Coaching Staff update

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Coaching Staff update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Seriously, it's not like Moss is doing anything as a wide receiver, why not throw him in the mix as a PR or KR and see what happens, worst case we stay below average
True, but is that Danny Smiths call? Khary Campbell...gone. James Thrash...gone. If people will remember it was Zorn that ARE went to to try to keep his job as PR and it was Zorn that kept him there. Smith has been given an ever changing roster to work with. My point was that we don't seem to, lately, put as much into ST's as we use to and that doesn't all fall on Smith. I'm not speaking to you specifically rbanerjee, but at lot of people around here don't seem to give much thought to anything other then,"Get rid of him!'.

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #32
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm not sure how you rank the ST's coach but he D.Smith sucks. He's been here what 6 yrs and not one KR for a TD. I don't even think 1 PR for a TD.

D.Smith is completely the problem. His whole scheme is horrid. I hope the meeting with the assistant coach's was just a formality. Fire them all and bring in your team Shanahan.
The depth of your thinking is amazing.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #33
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
True, but is that Danny Smiths call? Khary Campbell...gone. James Thrash...gone. If people will remember it was Zorn that ARE went to to try to keep his job as PR and it was Zorn that kept him there. Smith has been given an ever changing roster to work with. My point was that we don't seem to, lately, put as much into ST's as we use to and that doesn't all fall on Smith. I'm not speaking to you specifically rbanerjee, but at lot of people around here don't seem to give much thought to anything other then,"Get rid of him!'.
Yes. 'Tis the season for housecleaning and everyone is in the spirit.

In touting Bobby April, I have nothing against Danny Smith. I'm simply presuming that Shanny will let him go. Maybe Shanny won't.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #34
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yes. 'Tis the season for housecleaning and everyone is in the spirit.

In touting Bobby April, I have nothing against Danny Smith. I'm simply presuming that Shanny will let him go. Maybe Shanny won't.
I'm in no way trying to sing Smiths praises, just pointing out that there is more to the story. Bobby April is a very good ST''s coach. Either way, I have a feeling more attention will be given toward ST's as a unit than the previous 2 years.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #35
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
I'm in no way trying to sing Smiths praises, just pointing out that there is more to the story. Bobby April is a very good ST''s coach. Either way, I have a feeling more attention will be given toward ST's as a unit than the previous 2 years.
And to that I say "Yay!" Let's block some Dallas punts before they hit the jumbotron!

(Gollee, the season's been over for 4 days and I'm ready for the Skins to take the field again.)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #36
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
And to that I say "Yay!" Let's block some Dallas punts before they hit the jumbotron!

(Gollee, the season's been over for 4 days and I'm ready for the Skins to take the field again.)
Maybe with the recent and coming changes we can start playing more than 16 games a season. :thumb:
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #37
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSkinsFan View Post
Kyle Shanahan on switching jobs to Redskins

Kyle Shanahan interview video on joining the Redskins
Thanks for that Video PennSkinsFan its nice to see a young O-Cood coming to the Skins with some new fresh ideas. The Texans had no problem scoring points thats for sure. He did say however its nice to have a franchise QB so I hope JC can be that in the near future with the Skins.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #38
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Simply to add a little depth to my commentary, Although he's not bad there are better ST coach's out there. Coach's that for whatever reason teach a better blocking scheme that on a consistant basis enables the KR or PR to get yards or returns for TD's. Chicago with Hester, Browns with Cribbs, Minn. with Harvin just to name a few. Now this year I think Chicago used Hester differently and had another player Danieal Manning as their KR and the team ranked 16 well below Betts and the Skins. The other players I mentioned all had KR's for TD's. However I'll admit some are lower statistically then Betts. Just like Atlanta's Norwood is ranked 1st among all KR's but no TD. I presume it's due to average yards.

I guess if your going to say that maybe D.Smith was not the problem cause he a good ST coach then you have to say, as you suggested, it's the players. Was it Rock? Lack of good sized blockers? What? I honestly don't see this team ever having KR or PR for TD's as long as D.Smith is here. Even when Moss was back PRing he couldn't get much yards. Yes he did better then ARE but gainging an extra 5 yrds or simply being able to make the first tackler miss but not gain any yards does not do it for me.
The scheme is consistant if thats what you want. It will constantly get you to the 30 yard line. Atleast if there is one good thing it's knowing that everytime the other team kicks off you know you will start at the 30 yard line consistantly.

Maybe I was the only one to wonder how the new rule, no wedges, would effect the Skins? It clearly didn't sound like it was going to help us get beyond the 30 yard line. I sat back wondering during the summer if D.Smith would be able to come up with a decent blocking scheme following this new rule. To my amazement we stayed "medium". LOL. We neither got better nor got worse. However I saw some teams get better like the Eagles with Johnson and Giants. Now before you go all out and look for the stats and throw them up saying "how can you say these things?" when Betts was obviously higher statistically? I'm not talking statistics. It's not all about statistics. Atleast not to me. Betts will get you 29 yards consistantly. Good. Not sure if it's Betts or D.Smith's scheme. Then I see other players like Hester(when he KR), Cribbs, and Harvin who might not do anything for 2 or 3 KR's but then roll off a 50 yarder or take a return into the opposing teams side of the field. Both the Eagles and Giants were notorious for that.

Again maybe it's just me but if we are some what cleaning out our closet but not cleaning house D.Smith is on my list to get swept out.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
Thanks for that Video PennSkinsFan its nice to see a young O-Cood coming to the Skins with some new fresh ideas. The Texans had no problem scoring points thats for sure. He did say however its nice to have a franchise QB so I hope JC can be that in the near future with the Skins.

If it's the same video I watched I think he was refering to Schuab. Not JC. If anyone still see's JC as a frachise QB you need to get your head checked. Unless your refering to a franchise backup then yes. I think if we can shore up the OL and give JC all day to throw the ball and teach the receivers how to get wide open we should do well.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #40
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Simply to add a little depth to my commentary, Although he's not bad there are better ST coach's out there. Coach's that for whatever reason teach a better blocking scheme that on a consistant basis enables the KR or PR to get yards or returns for TD's. Chicago with Hester, Browns with Cribbs, Minn. with Harvin just to name a few. Now this year I think Chicago used Hester differently and had another player Danieal Manning as their KR and the team ranked 16 well below Betts and the Skins. The other players I mentioned all had KR's for TD's. However I'll admit some are lower statistically then Betts. Just like Atlanta's Norwood is ranked 1st among all KR's but no TD. I presume it's due to average yards.

I guess if your going to say that maybe D.Smith was not the problem cause he a good ST coach then you have to say, as you suggested, it's the players. Was it Rock? Lack of good sized blockers? What? I honestly don't see this team ever having KR or PR for TD's as long as D.Smith is here. Even when Moss was back PRing he couldn't get much yards. Yes he did better then ARE but gainging an extra 5 yrds or simply being able to make the first tackler miss but not gain any yards does not do it for me.
The scheme is consistant if thats what you want. It will constantly get you to the 30 yard line. Atleast if there is one good thing it's knowing that everytime the other team kicks off you know you will start at the 30 yard line consistantly.

Maybe I was the only one to wonder how the new rule, no wedges, would effect the Skins? It clearly didn't sound like it was going to help us get beyond the 30 yard line. I sat back wondering during the summer if D.Smith would be able to come up with a decent blocking scheme following this new rule. To my amazement we stayed "medium". LOL. We neither got better nor got worse. However I saw some teams get better like the Eagles with Johnson and Giants. Now before you go all out and look for the stats and throw them up saying "how can you say these things?" when Betts was obviously higher statistically? I'm not talking statistics. It's not all about statistics. Atleast not to me. Betts will get you 29 yards consistantly. Good. Not sure if it's Betts or D.Smith's scheme. Then I see other players like Hester(when he KR), Cribbs, and Harvin who might not do anything for 2 or 3 KR's but then roll off a 50 yarder or take a return into the opposing teams side of the field. Both the Eagles and Giants were notorious for that.

Again maybe it's just me but if we are some what cleaning out our closet but not cleaning house D.Smith is on my list to get swept out.
Hester, Cribbs, Harvin....think that might have something to do with it?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Hester, Cribbs, Harvin....think that might have something to do with it?
yeah just maybe, those guys don't need much of a crease to break it big
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Apparently Snyder, the owner (as opposed to Shanahan, the head coach and executive vice president of football operations) is interested in bobby april.

Redskins interested in April | ProFootballTalk.com

who do you think snyder wants to be our defensive coordinator, offensive line coach, linebackers coach, etc.? i hope snyder assembles the best coaching staff possible and gives it to shanahan.
Based on this source (PFT) I think we might want to take Florio's "source" with a grain of salt. Sorry, not buying that Snyder is forcing coaches on Shanahan.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #43
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm not talking statistics. It's not all about statistics. Atleast not to me. Betts will get you 29 yards consistantly. Good. .
I guess the fact that Betts only returned one kick is a statistic that was ignored in your thought process.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

So this is going to be WAAAAYYYY off topic:

I heard, but have no substantial proof, that DS is going to renovate FEDEX and put in HD Jumbotrons at the Endzones (or maybe just one?) I don't know anymore than that, but I will say that is a change that Daniel Snyder as owner can and should make ASAP. I will mock Dallas' cuz it's overly ridiculous, but ours are so awful that they need to something to get done now.

ok back on topic, I so want to be a bug in MS' office in all of these interviews. It's got to be fascinating, as Spock would say.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #45
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I prefer to keep spending on upgrading the team and coaches instead of having a huge TV and Wade Phillips.