Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I saw some of the ESPN guys hating on this pick. Did any of them see John Beck play? Or see Grossman throw passes a rookie would make? We needed to upgrade the position and I'm glad we got a guy that played big time college ball at a high level. Doesn't have the physical skills that RG3 does but he knows how to play QB. Cousins should fit in real well with the Shanahan's offense. I like this pick a lot.
That actually might have been a heck of a compliment to Cousins. The fact that they thought he was even remotely a threat to RG3 speaks to his ability and his potential.

Either way it'll be nice not having Doug Johnson or Curtis Painter starting if God forbid RG3 goes down. We have nothing to gain anymore from loosing seasons at least for the next two years.

I really think that this can turn into a second or third round pick maybe even a first in two or three years.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
I saw some of the ESPN guys hating on this pick. Did any of them see John Beck play? Or see Grossman throw passes a rookie would make? We needed to upgrade the position and I'm glad we got a guy that played big time college ball at a high level. Doesn't have the physical skills that RG3 does but he knows how to play QB. Cousins should fit in real well with the Shanahan's offense. I like this pick a lot.
Yes but Beck was 2nd string so he doesnt play into this scenario.RG3 will be 1 and Gross 2,we could have signed anybody to be 3.I dont like this pick,we got our QB we dont need another one unless you want to spend a 7th rounder on one.Unless RG3 plays lights out in preseason this will make a qb controversy,the media will play it up because thats what they do and it will steamroll,especially if Cousins gets in preseason and plays well.I see no good coming from this unless RG3 gets hurt in preseason.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
GusFrerotte

Quote:
The only negative here is that when RG3 struggles you know what's going to happen. People are going to be calling for Cousins.
Ala Shuler/Frerotte in '94. I was thinking that as well, but RG III will get a lot of help if he has some early struggles getting used to the pro level. Damn with these hogs the FO put in front of him and the nice little Wr corp we have with Garcon on board, he will fair better for sure than Shuler did. Cousins was brought in like Matty said for insurance. RG III is a smart guy and he made an average Baylor team bowl bound and a Big 12 contender after being a doormat forever. Shuler had good stats, but didn't make his team a real contender in a back then weak Pac 10.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I like it. Has some talent and could be a long-term backup. I get nervous about RG3's health (for no real reason, just worrying) and like having a competent backup.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Excellent pick.
We now have the best QB roster since Jurgensen/Kilmer.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
vallin21
The Starter

Drafting Cousins makes sense in 3 ways...

1) He'll make RG3 a better player just by him being on the roster; Cousins is an overachiever, who thrives on being the "underdog." Remember, Cousins beat out Nick Foles and made him transfer to Arizona.

2) Good insurance in case RG3 gets injured, plays poorly, or has an unforseen tragedy/issue; Some who oppose this move will say "this will ignite a QB controversy", which I disagree with... The only person in control of whether there is ever a controversy is RG3. If he plays well consistently there won't be calls for Cousins to play.

3) The potential to aquire a high draft pick for Cousins in 2-3 years; I hope I'm wrong but RG3 takes alot of big hits, and can hold onto the ball a slight second to long, leaving him vulnerable to taking a big hit, which makes me wonder if he can play all 16 games. The durability concerns aren't so much to do with him running, but that as mentioned, he'll hold onto the ball longer than he should.

Lastly, and this is pure speculation, I think Shanny drafted Cousins to give him an extra 1-2 years, in case RG3 (god forbid) doesn't work out, he'll still have Cousins to develop; and that selecting Cousins will save him from being fired if RG3 isn't the QB we think he is. My guess is the FO wanted to draft another potential starting QB in case RG3 (I hope not) isn't a franchise QB.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I feel meh about the Cousins pick. Don't misunderstand - I think a QB housecleaning is a good idea so I don't mind picking up another young QB.

To me Cousins is like Grossman Jr. - his accuracy is sometimes very erratic and his decision-making is often erratic, too. I don't see him developing into much of anything and I certainly don't see him as future trade bait of any real value.

