Branden Albert

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Brandon Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGreene28 View Post
Don't believe that report... they have to put something negative for everybody. From what I saw he was mauling LB and DB in the open field like they stole something. DUde has a serious mean streak and I like it.
Well, lets pretend for a second that the opinion stated in the report is as true as an opinion can be. The thing that worries me about Albert is he doesn't have lots of raw power like a Chilo Rachel. However the part that gives me hope is the guy reportedly has a mean streak, which makes me believe that Bugel is more then capable of teaching the guy technique when it comes to run blocking.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
DGreene28
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Well, lets pretend for a second that the opinion stated in the report is as true as an opinion can be. The thing that worries me about Albert is he doesn't have lots of raw power like a Chilo Rachel. However the part that gives me hope is the guy reportedly has a mean streak, which makes me believe that Bugel is more then capable of teaching the guy technique when it comes to run blocking.
True he doesn't have the raw power of Chilo. But he is very agile and quick ... he was out in front of Simpson on run pull plays setting up multiple blocks. Some knockdown pancakes vs ACC competition. Not your typical engage and push down cakes but frieght train coming through players bouncing off him ala Sellers vs Kennedy... Then he keeps going looking for the next guy. Rachal is a great prospect too but I think ALbert is a next level type prospect. If we had Albert on one side and THomas on the other thats two really good pulling G's we could add whole new dynamic to our offense. Kendall is a nice G, but he can't stay in front of CP... don't even mention Fabini or Wade. Albert can stay out front of CP better then Thomas and Sellers next season. Did I mention Albert's reception and juke in the open field? It's a thing of beauty. I don't want to give away our hand or anything but if DRC, Albert and Hardy are all on the board when we pick... it will be a tough one.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
True he doesn't have the raw power of Chilo. But he is very agile and quick ... he was out in front of Simpson on run pull plays setting up multiple blocks. Some knockdown pancakes vs ACC competition. Not your typical engage and push down cakes but frieght train coming through players bouncing off him ala Sellers vs Kennedy... Then he keeps going looking for the next guy. Rachal is a great prospect too but I think ALbert is a next level type prospect. If we had Albert on one side and THomas on the other thats two really good pulling G's we could add whole new dynamic to our offense. Kendall is a nice G, but he can't stay in front of CP... don't even mention Fabini or Wade. Albert can stay out front of CP better then Thomas and Sellers next season. Did I mention Albert's reception and juke in the open field? It's a thing of beauty. I don't want to give away our hand or anything but if DRC, Albert and Hardy are all on the board when we pick... it will be a tough one.
i wouldn't worry too much about that, though that'd be ideal. if you include guys like merling, harvey, and thomas, then there's a real good shot that at least 1 or 2 fall to us. I really don't like the 2nd round DEs nearly as much as the 1st round guys though :/. late picks (DE hardie in the 6th, zuttah at OT possibly in the 5th, etc) at least give some hope of a late find.

that said, guards just dont go before ~28 in the draft unless they're really good. i mean, the best guard in the game sat on the draft board till 17, and he was constantly making blocks 20 yards downfield in college. If you're going conservative, OL/S in the first 2 rounds are clearly the safest bets.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
DGreene28
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
i wouldn't worry too much about that, though that'd be ideal. if you include guys like merling, harvey, and thomas, then there's a real good shot that at least 1 or 2 fall to us. I really don't like the 2nd round DEs nearly as much as the 1st round guys though :/. late picks (DE hardie in the 6th, zuttah at OT possibly in the 5th, etc) at least give some hope of a late find.

