Mark Sanchez at 13th?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Mark Sanchez at 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Dude, the guy knows Matt Leinart. Personally.

Not to mention the fact that he went to USC which we all know is so close to D.C. which makes him practicly a hometown hero

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #17
dmek25
MVP

:smashfrea
just one question, why?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
70Chip
Playmaker

Well it's high time we had SOMEBODY named Sanchez on the team.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Dude, the guy knows Matt Leinart. Personally.
Sooo true. I was living in Az when they drafted Leinart. Do you know how bad you gotta be to be the savior of the team and beat out by a washed up 40 year old Warner. Well at the time he was considered washed up.

I'll give Sanchez one thing, he seems to be more concerned bout football then Hollywood.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
Sooo true. I was living in Az when they drafted Leinart. Do you know how bad you gotta be to be the savior of the team and beat out by a washed up 40 year old Warner. Well at the time he was considered washed up.

I'll give Sanchez one thing, he seems to be more concerned bout football then Hollywood.
Being totally honest, the smart money is on Leinart to have the better career of the two. Hollywood or no Hollywood. He needs to get a chance obviously, and while I'm not sure that will be in 'Zona, the chances that Warner gets hurt this year are better than 50/50.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 AM   #21
53Fan
Franchise Player

Didn't Pete Carroll say he wasn't even ready to come out? Or is that just thought of as a coach trying to keep his player?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 AM   #22
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Didn't Pete Carroll say he wasn't even ready to come out? Or is that just thought of as a coach trying to keep his player?
Both. Carroll used objective evidence to show Sanchez that he was making the wrong decision. Reportedly, even Sanchez' parents feel he probably should have had another year. Sanchez is pretty much alone in trying to cash in.

That's the reason I suggested last year to avoid DT, guy wants a payday first, a strong career second. Sanchez, flat out, came out because he felt he could be a first round draft pick in a "weak class". If any team spends a first round pick on him, they've 1) proved him right, and 2) deserve what they have coming.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 AM   #23
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Both. Carroll used objective evidence to show Sanchez that he was making the wrong decision. Reportedly, even Sanchez' parents feel he probably should have had another year. Sanchez is pretty much alone in trying to cash in.

That's the reason I suggested last year to avoid DT, guy wants a payday first, a strong career second. Sanchez, flat out, came out because he felt he could be a first round draft pick in a "weak class". If any team spends a first round pick on him, they've 1) proved him right, and 2) deserve what they have coming.
I remember Carroll being pretty adamant about it. I personally want nothing to do with him and don't expect much more than a backup out of him. Supposedly he reads the field pretty well but forces things at times resulting in TO's. I think a lot of QB's could have done well with that team.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #24
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Not to mention the fact that he went to USC which we all know is so close to D.C. which makes him practicly a hometown hero
Gene Roddenberry had a vision..............

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:30 AM   #25
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

I thought taking a break from the site would get rid of all the dumb posts. Guess nothing has changed in 2009
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
I remember Carroll being pretty adamant about it. I personally want nothing to do with him and don't expect much more than a backup out of him. Supposedly he reads the field pretty well but forces things at times resulting in TO's. I think a lot of QB's could have done well with that team.
Well, he completed 64% of his college passes to Staffords 58.something%. In that respect he's a better prospect. Except that, over one single season of data, who cares? That 64% is meaningless without large sample context. Then there's the talent bubble that is U.S.C.

This guy had a really good comp% in college, you know, he of the 57.3% NFL figure.

Vince Young Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

If this guy (of 54.2% fame) had been able to declare after his Sophomore year, he would have been viewed very differently as a prospect, that's for sure:

Rex Grossman Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

So basically, guys need to be good, but they also need to do it in a large sample.

I love watching Matt Stafford throw balls down the sideline, but if he only completes 58% of his passes, well, I know as an NFL GM, I can do better. In Sanchez' case, well, you probably had a better offense at USC then you'll have in the NFL, so I'm gambling a ton on that adjustment.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 AM   #27
53Fan
Franchise Player

Wink Re: Mark Sanchez at 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican'Skin View Post
I thought taking a break from the site would get rid of all the dumb posts. Guess nothing has changed in 2009
No. You leaving didn't take away from the dumb posts at all. How's things down on the island?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #28
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Well, he completed 64% of his college passes to Staffords 58.something%. In that respect he's a better prospect. Except that, over one single season of data, who cares? That 64% is meaningless without large sample context. Then there's the talent bubble that is U.S.C.

This guy had a really good comp% in college, you know, he of the 57.3% NFL figure.

Vince Young Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

If this guy (of 54.2% fame) had been able to declare after his Sophomore year, he would have been viewed very differently as a prospect, that's for sure:

Rex Grossman Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

So basically, guys need to be good, but they also need to do it in a large sample.

I love watching Matt Stafford throw balls down the sideline, but if he only completes 58% of his passes, well, I know as an NFL GM, I can do better. In Sanchez' case, well, you probably had a better offense at USC then you'll have in the NFL, so I'm gambling a ton on that adjustment.
Yeah, 65.6%. Not bad. I guess he should have pulled a Sanchez and came out then. Of course whoever drafted him high would still be kicking themselves today. Edit: I just saw he was the 22nd overall pick by the Bears.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:49 AM   #29
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah, 65.6%. Not bad. I guess he should have pulled a Sanchez and came out then. Of course whoever drafted him high would still be kicking themselves today.
Technically, he wasn't allowed to leave after his Soph. year. NFL rules require three seasons out of H.S. before you can enter the draft. But yeah, like Sanchez it would have been a good career decision.

Nothing would make me happier to see Sanchez fall to the second round, but it only takes one team to make him a first round pick. I can't in good conscience predict that no team with a need at QB will be irresponsible.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #30
53Fan
Franchise Player

I understand what you're saying Tripp and I agree. There has been a history of high "Flash in the pan" picks in the draft that have not worked out. A one year wonder is not what I'm looking for in the draft which is also why I still have some doubts about Maybin.