Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Return of the Running Game?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
davy
Impact Rookie

Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Well if your figures are correct the ratio last year was more like 66/34 so, yes I would expect it to be nearer 60/40 this year.

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #32
SkinItup
Special Teams

57/43 pass to run
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #33
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Well if your figures are correct the ratio last year was more like 66/34 so, yes I would expect it to be nearer 60/40 this year.
My bad on that, 300 rushing attempts should be 400 that why there was 60/40 ratio last year.
Didn't notice til you said, thank you for your correction.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #34
firstdown
Living Legend

I voted yea but last year we passed alot with a bad QB so now that we have a good QB with a great arm I could see it staying about the same.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #35
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Unless we count RG3 option/scrambling as runs, why wouldn't we try to pass more?

Sure based on the OTA info (thank you warpath!), the Shannys have more keeper plays in mind, but if RG3 works out, why have him hand the ball off more than Rex did last season?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #36
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

If the Redskins can run the ball 25-35 times a game and throw 30 attempts a game, then that would be well balanced. Shanahan is the type of head coach that would open up airing it out and go up by 14 or 17 points and then run the ball for the remainder of the game if the defense is shutting down the opposing offense.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #37
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
If the Redskins can run the ball 25-35 times a game and throw 30 attempts a game, then that would be well balanced. Shanahan is the type of head coach that would open up airing it out and go up by 14 or 17 points and then run the ball for the remainder of the game if the defense is shutting down the opposing offense.
So, essentially what you're asking for is the Redskins to be a really good team in 2012?

I share your hopeful sentiment.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #38
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
So, essentially what you're asking for is the Redskins to be a really good team in 2012?

I share your hopeful sentiment.
The Redskins haven't had a winning season since '07. I'm optimistic every year. The defense will come to play. It's the offense that's in question. If Robert Griffin III is the answer at quarterback, and if our wide receivers can make plays, then combined with even an average running game the Redskins should be able to put up points and win games.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
The Redskins haven't had a winning season since '07. I'm optimistic every year. The defense will come to play. It's the offense that's in question. If Robert Griffin III is the answer at quarterback, and if our wide receivers can make plays, then combined with even an average running game the Redskins should be able to put up points and win games.
To be fair though, the Redskins should have been able to put up points and win games every year. Well, except last year when they built an awful team. But: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012(?). Each one of those teams had plenty of offensive talent in order to succeed.

We've had three different offensive coordinators over that time (four if you count Sherm Lewis), but all were/are guilty of favoring the system that had gotten them the job here instead of using more modernized schemes that teams attack opponents with week to week. And it sure seems to me like the Redskins have always been two or three years behind the offensive times. At least since we hired Al Saunders in 2006, that is.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #40
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
To be fair though, the Redskins should have been able to put up points and win games every year. Well, except last year when they built an awful team. But: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012(?). Each one of those teams had plenty of offensive talent in order to succeed.

We've had three different offensive coordinators over that time (four if you count Sherm Lewis), but all were/are guilty of favoring the system that had gotten them the job here instead of using more modernized schemes that teams attack opponents with week to week. And it sure seems to me like the Redskins have always been two or three years behind the offensive times. At least since we hired Al Saunders in 2006, that is.
Under Zorn the Redskins were a terrible team. How do you start off 6-2 in 2008 and finish 8-8? In 2009 Redskins were worse than Richie Pettibon's 1993 squad although both of those teams finished with a 4-12 record. Anyways, in the years since Gibbs left and Shanahan took over, the Redskins were a dismal looking team to watch. They were not an explosive team at all.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #41
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
In order for the offense to be more balanced in 2012 than it was in 2011, the Redskins have to improve in the running game. Last season, the Redskins were 25th in the NFL in rushing and 14th in passing. That's not balanced at all. If Helu Jr. and Royster can improve in the ground game, then there's a chance the Redskins can be a more balanced offensive team.
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts above.

I have a couple focused questions for you:

Do you expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?

Do you really think Kyle wants to run the ball more?
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Under Zorn the Redskins were a terrible team. How do you start off 6-2 in 2008 and finish 8-8? In 2009 Redskins were worse than Richie Pettibon's 1993 squad although both of those teams finished with a 4-12 record. Anyways, in the years since Gibbs left and Shanahan took over, the Redskins were a dismal looking team to watch. They were not an explosive team at all.
Zorn's first half success was likely due to:

1) He did run things differently than any other NFL coach. This was ultimately his downfall, but at first, opponents had to figure out what the heck he was trying to do on the field

2) At first, he brought motivation and fun to the team in practice and on gameday. Remember the "hip hip hoorays". The players in interviews admitted it was corny and had no idea why they were doing it, but they were having fun and believed in him...while they were winning. Once the losses started coming, the team thought he was not a serious coach and the kid-like "fun" was no longer cutting it...so he lost the locker room, especially a team leader in Portis.

I'll always remember him for chucking yoga balls at the QBs in practice, the slip-n-slide drills and the swinging gate. The best part was he called a time-out after showing the formation, came out of the timeout and still ran it! Since he was a lame duck coach who had already been stripped of his power and dignity, I really think that was just a big middle finger to the organization and Dan Snyder...on Primetime National TV!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Zorn's first half success was likely due to:

1) He did run things differently than any other NFL coach. This was ultimately his downfall, but at first, opponents had to figure out what the heck he was trying to do on the field

2) At first, he brought motivation and fun to the team in practice and on gameday. Remember the "hip hip hoorays". The players in interviews admitted it was corny and had no idea why they were doing it, but they were having fun and believed in him...while they were winning. Once the losses started coming, the team thought he was not a serious coach and the kid-like "fun" was no longer cutting it...so he lost the locker room, especially a team leader in Portis.

I'll always remember him for chucking yoga balls at the QBs in practice, the slip-n-slide drills and the swinging gate. The best part was he called a time-out after showing the formation, came out of the timeout and still ran it! Since he was a lame duck coach who had already been stripped of his power and dignity, I really think that was just a big middle finger to the organization and Dan Snyder...on Primetime National TV!
I don't think he was smart enough for it to intentionally be a middle finger to the organization. And what does that do anyway? 'Ha! I screwed you by making myself look stupid. Take that!' I think that play only proves that he is 2 points higher than legally retarded.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #44
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I don't think he was dumb enough to show his cards and run it after a timeout though. He's not a dumb man, he was a successful NFL QB, which takes a brain. He's also a very good QB coach...but as a HC was in over his head.

I excuse the marroon and yellow and black comment as him spending too much time in Seattle...that place is REALLY OUT THERE and I'm not talking just geographically. I work with someone from Seattle too.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
mbedner3420
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I don't think he was dumb enough to show his cards and run it after a timeout though. He's not a dumb man, he was a successful NFL QB, which takes a brain. He's also a very good QB coach...but as a HC was in over his head.

I excuse the marroon and yellow and black comment as him spending too much time in Seattle...that place is REALLY OUT THERE and I'm not talking just geographically. I work with someone from Seattle too.
What would he gain from showing the formation? I just don't see how that would 'shove it in the organization's face' so to speak.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote