Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Philly's plan will be to stop the run

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #1
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Philly's plan will be to stop the run

Portis over 100 yrds in a game we win period. So we all now the eagles defensive plan will be to stop the run. So my question to the forum is; How do we stop them from stopping portis.

My answer relies on our line stopping one man, former Redskin J.Trotter, since he has been on the field for them run yardage has gone down tremendously. How was he stopped when he was with us and how can we do the same?

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

just like last year teams exposed him by throwing to the TE after they pretended like they are pass blocking they go out into pass routes..he always sells out to the run thats the only way he stops it or use full backs..
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

I think we have to stick with the run, even if it doesn't work. Once we are down 14 we shouldn't start panicking and giving up on the run just to get back in the game like we usually do. Portis is an explosive back and when he gets in the open field can make people miss and use his speed to get away. I think it takes only one or two good runs from portis to get the ball rolling and that will open up the pass game because the Eagle's linebackers aren't the greatest at covering, especially simminoue? who is only in there to stop the run.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
jamf
Pro Bowl

he's a middle linebacker, he isnt going to cover the TE. trotter didnt play well for us because he had to attack a gap. im philly, he just waits for the play to develop then gets there. the only way to block him is to get cooley to go through the line and put a body on him.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
saden1
MVP

From my many years experience playing football video game I have to tell you that you really have to be accurate to throw passes to a tight end. We have no accuracy in our QBs so don't expect too many passes to the tight ends.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
From my many years experience playing football video game I have to tell you that you really have to be accurate to throw passes to a tight end. We have no accuracy in our QBs so don't expect too many passes to the tight ends.

Nothing wrong with Ramsey's accuracy, we'll be fine.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat
Nothing wrong with Ramsey's accuracy, we'll be fine.
You are joking right? Ramsey is not an accurate QB by any standard.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:50 PM   #8
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I think if our offensive line can block as well as they did this past week, we should get some good holes for the running backs. The Eagles are supposed to not be THAT great against the run, but believe me, great teams find a way to shut you down when they have things going for them in the right direction. I believe we're going to have to knock their defensive line back as much as possible. If we can also continue to execute as well as we did against the Giants, we can continue to mix things up and keep the Eagles guessing.
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
redsk1
The Starter

Against the Eagles, I think we are going to HAVE to get some people in open spaces on some throws. They are going to be keying on our run, until we do this. We need to get CP open on some passes 10-15 yards down the field so he can run. Then we can open up things running the football.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Quote:
He was what, 19 of 22 last week?

He also seems to have a very nice connection going with Cooley.

Not sure what your video game experience has to do with actual football.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:02 PM   #11
Winskins
Special Teams

Trotter is over-aggressive and a good way to deal with that is running counters. The counters can also slow down his aggressiveness and then sweeps and tosses can be run also.

If our O-line played like they played last game then running up the middle shouldn't be too much of a problem either.

As far as beating the blitz is concerned, I think our screens and fake-screens (faked to one side and thrown to the other) have been working great. Also, the best way to beat the blitz is with a good running game just like Ramsey said. I think that if they do try to blitz and put too much into stopping the run the Skins could actually have a big day going through the air.

It's all coming together. This should be a very good game. HTTR
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM   #12
illdefined
Playmaker

no, we gotta stay true to RUN first to open up the PASS. it took us this long to (re)find our offensive identity, no way can we go back. like the thread starter said, Portis runs, we win.

i say outside runs. i don't think any defense in the NFC east has seen as fast and athletic a back as Portis. they are used to runs up the middle, which is where Gibbs sent Portis in the first game, and where Trotter and Philly stopped him. Portis has amazing anklebreaking ability, and can react alot faster than older and kneeproblem ridden linebackers can.

if they do send him in the middle, let it be more of those counters and misdirection plays where Portis has everyone going one side then suddenly he's going the opposite. once they catch on to that, he can just burn off in one direction while the defense freezes waiting for him to cut back. like that one backdoor play last game.

this is exactly why Portis is such a weapon. he's so fast and has such good cutting ability, he can do his own playaction fakes on RUNS.
illdefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #13
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:

Your joking right? Ramsey went 19 for 22 last game. How much more accurate does he have to be?

Also, most of those passes went to the TE, including 2 touchdown passes (Royal and Cooley).

And forget about what you can do in a video game, this is the NFL buddy. Not Madden or ESPN2k5
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:

You're not actually serious are you? On both accounts of the video game experience and the accuracy of our QB's? Brunell no, but Ramsey has been just as accurate as anybody can be. Two incomplete passes....yeah that sucks! :confused:
skinsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:10 PM   #15
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

The whole reason why Trotter is doing so well in Philly is because he's a perfect fit for their scheme. That's why we signed him. Then he came here and didn't live up to all the hype he brought. And let's not forget how much we paid him. :frusty:

Philly has had a hard time stopping the run all year. With our O-line playing much better now, I think we'll have some success on the ground.

Basically we have to play like we did last week except maybe about 10 times better. Run the ball, protect the QB, and take some shots downfield.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote