and quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers (California) and Alex Smith (Utah)."

Wonder why the Skins aren't mentioned here
So far...still early I guess
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote