Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Taylor Effing Heinicke

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Next year Taylor Heinicke will be...
Starting QB for the WFT 15 23.08%
Solid backup for the WFT 33 50.77%
Starter or backup for another team 2 3.08%
I have no clue 15 23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #196
irish
Playmaker

Re: Taylor Effing Heinicke

The only upside of Heinicke getting all this playing time is finding out once and for all that he doesn't have what it takes.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #197
MTK
\m/

Definitely bigger issues but QB will also be under the microscope fair or not. If we're going to praise him when he plays well it's only fair game to critique him when he doesn't.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:29 PM   #198
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Definitely bigger issues but QB will also be under the microscope fair or not. If we're going to praise him when he plays well it's only fair game to critique him when he doesn't.
Yeah for the most part he had good protection on Sunday and was just awful.. He's a better option than Allen though, simply because he's a gunslinger and allen is checkdown charlie. Losing Logan Thomas was a big hit
Old 10-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #199
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yeah for the most part he had good protection on Sunday and was just awful.. He's a better option than Allen though, simply because he's a gunslinger and allen is checkdown charlie. Losing Logan Thomas was a big hit
Checkdown Charlie would be ok with me as long as he's not checking it down to the opponent. This defense isn't good enough to give extra possessions to the other team.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #200
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Checkdown Charlie would be ok with me as long as he's not checking it down to the opponent. This defense isn't good enough to give extra possessions to the other team.
Its a double edged sword with Heineke or Fitz... Both will throw picks but they will also throw TD's downfield..
Old 10-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #201
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I agree on both, just seems like a ton of piling on for a guy with 5 nfl starts, who is 2-3 as a starter, and led the team to more consistent scoring then we have seen in 5 years.

Personally I would have liked them jumping up for Mac jones, and they definitely should have drafted a guy in the 3rd, but for this season as it is, Heinicke has not been the biggest failure of this staff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #202
SunnySide
Playmaker

Im trying to mute my criticism of him but I think he is frustrating Turner.

- He doesnt see the field well. Theres a video of his eyes circulating on the net as an example of how "quickly" he goes through his progressions. But I dont see it as a QB going through his progressions, more like a young inexperienced QB not knowing what he is seeing and panicing.

Can you call it going through progressions if the end result is he doesnt actually throw the ball and tucks/scrambles?

- he doesnt throw with anticipation. rarely do we see him releasing the ball before a receiver comes out of their break. Receivers are running routes to be timed and in rythm with how many steps the QB takes in his drop back. 3 step = quick short route, 5 or 7 steps = longer routes. Rarely does he release the ball on time in rythm with the play call.

- he creates the need to scramble. Like above, he holds the ball bc he doesnt get the ball out on time and instead has to see if his receiver is open open and won the route before he throws it.

Turner might as well not even call plays and just tell Heinike to scramble around and see if a receiver can run backyard routes to get open. Everything on this offense is "off schedule" plays. Double edge sword.

- he chooses bad "down and distance" moments to go YOLO. It was a 30-22 score, 1 possession game vs Atlanta, when he chucked a 50/50 ball to McLaurin for the miraculous TD.

It was 1st and 10 from Atlanta's 17 yard line with 6 mins left.

You dont throw up 50/50 balls in the red zone on a 1 possession game ON 1st DOWN in the 4th quarter.

Saints game, tied 13-13, its 2nd and 7 and we have the ball on Saints 16 yard line. You dont throw a 50/50 ball to Samuel on 2nd and 7 in the red zone.

Saints game, score is 20-16 Saints ... we are on our 2 yard line ... you dont stare down then force a throw to Deandre Carter who is blanketed. You dont throw 50/50 balls from your 2 yard line in a 4 point game.

- Defenses, like the Bills, should start playing single high safety and just defend the first 20 yards from the LOS. Things are going to get harder for him. he cant push the ball down field outside the numbers.

-----------------------

With all that said ... im trying to embrace the positives he does bring. He competes and cares. He can scramble and make plays with his legs.

He can see and throw the easier "training wheel" routes like crosses, slants, digs. Seams and post routes are his best medium to long throw he seems to see and throw okay.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #203
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
The defense was supposed to be, and has the talent to be. Whatever the reason it isn't, is the biggest issue right now.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #204
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Its a double edged sword with Heineke or Fitz... Both will throw picks but they will also throw TD's downfield..
The two sides of the double edged sword right now are the offense and the defense.

They are both responsible for where this team is. It can be argued that one is more responsible than the other, or that there have been some bright spots on both sides, but the truth is, neither is very good so far.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #205
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
The two sides of the double edged sword right now are the offense and the defense.

They are both responsible for where this team is. It can be argued that one is more responsible than the other, or that there have been some bright spots on both sides, but the truth is, neither is very good so far.
The offense ranks 12th in points. Defense 31st. There is clear blame to be placed. If in August it was said our offense would be top 15 in points scored, all of us would have been happy.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #206
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The offense ranks 12th in points. Defense 31st. There is clear blame to be placed. If in August it was said our offense would be top 15 in points scored, all of us would have been happy.

As we all know stats never tell the entire story. The offense has put the defense in some bad situations w/ turnovers. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #207
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The offense has been solid but it has also scored some garbage time points as well like the bills game
Old 10-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #208
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
As we all know stats never tell the entire story. The offense has put the defense in some bad situations w/ turnovers. Plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.
You can't convince me that it's equally on the offense and defense. If the defense doesn't give up a hail Mary with no effort, we win the saints game. If the defense makes one stop in the last 5 minutes, I think we have a good shot to win the saints game. If Heinicke played the whole Chargers game, maybe we win that one too. Fitz did nothing the first half.

Heinicke isn't Favre, he probably isn't the answer, but the defense needs to get its act together. Not that it will.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #209
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You can't convince me that it's equally on the offense and defense. If the defense doesn't give up a hail Mary with no effort, we win the saints game. If the defense makes one stop in the last 5 minutes, I think we have a good shot to win the saints game. If Heinicke played the whole Chargers game, maybe we win that one too. Fitz did nothing the first half.

Heinicke isn't Favre, he probably isn't the answer, but the defense needs to get its act together. Not that it will.

Totally agree, and Ill just make it simple. We are 12th in points scored per game. We are 31st in points allowed. End of argument. Defense is responsible for this train wreck.

punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #210
MTK
\m/

The D has been fucking atrocious. The offense has been more than serviceable.