Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Danny Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Danny Smith

Not sure what to think of this guy. Special teams have been up and down all year. It seems the players know the rules very well. Mortons one foot in one foot out for ball on the 40. Marshall (I think) picking up a ball and running that got called back on some BS penelty. All of these in previous games.

Then there are games where we have horrible coverage. The Giants did a good job today. How do you guys feel about him? Think he's doing a good job? He's very inconsistant in my opinion, not sure what kind of grade to give him.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #2
jrocx69
Special Teams

i think he's doing fine on the defensive side of ST. the players themselves i need to see more self awareness in staying in their lanes, yet we do have two blocked punts this year. its the offensive side of ST we need a major improvement in. we always have nowhere to run.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Its a tough call. It seems like every time we mess up on one thing, the next week we fix it. There were alot of missed tackles today too. I dont think you fire the guy or antyhing, but they should defintley spend some extra time on it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

Taylor whiffed on the kick return for a TD, he needs to learn when to dial it down just a tad and play with more control. I see a lot of Arrington in him, always going for the knockout shot when he'd be better served in making the sure tackle at times.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
drew54
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Taylor whiffed on the kick return for a TD, he needs to learn when to dial it down just a tad and play with more control. I see a lot of Arrington in him, always going for the knockout shot when he'd be better served in making the sure tackle at times.

But you have to love that kind of emotion. Personally I feel these are rookie mistakes and as he matures and the unit gets more time together we will be a strong group next year.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I hear ya matty. I saw him freaking leap for that guy and just missed. I mean on kickoff, its all players. Theres no real playcalling on kickoff, just stay in your lanes and tackle, its that simple; so when they mess up most of the time, its on them and not the coach. Problems with punting or kick returns and things can be attributed to scheming, and then you can start to look at the coach.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

Seems to me the problems on special temas are personel related. The reason special teams don't get much time(and they really don't get much time for the Redskins either. The may get more attention than with other teams but it is not the much time) is that it is not rocket science. We're not talking about a bunch wildly different systems and approaches. Basically everyone does the same stuff. It comes down to who you have on your teams, How hard they play and some luck. The only thing the ST coach has control over is who is on the team(which he basically chooses from who ever the head coach will let him have) and how mentally prepared they are to hold their lanes. Seems to me they just aren't always focused. They are either 100% dialed in or they off in neverland. One other thing that is important is the kicking. Our punting coverage has been very good all year since Tupa has been pro bowl level. The kicking on the other hand has been weak with Hall either hurting or out and Kimrin in.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
BrudLee
Playmaker

The return TD was upsetting, because that's the play that (usually) breaks your back. This game was out of reach, and we were lucky. You absolutely make that tackle, period. Blocked punts are nice, but given the choice, I'd rather run one back and get my punt blocked than the other way around.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
cpayne5
Playmaker

Anyone think that that kickoff would have been better covered if the team wasn't ahead by so much? I think at a certain point, the ST and the defense must feel like they really don't have anything to do being up by so much and may become a little too content in just going through the motions.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:36 AM   #10
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
Anyone think that that kickoff would have been better covered if the team wasn't ahead by so much? I think at a certain point, the ST and the defense must feel like they really don't have anything to do being up by so much and may become a little too content in just going through the motions.
Their may have been a Special Teams lapse but, I gotta tell you, I was at the game and the defense was fired up practically till the last minute. You could tell they loved playing with a lead. The crowd was more responsive late in the game and the defense just fed off it. They were bumping chests and waving encouragement to the crowd with five minutes left in the game.

It was great!
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

You could tell it was a huge load off the shoulders of the players on the sidelines. It was nice to see them having some fun for a change.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
Their may have been a Special Teams lapse but, I gotta tell you, I was at the game and the defense was fired up practically till the last minute. You could tell they loved playing with a lead. The crowd was more responsive late in the game and the defense just fed off it. They were bumping chests and waving encouragement to the crowd with five minutes left in the game.

It was great!
I was there, too. I don't know how it looked or sounded on TV, but up until about 5 minutes left, that was the loudest 4-8 stadium in the NFL.