Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins most balanced team in NFC East?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #31
Pocket$ $traight

Re: Redskins most balanced team in NFC East?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone
Better or higher paid ?Results are what matter .
If getting humiliated in the playoffs on your home field are the results you are looking for, give me the higher paid.

Honestly, if the G-men hadn't had 9 home games the division banner would be flying over Fed-Ex.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 PM   #32
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Questions on the Skins ........

1) OL...very suspect

2) QB...age , health ,ability

3)Kicking game ....? both punting and Kickoffs and returns .

4)New coaching ,how will team react to new OC ?

5) DB's ...health

6) DE's ???

....but as every team has done at least on paper it'seems that the Skins have improved some .
Just one gripe here, the OL is far from being "very suspect".

Samuels was a Pro Bowler last year, and Thomas and Jansen are two of the more underrated lineman in the league who perform at Pro Bowl levels but never get the cred they deserve. Rabach and Dockery are both solid as well. This was a line that helped crank out a 1500 yard rusher and helped produce a 1400+ yard WR.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #33
mcalderone10
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
broncos, colts, steelers, seahawks.
agree with everyone except the colts. W/o edge they have a HUGE Question mark?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #34
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalderone10
agree with everyone except the colts. W/o edge they have a HUGE Question mark?
Obviously I don't agree with any of them or I wouldn't have made the statement. The Broncos have Stars and holes. Little in between. Thats not balance. The Steelers are without offensive identity right now, which is important. I do believe that they will finish the best of the 4 teams listed. Mcalderone said it best about the Colts. Also the defense is a question mark whenever it plays good O's. It needs to generate turnovers for that team to be successful. The seahawks have yet to prove that their D can get it done. That playoff D did well, but they were playing the beat up Skins and one dimensional Panthers. So I don't think they are more balanced than us, but rather a close 2nd.

All teams have weaknesses, some more than others, but if you have balance, you can always rely on another part of your game to make up for injuries, drops in production and other unforseen events.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #35
Darrell_Green_28
The Starter

Quote:

1) OL...very suspect

5) DB's ...health

6) DE's ???

....but as every team has done at least on paper it'seems that the Skins have improved some .
I don't understand #3.. normally Both = 2, correct? but then lists Punting AND Kickoffs AND Returns I count 3 things there.
Darrell_Green_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:15 AM   #36
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:

1) OL...very suspect

5) DB's ...health

6) DE's ???

what are you talking about? our O line is in no way suspect, especially compared to the rest of the NFC east. our coverage was crazy last year and our return game wasn't bad with below average returners (ie, not Randle-El).

our DEs were solid last year and didn't hurt the team (even if they didn't have much pass rush), and both of last years starters are returning (though one will be a backup now), so i wouldn't list that as a question mark either.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #37
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25
defense wins championships.
I'm not picking on your personally dmek, but DAMN I'm sick of hearing that. FOOTBALL TEAMS win FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Defenses don't win championships. Just try leaving your offense and special teams at home and see how well the defense wins the championship.

Argh. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Had to vent.

/rant
Old 06-02-2006, 09:15 AM   #38
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Better or higher paid ?Results are what matter .
UH, has Coughlin won 3 bowls? Dont even put him in the same catagory. Our D coach has coached in a super bowl. Our O-Coordinator has won a super bowl. So, I believe we have the best coaching staff in the NFL. I may be a little crazy, but there are a lot of big silver footballs walking around Redskin park and a lot of big diamond rings! So get out of here with the over paid crap.

Go buy a #55 jersey and a #58 jersey.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #39
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig
I'm not picking on your personally dmek, but DAMN I'm sick of hearing that. FOOTBALL TEAMS win FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Defenses don't win championships. Just try leaving your offense and special teams at home and see how well the defense wins the championship.

Argh. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Had to vent.

/rant
You are absolutely correct. What did our #1 ranked defense get us in 2004? Answer -- a 6-10 record. That should settle the debate once and for all.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #40
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
You are absolutely correct. What did our #1 ranked defense get us in 2004? Answer -- a 6-10 record. That should settle the debate once and for all.
It really isnt a debate, of course you need good offense and special teams, but its more of a saying. But you guys cant sit here and say defense is not the most important. You cant just keep on slinging on the offensive side and hope to outscore your opponent, look at KC. Basically you can win a championship with a great defense, good special teams, and a weak offense, but you CANT win a championship with a great offense, good special teams, and a weak defense. If you have a defense that can create pressure and turnovers, it can put a bad offensive unit in an easier position to score. There are always extremes in this "debate", but on the whole you have to accept defense is a very important element of the team, if not the MOST important element. The saying is cliche, and I do not take it just at facevalue, but it does carry an element of truth. You def need special teams and the offensive to show up, and a good defense will complement them.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

Sure it's an old cliche but it does have some truth to it.

Playoff football usually boils down to who can run it, and who can play defense. That has always typically been the formula for postseason success.

If you take it for face value, of course it doesn't mean much. A #1 ranked D does not = a ring, but I'll take my chances in the playoffs everytime with a team that can run the ball and plays hard-nosed D.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #42
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

Playoff football usually boils down to who can run it, and who can play defense. That has always typically been the formula for postseason success.

If you take it for face value, of course it doesn't mean much. A #1 ranked D does not = a ring, but I'll take my chances in the playoffs everytime with a team that can run the ball and plays hard-nosed D.
totally agree, see my previous post.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #43
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72

So then, to be accurate, the saying should be: "defense, plus a strong running game wins championships."
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #44
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins
totally agree, see my previous post.
lol yeah I think we were posting at the same time
Old 06-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #45
mheisig
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
So then, to be accurate, the saying should be: "defense, plus a strong running game wins championships."
Actually, to be really accurate the saying should be "Defense is an important part of a larger scheme to win a championship."

Defense winning championships is not some magic formula. The only thing we can say for sure is that to win a championship you must have the necessary win-loss record to advance to the playoffs. During the playoffs you must win every game you play in order to advance to the Super Bowl. If you win in the Super Bowl, you are the NFL Championship team.

Sure, maybe Super Bowl Champion teams have typically had strong defenses. That doesn't mean that "Defense wins championships."

Damn sports cliches...

I sound like such an uptight prick - this must have been a much worse morning than I thought...