Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Ukraine mega thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #226
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Hey there's about to be a war in Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So they didn't take land in Crimea or Georgia? Iran certainly wants northern Iraq land and would gladly partition northern Iraq and Syria.
he did want land in georgia and crimea, he doesn't in syria. it's far away and an obvious headache. they already had their own misadventures in afghanistan where jihadii's came from far and wide, and they're already up to ~5k deaths in crimea last i heard. they wanted those parts of georgia and the ukraine because they feel those people are russians and they've stated that they consider themselves responsible for all native russian speakers. their aims in syria and with iran are different than the ukraine.

if they wanted to rule syria, they could just invade it, and then they'd have the entire burden of fighting isis, which wouldn't be cheap or popular back home.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #227
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Kerry: Russia's deployment of fighter jets disturbing | Washington Examiner
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #228
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Kerry needs to get punched in his fucking face because him and the administration has let this happen. Fuck Kerry

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #229
Hog1

The last few lines pretty much...sum it up

After years of calls for Assad's removal, Kerry acknowledged this softening by saying that "we're not being doctrinaire about the specific date or time" that Assad must be removed.

"We're open," he noted, adding that Assad does not need to leave "on day one, or month one, or whatever."
Old 09-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #230
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
The last few lines pretty much...sum it up

After years of calls for Assad's removal, Kerry acknowledged this softening by saying that "we're not being doctrinaire about the specific date or time" that Assad must be removed.

"We're open," he noted, adding that Assad does not need to leave "on day one, or month one, or whatever."
Don't worry, Russia is just being friendly.

Sent from my S6 Edge
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #231
Hog1

lol
They've always been helpful like that.......
Old 09-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #232
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Amazing how aggressive Russian has been...equally amazing is our weak response allowing them to do whatever to whomever they want

Found it interesting Russia has announced they will be stepping up and taking in Syrian refugees and ate constructing camps and are sending humanitarian aid to parts of Syria. vSo basically they are beating us to the punch in every aspect of the Syrian crisis.

He Gets Us
Old 02-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #233
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

10 maps that explain Russia's strategy - Business Insider

I found this article very interesting. It lays out in very clear terms the role that Ukraine/Russian geography plays and the dynamics of Russian geography. In particular was one pair of maps that showed the boundary of the German advance in 1942:

vs the current map if Ukraine is considered to be unfriendly to Russia:

Basically you could see a Russian mindset that they have lost nearly as much over the last 20 years as Germany took in 1942.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #234
SunnySide
Playmaker

Bump ... lots of saber rattling lately but who knows what Putin really intends to do.

This feels like it could be an actual traditional war. Helmet on helmet .. no proxy taliban iraq isis yemen stuff. Syria was pretty close but it was a proxy civil war in my estimate.

One thing is for sure, if it does happen, the political talking points on the left and right in this country will be predictable trench tribal warfare.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:03 AM   #235
nonniey
The Starter

Unfortunately the Ukraine is in a worse tactical/strategic position than they were in 2014 the last time the Russians made a major move against them (I'm not counting the Donbass situation at that level). Their fleet for all intents was wiped out in 2014 as most of their units were interned in Crimea. If the Russians want to take the whole shebang I think they could.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #236
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Unfortunately the Ukraine is in a worse tactical/strategic position than they were in 2014 the last time the Russians made a major move against them (I'm not counting the Donbass situation at that level). Their fleet for all intents was wiped out in 2014 as most of their units were interned in Crimea. If the Russians want to take the whole shebang I think they could.
The situation is interesting. Im not going to pretend to know the nuances of the past 30 years of Ukraine-Russia divorce but it seems Putin can take this as far as he wants. Parts of eastern Ukraine he could probably take in a week with his green men. Id guess he has enough clandestine forces there now to do a Crimea. Eastern Ukraine is mostly pro Russia it seems.

I just cant imagine western Ukraine or Kyiv going quietly. They are pro west and theres no way Russia will be able to get away with all the civilian deaths in Ukraine like they did in Syria. Cyber attacks or not, video will get out of crimes against humanity.

Id guess Putin takes parts of eastern Ukraine, solidifies lines and then tries to turn down the temperature. He would have achieved his goal of pouring cold water on the hopes of the people of Ukraine or Georgia ever becoming a NATO member. Perhaps they stop electing pro Nato presidents bc these campaign promises of "we will join NATO" are starting to ring hollow. Thye mght be forced to accept a more pro russian stance allowing Russia to offer them the carrot and not the stick.

Going into western Ukraine or Kyiv ... the snake might choke itself.

https://www.vox.com/22917719/russia-...nato-explained

^^^ a good basic info, how-did-we-get-here article.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #237
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
The situation is interesting. Im not going to pretend to know the nuances of the past 30 years of Ukraine-Russia divorce but it seems Putin can take this as far as he wants. Parts of eastern Ukraine he could probably take in a week with his green men. Id guess he has enough clandestine forces there now to do a Crimea. Eastern Ukraine is mostly pro Russia it seems.

I just cant imagine western Ukraine or Kyiv going quietly. They are pro west and theres no way Russia will be able to get away with all the civilian deaths in Ukraine like they did in Syria. Cyber attacks or not, video will get out of crimes against humanity.

Id guess Putin takes parts of eastern Ukraine, solidifies lines and then tries to turn down the temperature. He would have achieved his goal of pouring cold water on the hopes of the people of Ukraine or Georgia ever becoming a NATO member. Perhaps they stop electing pro Nato presidents bc these campaign promises of "we will join NATO" are starting to ring hollow. Thye mght be forced to accept a more pro russian stance allowing Russia to offer them the carrot and not the stick.

Going into western Ukraine or Kyiv ... the snake might choke itself.

https://www.vox.com/22917719/russia-...nato-explained

^^^ a good basic info, how-did-we-get-here article.
This is a dangerous game of chicken being played.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:28 AM   #238
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
Am I interpreting this correctly you dislike Ukraine, or am I reading into it?
Old 02-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #239
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Does Ukraine want to join NATO or does NATO want Ukraine as a member? I think is kinda a sticking issue which hasn’t been answered.

He Gets Us
Old 02-16-2022, 08:41 AM   #240
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Does Ukraine want to join NATO or does NATO want Ukraine as a member? I think is kinda a sticking issue which hasn’t been answered.
Ya think??? JHC ,not the point chico,whatever it's Ukraines choice , not Putins.