Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Upshaw and Bauman are released

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-05-2004, 05:15 PM   #16
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Keeping only 4 CB is curious since Williams likes to run the style of defense he does, but he does say that Lott has corner skills and Taylor can drop down to cover.. We should have 4 CB and 4 (Taylor, Bowen, Lott, Franz) safeties so I would think that 8 DB's is about the same as any other team in the league.. Hopefully Rufus Brown gets put on the practice squad..

At RB I think they realized that Betts and McCollough are the same player, neither brings anything different than the other and since Cartwright is a special teams player as well as a short yardage option he got the nod.. Do you think John Simon is really hurt so badly he can't play at all or is this a classic Gibbs "stashing a player" like they did in the old days?

At TE, hopefully Royal can stay healthy this year, but other than that I'm not suprised at any of the cuts.

Upshaw didn't do anything to impress me so adios..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-05-2004, 05:36 PM   #17
offiss

Both Bauman, and Brown, cut, didn't see that coming, I would think that Scott, and Brown, will both be on the practice squad, no doubt, Sultan as well if he's not picked up. I like the fact that Ade made it, I think he has the most potential out of the rest of the CB's that have been cut, he is raw, but I guess the coaches feel he has shown an ability to progress. Clifton Smith is a lot bigger than I thought, wearing #54 he looked like Trotter out on the field, hopefully he will play better, glad to see him make it, I won't miss Upshaw, he was a waste of money.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #18
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

This isn't going to be the final roster. There are some interesting guys out there that got waived and may be signed this week. Stay tuned...
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #19
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUskinsfan11
also can't believe they kept all of those linebackers.
Teams typically keep a lot of LB's, especially teams that focus on their Special Teams unit, as linebackers are best suited for some of the roles on that squad.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #20
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRA
Just got the news on Redskins.com I think there are some surprises. How in the hell did Jimoh make the team over Rufus Brown? If we go based on performances in the preseason then Kozlowski, Royal, Jimoh, Ware, Sellers and Todd Franz should be packing their bags. I like Gari Scott from the first preseason game. I guess his TD reception in that game wasn't enough. Oh well, let's get ready for the Buccaneers.
Ware was cut over a month ago.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #21
skins009
Impact Rookie

Wow i can't say I agree with letting Bauman go and keeping Jimoh. Baumen to me looked good as a nickel corner. Jimoh though he was great physical skills, just plain sucks. He sucked last year and he sucked this preseason.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:56 PM   #22
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Well, I read something on here saying Williams told Jimoh to let guys by in the St. Louis game, not sure how much truth there is to that. One thing Jimoh does is work hard. He's modest and tries hard, remember, we have a new coaching staff where that means A LOT.

No big suprises. McCullough was the odd man out. He reminded me of trung the way he didn't hit holes. He'll get picked up somewhere, but doubt he'll be one we regret. Upshaw was a huge shock to me! I also hope someone picks up Hamdan.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #23
Hogskin
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I also hope someone picks up Hamdan.
I don't think anyone will be picking him up. He's headed for our practice squad along with several others that were dropped.
Hogskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 PM   #24
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

True, Hogskin.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #25
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwagonskins
This isn't going to be the final roster. There are some interesting guys out there that got waived and may be signed this week. Stay tuned...

Gotta agree with that. If I were the skins, I'd be combing the wire to fill a couple of pressing needs. I'm sure there have to be some respectable D-Linemen out there.
GoSkins! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

My thoughts on the cuts:

-Mildly surprised about Upshaw. He's never lived up to his first round hype and I think this is more of the case of Williams going with the youth movement. Warner showed enough to justify this cut.

-Only 4 corners? Something doesn't sound quite right here, I'm thinking the staff could have their eye on someone they knew was going to be cut today.

-Bauman, who cares? He's an average DB who didn't really pan out. He's not a huge loss. I am surprised however that Jimoh made the team over him, but as I've said before on this board my name doesn't start with 'Coach' so what do I know? I am a bit surprised Rufus Brown didn't make it, he seemed to have a good shot at making the team after a solid preseason.

-Not surprised about McCullough. I predicted a backfield of Portis, Betts, Cartwright and Morton. McCullough is still too raw, he's got the skills but from the sounds of his post-cut comments today he needs a bit more maturing.

-Hamdan and Scott are PS material. Scott had a good preseason but he wasn't going to beat out Jacobs for the #5 spot. Hamdan's a good kid with skills but he's still very green.

-Surprise of the day? By far it's OL Daryl Terrell. This guy has all-world potential, when is someone finally going to see this and give him the chance he deserves?? Screw the Ade Jimoh fanclub, Terrell is where it's at. I thought he had a hell of a camp and was dirtbag material.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:15 PM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Matty what did Sultan say?

I thought Rufus Brown might make it as well. I think one thing that Brown and Bauman had going against them was their size, or lack thereof. Especially now with these no contact rules being enforced undersized DBs are at a bit of a disadvantage wheras in the past they may have been able to do a little bumping and grabbing to stay with the receivers

Upshaw is no world beater but Warner is very raw and I haven't seen much of Daniels yet so I would have thought Upshaw would have helped if for no other reason he's a veteran presence
Old 09-05-2004, 09:17 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Sep5.html

"Honestly, I'm good enough to be on the roster," said McCullough, who lost out to Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright for the final running back spots and spoke to running backs coach Earnest Byner about the practice squad yesterday. "To me it's like a slap in the face [to go the practice squad], but I do want to be here, so hopefully everything will work out."
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #29
CRT3
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
I like the fact that Ade made it, I think he has the most potential out of the rest of the CB's that have been cut, he is raw, but I guess the coaches feel he has shown an ability to progress.
Guess you haven't been on this site nor watched the games to make this statement. Jimoh still has to go.
CRT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #30
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

When do they name the practice squad?

I agree, Matty. I bet they have their eye on another corner somewhere else. It's not that I don't like our corners (yes, I even have a soft spot for Ade. He's going to turn it around!), but they are INJURY PRONE! We need some depth here. Can Lott really play NFL CB?