I might have used the pick on someone else like Lindley or, more likely, have made sure to pick up someone like Kellen Moore as a UDFA.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #23
NYCSkin
Impact Rookie

I really don't like this pick.

Ernie Accorsi didn't give up the ranch to get Eli and then turn around and draft Luke McCown in the 4th round as some sort of hedge.

Cousins may be a decent player but Griffin is, strictly based on how much the Skins gave up for him, clearly THE guy that Shanahan wanted and should be afforded the chance to develop without another young drafted QB around. It's an inconsistent message to not only Griffin but to the team and the fans.

If Cousins is some sort of a Griffin injury hedge--well then Rex or some other veteran could have done that role. And we would have applied the pick towards a greater need.

If Shanahan really wanted another young Qb to develop--best to not waste a pick and get an undrafted free agent. That would have not only saved a pick but also not created any drama vis-a-vis Griffin.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Ernie Accorsi can eat the fuzzies outa my butt crack.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

The Kirk Cousins pick was in my opinion the second best pick next to the Griffin III pick. Most GMs had a first round grade on this kid and he should have been selected by the second round. He was certainly projected to be drafted before Nick Foles, but that wasn't the case only because the Eagles reached for Foles. But I am very delighted with the selection of Cousins. I don't understand how he fell to the fourth round.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

As good as Griffin is going to be you still have to remember that he is an injury risk
A Fan’s Look at Baylor’s Robert Griffin III’s Concussion - Yahoo! Sports

Until April 2015 the Redskins will have little to gain by loosing out and if your backup QB is Curtis Painter or Doug Johnson well needless to say you're screwed.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #27
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Yes but Beck was 2nd string so he doesnt play into this scenario.RG3 will be 1 and Gross 2,we could have signed anybody to be 3.I dont like this pick,we got our QB we dont need another one unless you want to spend a 7th rounder on one.Unless RG3 plays lights out in preseason this will make a qb controversy,the media will play it up because thats what they do and it will steamroll,especially if Cousins gets in preseason and plays well.I see no good coming from this unless RG3 gets hurt in preseason.
The media is already starting up the BS and I think it's unfortunate for RG3. But there's a possibility that RG3 doesn't pan out. Everyone wants him to but if he doesn't then what? You've got another guy in the mix.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Ala Shuler/Frerotte in '94. I was thinking that as well, but RG III will get a lot of help if he has some early struggles getting used to the pro level. Damn with these hogs the FO put in front of him and the nice little Wr corp we have with Garcon on board, he will fair better for sure than Shuler did. Cousins was brought in like Matty said for insurance. RG III is a smart guy and he made an average Baylor team bowl bound and a Big 12 contender after being a doormat forever. Shuler had good stats, but didn't make his team a real contender in a back then weak Pac 10.
Gus wasn't even on the radar when he was drafted out of Tulsa. He was a 7th rounder. Cousins played at a high level in a top conference. He's got a legit resume. Big difference. And fyi...Shuler played at Tenn.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #29
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
The media is already starting up the BS and I think it's unfortunate for RG3. But there's a possibility that RG3 doesn't pan out. Everyone wants him to but if he doesn't then what? You've got another guy in the mix.
Luckily RG3 and Cousins are extremely mature so it won't be much of an issue but it really is amazing the reaction we got. You almost wanted to ask "who died" when you saw the faces of the media pundits.

- FRPLG
Old 04-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #30
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The Kirk Cousins pick was in my opinion the second best pick next to the Griffin III pick. Most GMs had a first round grade on this kid and he should have been selected by the second round. He was certainly projected to be drafted before Nick Foles, but that wasn't the case only because the Eagles reached for Foles. But I am very delighted with the selection of Cousins. I don't understand how he fell to the fourth round.
That is quite obviously untrue. If he were a first or second round quarterback in the eyes of GM's, he would have been chosen sooner.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote