Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Congratulations Joe Gibbs.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Congratulations Joe Gibbs.

As many people know I've been quite critical of Joe Gibbs thus far. I will admit he called a great game today and I feel a team that was beat up on defense was something this offense needed to gain some confidence. He called a great game with balance and mixture of pass and run. Looks like he actually trusts Ramsey to go down field.

I really want to see how we play the Eagles, but certainly looking up. I'm impressed and hope we can do nearly this well every week!

Good job Joe Gibbs. Continue to prove me wrong!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-05-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

I agree the playcalling was a nice mix today, but I'm going to continue with my opinion that the execution is what really made things work today and made the playcalling look sharp. As a coach you can call a great game, but if the players don't execute it doesn't matter what you call.

Ramsey was very accurate and made great decisions, Portis had some great second effort runs and the WR's held on to the ball.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Nice shoutout, Daseal. But you shouldn't be surprised. Once the run game clicked, Gibbs could open his playbook. And we controlled the ball, something Brunnel couldn't do. Gibbs knows what he's doing. It just takes time for it all to come together. And look, next week, we'll probably regress some. The jints suck, and the iggles are the best team in the NFC. So let's keep it steady and keep fighting. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Matty - I feel Pittsburgh was more execution than play-calling. However before that I strongly disagree.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

I don't think we did anything radically different today.

We ran the ball and had a short, controlled passing game. That's what we've been trying to do all year, the difference is when your QB is 19/22, your backs combine for over 200 yards and the WR's catch the ball, all of a sudden the playcalling looks a heck of a lot better.

When you're executing, moving the chains and have the time of possession edge, it allows you to open things up a bit and get more creative. When your going 3 and out it's tough to dig deep in to the playbook when you can't even execute the basics.

Playcalling and execution go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

oh, and we played the Giants at home, and not the Steelers in Pittsburgh, or Philly in Philly. It helps.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #7
GoSkins!
The Starter

What felt really good about this game was the fact that we scored almost all of our points from long, sustained drives. A vintage Gibbs team is one that lines up and, even though the other team knows what is coming, can't stop it. Thats what Gibbs and the Skins did today. They just said: If you give us three downs, we can get 10 yards all day long. And they did!

Great game all around. It must make the Skins defense fell good to see the offense finally play 4 quarters!
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

My biggest fear is we'll either run too much or throw too much. There were games where granted Portis was playing great ball, but we needed to put the safeties out some. I feel we started off opening up the pass with the run, but after the half we opened up the run with our pass. Something we've needed.

Matty, Execution is important. However, if you're not getting plays that work onto the field then many are dead from the get-go. Either way, it was a great game today and I hope he can keep it up. Obviously we won't score like this on better teams, but if we can control the ball and keep it moving some our defense can contain anyone.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #9
LongTimeSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

We ran the ball and had a short, controlled passing game. That's what we've been trying to do all year, the difference is when your QB is 19/22, your backs combine for over 200 yards and the WR's catch the ball, all of a sudden the playcalling looks a heck of a lot better.

When you're executing, moving the chains and have the time of possession edge, it allows you to open things up a bit and get more creative. When your going 3 and out it's tough to dig deep in to the playbook when you can't even execute the basics.

Playcalling and execution go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Just my 2 cents.
Spot on assessment, MattyK. My sentiments exactly. And to further support my ranting from earlier today and yesterday, how many times was Ramsey sacked today and how many ground yds did our offense generate? The O-Line performed the best that I've ever seen them all year and I think that made all the difference in the world to our offense.
LongTimeSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 PM   #10
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree more with Dasel (suprise, suprise). I think against Pittsburgh it was more execution than playcalling. However, against Philedalphia and Cincy specifically, I thought the playcalling was very suspect. I just think today we had a more balanced attack, and the way we set up every single play we ran, was very impressive. The way everyone was biting on Ramsey's fakes were a testiment to the playcalling. Although Mattys statment of Execution and Playcaling go hand in hand, is absolutley correct as well. The Eagles game we did have good execution, but just poor calling (IMO), the Steelers game we had good play calling, poor execution(IMO). Today, it was friggin beautiful. Everything went together. It was great to watch!!
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

Just my 2 cents.

seriously, I totally agree with what Matty is saying.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #12
Winskins
Special Teams

In terms of playcalling there were a lot of 3 WR sets as well as a couple of 4 receiver (including a trips left) formations. I liked everything about the offense today and I think they just came as a group and stepped it up. That's the Redskins I remember!
HTTR
Old 12-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #13
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

My biggest fear is we'll either run too much or throw too much. There were games where granted Portis was playing great ball, but we needed to put the safeties out some. I feel we started off opening up the pass with the run, but after the half we opened up the run with our pass. Something we've needed.

Matty, Execution is important. However, if you're not getting plays that work onto the field then many are dead from the get-go. Either way, it was a great game today and I hope he can keep it up. Obviously we won't score like this on better teams, but if we can control the ball and keep it moving some our defense can contain anyone.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:08 PM   #14
LadyT
Special Teams

It was a combo of great play-calling, great execution, determination, sure-handedness, and just plain old pride that made the difference. I'm not really sure what counted the most. I'm just so glad that this offense showed that it can move, hold onto the ball for long drives and SCORE!!!

It sure was fun to watch this game. I can't wait until next week. This game will give the Skins some much-needed confidence. Couple that with the Eagles possibly looking past us and we may come away with a win.

Hats off to Gibbs, Portis, Ramsey, the O-Line, Coles, the entire defense (as usual), Hall and Tupa. This looked like the Skins of days gone by. Trying not to read too much into this, but very happy nonetheless. I was most pleased with Ramsey's play because it's critical to our future that he develop his confidence and game-sense. Today was the best I've seen him play as a Skin.
LadyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

I said it earlier in the game thread that we really have to give Ramsey some credit here, he's turned himself from a gunslinger always looking downfield for the big play, to a game manager who is checking down, making the smart and accurate throw, and keeping the chains moving. He's become a different QB overnight.

It's really a testament to his intelligence and determination. He's worked hard to get to this point, and considering how bad he looked in the preseason it's even more remarkable.

Now I know it was against a struggling team and hey, that's how you expect to perform against a team like that. It was still encouraging to see him playing so well for 4 quarters.