that said, guards just dont go before ~28 in the draft unless they're really good. i mean, the best guard in the game sat on the draft board till 17, and he was constantly making blocks 20 yards downfield in college. If you're going conservative, OL/S in the first 2 rounds are clearly the safest bets.
I like Zuttah too but he is no where near the impact Albert would have. Merling and Harvey are nice they just didn't excite me like Albert or DRC in the first. I was impressed with Ellis from VT and Thompson from Wake at DE , maybe in the 4th round.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I like Zuttah too but he is no where near the impact Albert would have. Merling and Harvey are nice they just didn't excite me like Albert or DRC in the first. I was impressed with Ellis from VT and Thompson from Wake at DE , maybe in the 4th round.
DGreene, I'd love to watch some Rachal and Scheuning highlights (I like them both for rounds 2-4). I'll email you and see if we can find sometime next week to get together.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #21
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Ellis was on Kiper's big board early in the offseason, now I don't know what he's projected as, but I'd bet 3rd round at the latest. He had a good combine. I don't know if Ellis is built to play 4-3 end, he might be more appealing as an olb to 3-4 teams.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #22
leisureworld
Camp Scrub

Albert has the raw tools to play tackle so if a team will draft him high it will be to do just that with the backup plan being guard.
leisureworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:08 AM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Guys forget this thread. Albert is now a top 5 pick according to Mel Kiper . (Don't worry Smootsmack someone will catch on.)

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 04-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Guys forget this thread. Albert is now a top 5 pick according to Mel Kiper . (Don't worry Smootsmack someone will catch on.)
Mel Kiper doesn't know his ear from his....

He had Albert and Talib going in the 21-25 range just last week. Now out of the blue he has them at 5 and 7 respectively.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Mel Kiper doesn't know his ear from his....

He had Albert and Talib going in the 21-25 range just last week. Now out of the blue he has them at 5 and 7 respectively.
Is his mock based on what he thinks WILL happen or what he thinks SHOULD happen?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Is his mock based on what he thinks WILL happen or what he thinks SHOULD happen?
Not sure. Here's the link: ESPN - Look for Parcells to draft lineman with No. 1 overall pick - NFL

He also has Malcolm Kelly going from the number 1 receiver in the draft to not even a 1st rounder anymore. ???

He said Brandon Albert has convinced scouts he will be a great tackle, not a guard, so apparently he is intending on switching positions. So Kiper thinks the Chiefs will use the 5th overall pick on a college guard transitioning to NFL tackle???

I don't know about Kiper...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Apparently Kiper isn't the only one anymore.

Found this on a comment in JLC's blog and I doubt that it's to far off, though I'll have to see for myself

"If Branden Albert is still there at #21, we grab him! He is getting rave reviews on every sports show I watch (and there are many). However, he will not be there...in fact, both Mike Mayock and Charles Davis (NFL Network) have now moved him up to their Top 5 picks!"

Man, and to think, at one point people here thought I was dumb for wanting to take him at 21.

- FRPLG
Old 04-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

I didn't think you were dumb. I am disappointed people have figured out how good he is. We have to remember that getting a stud at 21 is near impossible. We'll need to get lucky.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #29
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I didn't think you were dumb. I am disappointed people have figured out how good he is. We have to remember that getting a stud at 21 is near impossible. We'll need to get lucky.
Lol, thanks but I guess I wasn't specific enough. There were a few people that felt I was off my rocker and ironically some of them are posters that I really like, but thats neither here nor there.

However right now I'm on the trade down bandwagon, and I'm starting to think that if Merling falls through we would be able to pick up an extra second round pick as well as Jacksonville's 1st which would justify the Redskins selecting Campbell with their first pick, since many feel now that taking him at 21 is to early. And as much as I love Merling, the front office might feel like they can do more damage with an extra second round pick.

- FRPLG
Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #30
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Apparently Branden Albert is really making headways these days, to the point where people are posting actual film (not highlights) of the guy. With that said I've only watched the first few minutes and the guy is a monster when it comes to turning the corner on pulls and traps. However he seems to be standing around after to many plays instead of hitting someone. Anyway I'll have to finish watching but this is great, rarely do I get the chance to evaluate footage like this on a prospect

- FRPLG