Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jerod Mayo?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Jerod Mayo?

So La Canfora mentions that the Skins will have former Tennessee LB Jerod Mayo in for workouts and could be a target in the draft. To me, the linebackers we have are pretty much set, and it's just one of those positions (along with QB and RB) that the Redskins just don't have a need for.

I know Rocky's return is a question mark, but it just seems that we have far more pressing needs at OL, DL, WR and Secondary.

So it brings to mind a question: what position could the Skins draft early, say 1st or 2nd round that would make you shake your head in disbelief? Like I said, to me that would be QB, LB, and RB.

Mods: hopefully this isn't too close to "Saden's bitter Draft" thread. Merge if necessary.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

Re: Jerod Mayo?

Maybe its recon for a draft-and-trade deal with another team. It never hurts to do your homework on everyone just in case.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

For me, it's QB. Unless you're in a position to draft a QB someone else needs (such as the Falcons perhaps) and are using it as leverage to trade for more picks.

But if you do that you better have the trade in place before hand
Old 04-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

While maybe not a major need I still think LB is a spot we'll address at some point in the draft based on Rocky's knees and Washington's recent injury problems.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

I think the Redskins draft him if:

1. They become scared off by the bust factor of Campbell and Balmer
2. They become scared off by Merlings sports hernia
3. DRC doesn't fall to them

With that said I don't really question the BPA philosophy that the Redskins have stated publically. Of course they'll all but cross out certain positions in the draft like QB unless Matt Ryan falls to them but I think last year by drafting Landry over Amobi and Cariker, the front office showed that they're willing to take the BPA.

They also might draft Keith Rivers if he falls.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
djnemo65
Playmaker

Plus, while I don't know a ton about Mayo everything I have heard indicates that he will be a great value in the bottom third of the first round. Kiper was saying he has top 10 talent.

I don't see our LB's as being set at all. Rocky suffered a severe injury, Washington has been hurt for the better part of three years, and Fletch is going to be 40 like next weekend. We have a certain degree of depth there, but if the best athlete available at 21 is a LB I wouldn't have a problem taking him. It has been LB play that has carried our defense for a couple years now so getting younger, faster, and better there doesn't sound too bad to me.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
jamf
Pro Bowl

I agree with DJNemo.
Fletcher and Washington have very limited time left and McIntosh is coming off of a severe knee injury.
It's time we spent some picks on depth at linebacker. We don't have to get the next Superstar but we do have to find quality guys that can step in a few years down the road.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think a while back (around the combine) they were looking at Beaul Bell and Ben Moffitt

I think that if we get someone like Merling we could even have some scenarios where Wilson lines up LB
Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
RMSkins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think a while back (around the combine) they were looking at Beaul Bell and Ben Moffitt

I think that if we get someone like Merling we could even have some scenarios where Wilson lines up LB
I really like Beau Bell a lot. I am hoping he's still around for our 5th round pick. As for Jerod Mayo I think he's a good LB, but for us to get him we would have to draft him with the 21st pick because he won't be around when we pick in the 2nd round, and to me picking a LB at #21 is a mistake when there are other quality LB's that are going to be around in the later rounds like Beau Bell, and Phillip Wheeler.
RMSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I think we have more pressing needs than LB, but Fletcher is 33, Washington is 30, Rocky is coming off a major knee injury and supposedly has a degenerative knee condition in both knees, Godfrey is old and hasn't re-signed, and Blades isn't even a lock to make the roster. In other words, our LB corps is not exactly rock solid. In fact, our LB corps is riddled with question marks.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
davelavarra
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
I think we have more pressing needs than LB, but Fletcher is 33, Washington is 30, Rocky is coming off a major knee injury and supposedly has a degenerative knee condition in both knees, Godfrey is old and hasn't re-signed, and Blades isn't even a lock to make the roster. In other words, our LB corps is not exactly rock solid. In fact, our LB corps is riddled with question marks.
To my opinion we are pretty much set in linebacker corps, however we could get one in day two, and I don't really think that Mayo or Bell will be available. You get one to get depth (I like Wheeler from G-Tech, you still find him in 4th or 5th round), but you go another year with Fletcher, Rocky and Marcus, then next year you pick one on Day 1. There's no urgency in 2008 for LB's.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
EXoffender
The Starter

Yes to Mayo. I think we'll draft a LB or two in the 3rd or lower rounds
EXoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
DiehardSkin88

Some mock drafts have him going in the 1st round so there's no chance we'll be able to aquire him, unless we get him in the first which in my opinion would be a waste of the pick..
DiehardSkin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Rajmahal33
Special Teams

My only issue with picking Mayo so early is that, starting LB's in the NFL are almost a dime a dozen. More importantly, there are diamonds in the rough to be had for sure. Whether its in later rounds or FA market signing or even in off of a practice squad. If need be we can find a LB or two at any given time (case in point Godfrey)

Also LB's tend to be system guys (more so than any other defensive position) so a great guy for our current 4-3 system could be ineffective in a 3-4 role (or for zone vs gap responsiblities, or rush vs pass, etc etc). Who's to say we don't get a new defensive coordinator in a year or two who implements a totally different system which Mayo might not fit into (a la Lavar). Vesting such a high pick in a guy who isn't absolutely necessary to improve our defense would be foolish IMO.

Considering the risk-reward tradeoff as well as the overall pool of starting LBs, I think it would be a stretch to pick up any LB in the 1st round. There will be CB's, D-linemen, O-linemen, and WR's available of comparable talent levels.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

If we were to pick someone like Mayo or Connor in the first round to me that would throw up a bunch of red flags that that pick isn't for us. That in, let's say June, that pick is going to a team that needs a linebacker...like maybe the Bengals?