Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins most balanced team in NFC East?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #46
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Redskins most balanced team in NFC East?

I sound like such an uptight prick

Noooo, not at all.......................Jeez, what an uptight prick
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2006, 12:16 PM   #47
skindogger47
Special Teams

Ohter than Eli and Hasselback, our QB situation is just as stable if not moreso than most teams in the NFC.

Coaching and personnel changes--the Cowboys lost their OC without replacing him, the Giants are starting practically a whole new secondary and Lavar (who just might take some time to fit), and the Eagles lost their premier receiving threat. Greg Lewis and Reggie Brown just aren't going to be able to take the load off Westbrook.

That said, I think the Skins have a great chance this year of vaulting themselves into the league's elite.
skindogger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM   #48
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins
It really isnt a debate, of course you need good offense and special teams, but its more of a saying. But you guys cant sit here and say defense is not the most important. You cant just keep on slinging on the offensive side and hope to outscore your opponent, look at KC. Basically you can win a championship with a great defense, good special teams, and a weak offense, but you CAN'T win a championship with a great offense, good special teams, and a weak defense. If you have a defense that can create pressure and turnovers, it can put a bad offensive unit in an easier position to score. There are always extremes in this "debate", but on the whole you have to accept defense is a very important element of the team, if not the MOST important element. The saying is cliche, and I do not take it just at facevalue, but it does carry an element of truth. You def need special teams and the offensive to show up, and a good defense will complement them.
I don't mean to draw this out but ... screw it. It's the offseason.

The statement, "you CAN'T win a championship with a great offense, good special teams, and a weak defense" is false. Sure you can. Maybe your percentages of winning that way are lower, but it's certainly not impossible. An opposing team's offense might be out of sync or having an off day -- making your weak defense inconsequential to a win, assuming of course your great offense and good special teams are up to the task.

Bottom line, you need some of all three phases of the game, and a little help from your opponent won't hurt either.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #49
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven

The statement, "you CAN'T win a championship with a great offense, good special teams, and a weak defense" is false. Sure you can. Maybe your percentages of winning that way are lower, but it's certainly not impossible. An opposing team's offense might be out of sync or having an off day -- making your weak defense inconsequential to a win, assuming of course your great offense and good special teams are up to the task.

Bottom line, you need some of all three phases of the game, and a little help from your opponent won't hurt either.
That, and your defense can be terrible, but still generate turnovers, giving the ball to the offense to win. Watch for KC to win a bunch of games this year in that fashion.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #50
RiggoRules
Special Teams

The Skins have balance everywhere except QB.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #51
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic
UH, has Coughlin won 3 bowls? Dont even put him in the same catagory. Our D coach has coached in a super bowl. Our O-Coordinator has won a super bowl. So, I believe we have the best coaching staff in the NFL. I may be a little crazy, but there are a lot of big silver footballs walking around Redskin park and a lot of big diamond rings! So get out of here with the over paid crap.

Go buy a #55 jersey and a #58 jersey.
Oh sorry I thought we were talking about reality here ,coaching now not in 1990.
Giantone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #52
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven

The statement, "you CAN'T win a championship with a great offense, good special teams, and a weak defense" is false. Sure you can. Maybe your percentages of winning that way are lower, but it's certainly not impossible.
the rams did it. it is pretty rare though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #53
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone
Oh sorry I thought we were talking about reality here ,coaching now not in 1990.
sorry, i thought we weren't living under a rock for the last ten years. if you think al saunders and OC and gregg williams at DC are somehow worse than what NY has, well... good luck trying to argue that.

the number of DCs, and HCs in washington is insane.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #54
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggoRules
The Skins have balance everywhere except QB.
They have balance there too. Brunell can attack you in multiple ways. Short, deep, with his legs, conservatively letting the D do the work. He's got accuracy problems, but they pay the WR's to help him out. He does a great job putting them in ideal situations. I can understand the opinions of those who think that Brunell is a liability at QB, but I would ask someone of that mindset to tell me how good of a QB they would need to have behind C for us to feel secure at the position. C'mon guys, give me a name!

Our weakness is either our kicking game or our age at key positions like TE (Fauria comes in as a FA at age 35) and DE (Can Daniels play at a high level for another year?). We have some depth problems, but so does every team in the league. It's why the NFL is such a crapshoot.

Lemar needs to stay healthy because no one else can play the middle. Sean Taylor needs to stay healthy because he's a once in a lifetime talent. The DTs need to be healthy because of a lack of depth. Brunell, Portis, and Thomas are absolutely vital on offense. Cooley would be difficult to replace, but back to the point of this thread, we have the offensive balance to cover for his absence. Goalline and 3rd and short would get real interesting personelwise.

So as long as all of those guys stay relatively healthy, we'll see you in Miami.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:33 AM   #55
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012
I can understand the opinions of those who think that Brunell is a liability at QB, but I would ask someone of that mindset to tell me how good of a QB they would need to have behind C for us to feel secure at the position. C'mon guys, give me a name!

Lemar needs to stay healthy because no one else can play the middle. The DTs need to be healthy because of a lack of depth.
Tom brady, peyton manning, carson palmer, ben roth, mcnabb, etc

marcus washington can play the middle well. In 1 LB situations he's the guy that should always be on the field.

wynn and daniels (when evan subs at DE) are depth at DT, so we're okay there, though griffin, taylor, and washington are the 3 Defensive players we need to stay healthy because the talent level is so high.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #56
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
sorry, i thought we weren't living under a rock for the last ten years. if you think al saunders and OC and gregg williams at DC are somehow worse than what NY has, well... good luck trying to argue that.

the number of DCs, and HCs in washington is insane.
In the last 10 years how many super bowls has Al or Gregg gone to?I never said or implied that they were worse or better than NY ,what have the Skins done in the last 10 years ?You bring up the past I was responding to the question of present.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #57
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim21Reaper
If getting humiliated in the playoffs on your home field are the results you are looking for, give me the higher paid.

Honestly, if the G-men hadn't had 9 home games the division banner would be flying over Fed-Ex.

LOL,honestly ...no.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:34 AM   #58
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
In the last 10 years how many super bowls has Al or Gregg gone to?I never said or implied that they were worse or better than NY ,what have the Skins done in the last 10 years ?You bring up the past I was responding to the question of present.

I'm very much talking about the present... apparently you're having issues with that though.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #59
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell_Green_28
I don't understand #3.. normally Both = 2, correct? but then lists Punting AND Kickoffs AND Returns I count 3 things there.
1) Field goals ..pretty good
2)Kickoffs........not bad ,need more downed in the end zone
3)Kickoff returns ....better starting average
4)Punter ..better hang time and placement = better coverage and less return yards.
5)Punt returns need more return yards from your guys and better pressure on the other teams punter .
Old 06-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #60
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy

I'm very much talking about the present... apparently you're having issues with that though.
not me all I did was answer a question .:smashfrea

You brought up the last 10 years ....

Franchise Player

Posts per day: 12.31

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

the number of DCs, and HCs in washington is insane