1st Presidential Debate Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #46
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: 1st Presidential Debate Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I think Biden held his composure and tried to address the people and stick to the issues for the most part. I mean when ya got i guy talking over you and barking in ur ear it is hard to ignore it for that long.
Biden was having trouble stringing together coherent responses. Sometimes it seemed like he would remember a talking point he forgot to mention then try to interject it when he was already seguing into a new topic or train of thought.

Trump gifted Biden by interrupting him. I dont think Biden could talk persuasively for more than 30 seconds and was having trouble with recall. If trump had let Biden talk, I imagine there would have been awkward silences and moments.

Trump has been on the bully pulpit for 4 years now so hes very comfortable just yammering on and on.

Biden was not comfortable up there but I imagien this helps him go into the next one more relaxed.

I only saw the first 30 mins or so. I was getting nothing from the "debate".

Did Trump let Biden talk uninterrupted in the second half?

Advertisements
Old 09-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #47
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Biden was having trouble stringing together coherent responses. Sometimes it seemed like he would remember a talking point he forgot to mention then try to interject it when he was already seguing into a new topic or train of thought.

Trump gifted Biden by interrupting him. I dont think Biden could talk persuasively for more than 30 seconds and was having trouble with recall. If trump had let Biden talk, I imagine there would have been awkward silences and moments.

Trump has been on the bully pulpit for 4 years now so hes very comfortable just yammering on and on.

Biden was not comfortable up there but I imagien this helps him go into the next one more relaxed.

I only saw the first 30 mins or so. I was getting nothing from the "debate".

Did Trump let Biden talk uninterrupted in the second half?

I disagree. I think Trump rattled him by interrupting. Do i see this as a weakness? Not really. I see it as a ploy by Trump to not deal with the issues because he has no plan or valid response. To answer your question. No. It got worse.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #48
SunnySide
Playmaker

"got worse" .. holy shit thank goodness I bailed.

2012 Biden was much stronger imo.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #49
MTK
\m/

The fact that Trump wouldn't denounce white supremacy groups should lose him the election right there. I found that appalling.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #50
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
"got worse" .. holy shit thank goodness I bailed.

2012 Biden was much stronger imo.

Debates are tough enough without some racist douche having a meltdown next to you. Do you think we were all shocked in that moment and Joe wasn’t?. I think Biden was trying to remain calm amidst the barking baby in his ear which was is what led to the few missteps. Plus since the right has no real conspiracy theories to go on with Biden except some nepotism which is laughable coming from the trump crime family they went in with the “he is incoherent rhetoric “ and so every time the guy even stumbles for a second it is amplified.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #51
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So what exactly do you think he means when he said this, "Proud boys stand back and stand by?"

You're just pissed because trump came off looking every bit the orange faced clown we all know he is.

Look at all my posts above this one. I have no problem criticizing Trump, but you're unreasonable. You can't have an honest conversation because of your acute TDS.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #52
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
[/B]

Look at all my posts above this one. I have no problem criticizing Trump, but you're unreasonable. You can't have an honest conversation because of your acute TDS.

Some would say Trump has done more than enough wrong (where to even begin) to warrant extreme criticism.
Always comes back to this. Is it a right vs left thing? A dem vs republican thing? A policy thing? Nah. I doubt G one or any other dem ever had a problem with any other republican to this extent. And for damn good reason. He is threatening our democracy in plain sight man. He is inciting racial divide. He is lying every day about his taxes, and a global pandemic. He makes fun of handicapped people. Literally that is the tip of the iceberg with this clown. I mean it isn’t maybe anymore....
Old 09-30-2020, 11:18 AM   #53
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Some would say Trump has done more than enough wrong (where to even begin) to warrant extreme criticism.
Blaming Trump 100% for leftist groups such as Antifa burning down streets and rioting is disingenuous. It's just not reasonable. There is a difference between criticism and putting your fingers in your ears and yelling at Trump clouds.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:21 AM   #54
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I expect to hear how nonsensical or trivial those things are from the usual suspects because they have already been normalized.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #55
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

If I was a debate coach, Trump would have done the 100% exact opposite of what I would have said to do. He is incapable of being quiet.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #56
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Debates are tough enough without some racist douche having a meltdown next to you. Do you think we were all shocked in that moment and Joe wasn’t?. I think Biden was trying to remain calm amidst the barking baby in his ear which was is what led to the few missteps. Plus since the right has no real conspiracy theories to go on with Biden except some nepotism which is laughable coming from the trump crime family they went in with the “he is incoherent rhetoric “ and so every time the guy even stumbles for a second it is amplified.
If youve been in the Senate and VP for 2 successful campaigns .. debating should not be tough in terms of:

- pacing yourself

- book ending your comments/main points,

- laying out short road maps for the listeners on where you are going ("With COVID, I would have done 2 things differently, first I would have ..." . Biden did try to do this but never got past 1

- Speaking directly to the viewers at home, which Biden did a bit

- most importantly, when Biden had his 2 mins, he should have started off with something like 'I hope I can talk to you the American people and families at home watching and not be interrupted because I want to tell you who I am and what I hope to achieve for all Americans .. blah blah blah"

- next 2 mins (after Trump keeps interrupting you) ... start with 'Amercians back home, this is not how a Presidential debate for the United States of America should be done. We must hold ourselves to maintaining the respect, civility and honor that our country has shown at home and abroad. This farce of a debate shown by my opponent is the same farce that he has been perpetrating on the office of the POTUS and our country for the last 4 long painful years"

Dont try to start with laying out your platform in response to the question (trump will never let you get 2 sentences in), paint Trump in a box as an interupter first, then try to get to platform talk. If Trump interupts after that ... he is proving your point. I think even trump would get it after a while.

-------------------

Plaintiff atty speaking the jury in closing:

"ladies and gentlemen of the jury, thank you for your time and service with my client's case. We trust you to make the right decision and have tried to present you with all the facts and evidence we could so you could make a full and fair determination. We trust that you, as a jury and collection of intelligent and fair people, can decide what evidence is important.

The defense has tried to keep certain information from you. By my count, the defense attorney has objected 37 times in this case."

Defense atty:

"OBJECTION!" as he jumps to his feet, realizing his error the second the word left his mouth.

(to be fair, jurors are instructed to not take anything from whether an atty objects in a case ... so while his objection is a fair one, the damage is done)
Old 09-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Most of all last night proved Trump is just a really, really, really shitty human being. But we already knew that. He’s not a leader or an example anyone would want their kids to look up to. So how is this vote even a question? He’s the worst of all of us.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #58
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Blaming Trump 100% for leftist groups such as Antifa burning down streets and rioting is disingenuous. It's just not reasonable. There is a difference between criticism and putting your fingers in your ears and yelling at Trump clouds.

Lol. Few bad apples involved with protests just like a few bad apples involved in the police force. Difference SD is that Trumps rhetoric is too blame. It started in Charlotte with fine people on both sides and has continued right up until last night with telling the actual terrorists like the whatever boys to stand pat. Biden on the other hand has never once condoned riots or violence of any kind. Not once.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #59
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Lol. Few bad apples involved with protests just like a few bad apples involved in the police force. Difference SD is that Trumps rhetoric is too blame. It started in Charlotte with fine people on both sides and has continued right up until last night with telling the actual terrorists like the whatever boys to stand pat. Biden on the other hand has never once condoned riots or violence of any kind. Not once.
I don't know who the proud boys are, and I'm glad for that, but that is the worst name ever for a group. WTF?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #60
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Most of all last night proved Trump is just a really, really, really shitty human being. But we already knew that. He’s not a leader or an example anyone would want their kids to look up to. So how is this vote even a question? He’s the worst of all of us.
He is not a leader. Like if he was the QB at least half the team would hate him. And the things he messes up are so controllable. Like shutting the fuck up and denouncing racism as examples, those are both easy as pie. Takes no effort.