Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Last year's team

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Last year's team

I had a discussion with a fellow Redskin fan about the 3-13 and 4-12 records in consecutive seasons. The fellow Redskin fan said that woulda coulda shoulda stuff. 3-13 could have easily been 9-7 or 8-8 in 2013 and 4-12 could have been 5-11 or 7-9 in 2014. HOF head coach Bill Parcells once said that a team is what it's record indicates but a lot of people don't necessarily agree with that. Looking at last year's games, were there any games that the Redskins lost that they should have won? Were they truly a 4-12 team or a potentially 8-8 team that concluded the season at 4-12? Outside of the first Philly game and maybe the second NYG game, were there any other games that the team was in a strong position to win that they ended up losing?

Advertisements
Old 06-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Meks
Pro Bowl

Re: Last year's team

Plenty in my honest opinion. Including Seattle in primetime last season. That's one I can think of for sure.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I had a discussion with a fellow Redskin fan about the 3-13 and 4-12 records in consecutive seasons. The fellow Redskin fan said that woulda coulda shoulda stuff. 3-13 could have easily been 9-7 or 8-8 in 2013 and 4-12 could have been 5-11 or 7-9 in 2014. HOF head coach Bill Parcells once said that a team is what it's record indicates but a lot of people don't necessarily agree with that. Looking at last year's games, were there any games that the Redskins lost that they should have won? Were they truly a 4-12 team or a potentially 8-8 team that concluded the season at 4-12? Outside of the first Philly game and maybe the second NYG game, were there any other games that the team was in a strong position to win that they ended up losing?
There might have been a few games here and there we could have won and didn't, but the flipside is true as well. It may not even out exactly, but in the end, if you're a good team you'll have a good record.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 AM   #4
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Last year was the most depressing, soul crushing year I have ever had as a Skins' fan. I have wiped it from my memory.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Last year was the most depressing, soul crushing year I have ever had as a Skins' fan. I have wiped it from my memory.

The last two years have wiped me out as a fan. Hoping to at least see some progress this year of a team being built the right way and headed towards sustained success.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

For me it's been the last 2 years. Honestly the only game I remember winning last year was the first Cowboys game. I remember getting blown out a few times too but other than that I don't care to revisit those memories.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

To me the zorn era was the bleakest...but eff last year. McC is here and I sense a new energy around the team. Still hoping one of the young qb takes the next step this year.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
calia
Playmaker

Zorn v. Spurrier v. Shanny year 4. Axis of misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Zorn v. Spurrier v. Shanny year 4. Axis of misery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snyder and folks in the front office the common theme

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
53Fan
Franchise Player

I remember being sky high Griffs first year. I thought we had found a Franchise QB for at least the next ten years. The last two years are buried in the past as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately I think we have a GM that can build a team the way we did in the days of glory. Tough hardnosed FOOTBALL PLAYERS. My spirit has come back to life. All I know is our record the last two years and it doesn't lie. Simply put...we SUCKED.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Coff
Impact Rookie

There's a better argument to be made that last year's team won more games than it should have. Look, if you go 4-12, you should lose three times as many close games as you win. The Skins went 3-3 in close games, 1-9 in games that weren't close. Skins won one game by two points, one game by three points, and another game in overtime. All of those games could have easily been lost, more so than the three close games they lost could have been won. In other words, the Skins were closer to a 1-15 team than a 7-9 team, that's for sure. I'd say 4-12 is a pretty good indication of the team we were last year; but perhaps 3-13 would have been a bit more illustrative of who we were.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I think last year the internal bickering, the drama, and the general ineptitude at all levels (but particularly in the FO), left me feeling that there really was no plan, Bruce Allen had less than zero football acumen, and that there was just no end to the losing. By the end of the season, and for the first time EVER, I just didn't care if they won our lost. The long hard road of losing wore me out.

Scotty McC has given me hope that there is an actual plan in place and that it was put there by someone who actually knows how to build a winner.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
...Looking at last year's games, were there any games that the Redskins lost that they should have won?Were they truly a 4-12 team or a potentially 8-8 team that concluded the season at 4-12?
Nah, I believe your previous Parcell's quote...~"you are what you record says you are". I think any team can play the coulda/woulda/shoulda game. But the reality is the end result either by fault of players, coaching or front office.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Last year was the epitome of the quote "I drink to forget....I just can't remember what." I'm cautiously optimistic about this season, but am done with my kool aid, and have taken off my rose colored glasses. Just hoping for the best.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Our team was so lacking in areas that are so basic and critically important like defense and offensive line that leads me to answer your question with another question: what does it matter how many more wins we could of won?
Our needs were so glaring in the important areas that it would have been a disservice to IMO win more games and lose position in the draft. We were not going anywhere. If we had gone 8-8 and not been able to draft Schreff I would be pissed. Is 8-8 really such a great thing? No.
Now if you want talk about our record and how we had more talent than our record indicates, then yes, that is true. We were so weak in important basic areas that made our record skewed when looking at it. We are way better then most of the weaklings we were drafting near that had comparable records. We are closer to a winning team then a Jacksonville or tampa.

Last edited by Defensewins; 06-09-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote