Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Dallas Post-Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who gets your game ball for the Skins 20-17 win over Dallas?
Peterson 18 40.91%
Kerrigan 14 31.82%
Swearinger 4 9.09%
Allen 5 11.36%
other 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #91
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Dallas Post-Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
No but I would like to, post it if you find it! I think the hit on Dak if you look close is either his mouth piece flying out, his ear pad or the refs bean bag. I'll go with mouth piece or ear pad lol.
It’s on Keim’s Twitter feed

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #92
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Smith didn't play very good (under statement) but we beat Dallas for the first time in 5 games maybe more.
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #93
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

AP, and the entire defense, and the oline balled out.
Great feeling beating Dallas...
That being said...I'm ready to score a 2nd hald offensive touchdown. If I'm correct, it would be our first of the year. We can put it on gruden, we can put it on lack of receiver, we can put it on Smith. It's probably a little bit of everything....but if we dont start scoring points in the later quarters....we wont always win these games. We outplayed Dallas all day, but it all still comes down to some bullshit penalty and a nervous kicker.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #94
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I still see no love for Bibbs, he scored the TD and had another key play.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #95
MTK
\m/

Elliott had 33 yards on 15 carries, that’s pretty filthy by our D
Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #96
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Here you go, destruction!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_keim...729620480?s=12

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #97
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
In 2 weeks between McCaffrey and Elliot, a whopping 54 yards combined.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #98
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Is it just me or does the fact we don't score in the 3rd qtr reflect how poorly Gruden makes adjustment at half time. I remember the days Gibbs would come out in the 3rd qtr an ball.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #99
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We finally have a great DL in DC and they are all young
Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #100
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Keim’s observations:

Thoughts and observations after the Redskins 20-17 win over the Cowboys:

1. The Redskins have become the team I sort of expected, built on a good defense and running the ball. Their defense isn’t perfect, but in the last two games they’ve held running backs Christian McCaffrey and Ezekiel Elliott to a combined 54 yards rushing. Who saw that coming? And it’s not as if the New Orleans Saints hurt them on the ground with Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram; they had a combined 77 yards on 22 carries. Of course they had many other issues in that game.

2. But, the point is, they’re playing well vs. the run something they haven’t done in a long time. Yes, it starts up front with Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen and Matt Ioannidis. Each of them provided examples Sunday of why Redskins fans should feel good about the defense’s foundation. When teams have had success vs. Dallas’ run game (Houston), it’s because they received good penetration or weren’t moved back. Jacksonville was; Jacksonville struggled. The Redskins were not moved back and did get penetration.

3. Ryan Kerrigan got off a tight end block in a nickel package to tackle Elliott for a short gain. Another time the line simply clogged lanes and, with safety D.J. Swearinger in the box he and linebacker Zach Brown were clean to make a stop. Another time Pernell McPhee’s strength made a difference. He held a double team long enough for Brown to stop Elliott for a one-yard loss. Sometimes they used three safeties in a base defense to get another run defender on the field. But even slot corner Fabian Moreau helped at times to either turn the play inside or get in on a tackle. But it starts up front with the linemen. Look at Kerrigan’s sack; because of the action of the play, three linemen go at Payne – and a lane is created for Kerrigan. On the play before, Allen drew a hold to wipe out a first down. They’re good.

4. Swearinger: “As a defense we want our identity to be stopping the run and when we play man to man in the back end we have to lock up. As a defense I wouldn’t want any other formula. That’s the blueprint for us. We’ve got talent in the front and we got talent in the back. We have to keep building and keep getting trust in each other. We do that and we’ll be hard to beat moving forward.”

5. On the other side, Washington must run the ball well to win and once again the Redskins did with Peterson. It’s hard to overstate what he’s meant since coming to the Redskins. It’s in the meeting rooms and his interactions with the other backs. They were a tight group before he arrived and they were a little concerned how big time he might act. But he’ll ask guys like Samaje Perine what he might have seen on one of his runs. That goes a long way.
But on the field Peterson has provided an attitude for the offense. He runs hard and powerful and you saw that again Sunday. Here’s what Trent Williams told me after the game: “It gets everybody going. It boosts the morale of the team. When he came you heard all the whispers saying, ‘oh, maybe he’s too old.’ Michael Irvin said it. Cris Carter said he’d be just like he was. We heard all the whispers. I knew he was going to come out and quiet all that, but to see him do it, it’s a great feeling…We’ve grown to expect it. Anytime he touches the ball if you can get him to the second level it’s always going to be a show. He’s always going to make someone miss or run someone over.” It’s the first time I’ve seen the Redskins have that attitude on offense in a few years. I’ll have more on his impact on the other running backs in a story on ESPN.com Tuesday. He’s been the most impactful newcomer in the division and didn’t join Washington until mid-August. Saquon Barkley is flashier at this point; the Giants aren’t having success because of him. The Redskins are winning in part because of Peterson.

6. They need that sort of help from Peterson because the passing game is too inconsistent. They’ve become the opposite of what they have been. In the past I’d say the run game, at some point, has to help if they want to make the playoffs. Now it’s about the passing game needing to help if they want to stay in this until the end. Can the Redskins win if the run game stumbles? They haven’t yet so that’s all we can go on. But it’s why my expectations for them were downgraded when Derrius Guice was hurt. I anticipated early struggles, because there was no rhythm developed with all the players in and out and a new quarterback. Alex Smith had some nice passes Sunday, but also missed some. His penchant for not turning the ball over works with the defense/run game formula. Indeed, Washington is plus-six in the turnover margin in its four wins. In the last two games, both of which came down to the final seconds, they haven’t turned it over while causing five.

7. I will say, sometimes it’s hard to know what a quarterback is reading on a play. For example, in last week’s win over Carolina we saw Josh Doctson win on a double move and saw Smith pump fake his way then quickly look off and work to the other side. Thing is, that’s exactly what he was supposed to do on the play; it was similar to a touchdown pass to Vernon Davis earlier in the game. Doctson just happened to win; that’s one you file away. Still, more is needed; for a second straight week I didn't like what happened at the end of the half when points were possible (they weren't going to kick a long field goal into that wind). They can't give away chances for points like that. But for now as long as Peterson is healthy and the blocking is good they can be in every game with the remaining teams on their schedule.

8. I loved the play design on the Kapri Bibbs screen pass for a touchdown. You have to be creative vs. those linebackers because of their speed if you want to hit something in the screen game. On this play, the faked the end around to freeze the backside and then used a play-action fake to Bibbs. Smith then looked to his left and threw back to Bibbs. And then Brandon Scherff showed his mobility and athleticism by lunging at the one defender who could have stopped Bibbs. Just a nice play to get free.

9. I thought a lot of the run game designs were helpful, as they’ve been in other games. It also helped that Peterson was more patient running out of the gun. He had a nine-yard run in the first half that showed his patience. Early in the year he ran too fast out of this look; but in the last two weeks he’s gained a combined 119 yards on 20 carries out of the gun. And it’s not because of one or two long runs. On the one play Sunday, he went about half-speed when he got the ball and allowed the pulling guards to get outside. The linebackers couldn’t flow hard because of Peterson’s action and that enabled the guards to block both of them; Peterson then cut inside their blocks for the gain. Patience.

10. These last two games could have gone either way and there are a handful of plays, if not made, would have resulted in a loss (or an overtime game if nothing else). Will those hurt at some point? They killed them in New Orleans so yeah they can. On the other hand, wins like that can help build something special for a team. Swearinger said there's been good urgency at practices (having a lot of youth helps this too). There's a togetherness they hope leads to something more. Health will dictate that too. Still, he said, "If we keep doing that and keep this thing of brotherly love it'll be hard to beat any defense that keeps the chemistry off the field."

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #101
Back2RFK
Special Teams

I also don't like seeing so many Dallas Fans in our stadium.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #102
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
The one thing on that though is it seems like TW could have taken on a different guy. Don't get me wrong, awesome block, and OUCH. but two defenders got behind TW as he trucked towards that guy.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #103
Back2RFK
Special Teams

An ugly win feel a whole lot better then a hard fought loss.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #104
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Skip Bayless crying allllll day long. LMAO
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #105
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Is it just me or does the fact we don't score in the 3rd qtr reflect how poorly Gruden makes adjustment at half time. I remember the days Gibbs would come out in the 3rd qtr an ball.
I think, if I remember the stat, we put up 124 yards in the 3rd quarter and Dallas had 4 total yards. We dominated the 3rd quarter, but scored 6 points. The issue was the failure to score TD's in the redzone
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote